It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• No fever or cough - still sinus infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User
    Question No fever or cough - still sinus infection?

I'm not sure if I should go to the doctor or not. I have lots of allergies and get sinus infections. Right now, I have lots of blood in my nose and I'm VERY tired for no reason, however, I have no cough or fever. I know I should consult a physician and I'm not asking for a DX, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if this could be a bacterial infection or if it is a virus. I feel that doctors give antibiotics for just about anything and I don't want to take them unless I absolutely have to. Any ideas/thoughts/opinions? Thanks a bunch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: No fever or cough - still sinus infection?

It oculd be an infection, yes.

There are 2 types of sinus infections (generally). One is an acute infection caused by a virus that lasts for a week or so. Fever and coughing are symptoms, along with headaches, and gunk coming out the nose. The second type is a chronic infection which is often bacterial. Symptoms are not as severe, and rarely include fever or coughing. Gunk comes out the nose (even blood), headaches, and cloudy vision.

Both can be treated through irrigation, Advil-Sinus (and other meds), and attention to allergies. If the bacterial infection is severe and long-lasting, you will need to see an ENT. He might prescribe antibiotics.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I should also mention that some antibiotics are very dangerous, and should only be used as a last resort (or not at all). These include Avelox, Levaquin, and Cipro (floroquinolones). These drugs can cause permanent nerve damage, ruptured tendons, chronic tendonitis, psychosis, etc. About 10% of people have a severe adverse reaction to these drugs which requires ongoing treatment and usually physical therapy. This is the last thing you need.

Stick with more traditional drugs like Penicillan, Augmentin, Ceftin, etc.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

I must get both types of infections, alternating b/c sometimes the dr says its a virus, and gives antibiotics, other times it's just an infection.

If antibiotics are so dangerous WHY is that all our educated so called that is, doctors wish to treat sinuses with??

Old 11-29-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Doctors are largely unaware of the side-effects of floroquinolone antibiotics. These drugs are classified as antibiotics, but they work in a different manner. Some publications list them as "chemo-therapy."

Avelox and Cipro have been free of scruitiny because of the Anthrax/terrorism scare. Avlox was pushed through the FDA approval process because it can treat Anthrax. Other floroquinolones receive the same preferential treatment.

These drugs are about a thousand times more dangerous than Vioxx. Vioxx affected about 30-40 people nationwide. 20,000 people have had severe reactions to floroquinolones, which have included peripheral neuropathy, permanent muscular-skelital damage, psychosis, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (where your immune system goes haywire an burns you from the inside out -killing you in the process), ruptured tendons in the back and legs. Worse yet, some of these reactions happened months after taking the drug.

My doctors have been instructed not to give any of these drugs to my wife, kid, or me. I suffered nerve damage in my arms, vasculitis, chronic tendonitis, and lots of muscular pain after taking Avelox. It has taken me more than 7 months to recover. I lost 20 pounds, and could barely climb a flight of stairs (I'm 34).

It's not worth it. Other antibiotics are perfectly safe, save for stomach upset or potential allergic reaction.

Scientists and doctors don't know why some people have these horrible reactions to floroquinolones. But here is some food for thought....

1. If a race-horse is given a floroquinolone antibiotic, it's value goes immediately to $0. That horse cannot be sold. It is listed as "lame" even if it didn;t have a negative reaction.

2. When I purchased my dog (an English Mastiff), there was a disclosure form regarding floroquinolones. If the dog had ever been given these drugs, the breeder was required by law to state it.

3. When Bayer was doing clinical trials for Avelox, they gave the drug to dogs for testing (Collies). The dogs ended up lame and crippled. Nevertheless, the drug made it into human trials. I would love for someone to tell me how they pulled this one off!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Interesting info on anti-biotics. Unfortunately, I am allergic the most of the traditional antibiotics. I'll keep this info in mind, though.

I bought some Afrin (which I used for 3 days only) and my sinuses are better now.
    I don't know what is causing the fatigue, but at least I nailed one symptom. hehe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread