It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone Have Sinus Surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User
    Anyone Have Sinus Surgery?

I was just wondering of those of you that have had sinus surgery....Do you always sound nasally like you have a cold? I think they took so much stuff out of my nose this time that I will always sound like this. It is a good thing I do not sing for a living...I would have lost my paying job.

I thought it was just me thinking I sound nasally, but someone asked me if I had a cold...What a drag! The ENT let me see the computer screen as he was scoping the nose after surgery and I swear it looks as though he cut a big hole in the inside of my nose on the one side.

If you have had revision sinus surgery, how often do you have to have these? This is my second surgery in three years. I put it off for one year, but was constantly sick and could not stand taking the steroids and antibiotics anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: Anyone Have Sinus Surgery?

I had sinus surgery, including a polypectomy and reconstruction of my septum. I had the surgery in May, and this is the first fall in a couple of years that I could breathe and basically function. I sound A LOT better than I did prior to surgery.

What has your ENT said about your stuffy sound? How long ago did you have the surgery? Is the stuffy sound because of the surgery, or are you just being affected by your environment?

Ask your ENT about the "hole." You're paying him big money and he should be explaining EVERYTHING about the surgery. You need to determine what exactly happened...

My ENT told me that while he can not say that I'll NEVER need sinus surgery, he thinks that in most people (including myself), it's avoidable. I'm currently being treated by an allergist, who I see monthly, and I get 2 allergy injections every week. Both the ENT and the allergist agree that this course of treatment should deter my problems and a future surgery.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User
    Re: Anyone Have Sinus Surgery?

My sinus surgery was at the end of August. I went to a teaching institution with an excellent reputation. I actually did not ask him about the stuffy sound since I thought I was the only one hearing it.

I started allergy shots three years ago after my last surgery. They told me if I did not start the allergy shots I would develop asthma and need more surgery. I get three shots once a month. I have developed asthma anyway and needed a second surgery in August. The difference between this surgeon and the other though is that he is bringing me back every six months to keep an eye on everything.

I insisted that he fix the left side when he did the surgery because I was told by two other surgeons that they thought it was actually causing the problem with the right. I was also told that I had a polyp on the left, but he argued that I did not. He reluctantly fixed the left side, but told me that whatever he took out could not go back in. I am beginning to get the awful headaches I did before the surgery on the left side. I think he should have gone into the sinuses above the eye on the left side, but only went into the maxillary. I am hoping I do not have to have a repeat. His assistant told me that he did remove a polyp so I do not know why he was so insistent about me not having a polyp. I think it is him just not wanting the patient to tell him what the problem was.

The stuffy sound is coming from my nose..My allergies are under control thank goodness.

Closed Thread