It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone Ever Use Ketek for sinus infections?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User
    Anyone Ever Use Ketek for sinus infections?

Has anyone ever used Ketek for sinus infections? Did it make you sick? I was supposed to take two pills, but have only taken one because I feel a little dizzy from it. I cannot tolerate the Levaquin anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User
    Re: Anyone Ever Use Ketek for sinus infections?

No, have never take Ketek unless there is another name for it that I am unaware of. Levaquin is a heavey antibiotic, and only those that can tolerate it should take it, I'm not one of them. Omnicef really helped me with my last sinus infection.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

Ketek is new, but the other name on the box is telithromycin. You take it one time a day, 800 mg, for five days. It is supposed to knock the infection out of you. I have a horrible metal taste in my mouth from it and feel a little nauseated, but that was listed as a side effect. What are in these antibiotics anyway?

Old 12-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

I have to say that this is one of the best antibiotics I have taken for a sinus infection in a long time. It is a little hard on the stomach, but I feel like pac man is in my head just gobbling up the little fellows growing in there.

GH

Old 12-23-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Ketek is like Erithromycin, and is very safe. I'm not sure how effective it is.

Drugs like Levaquin, ****o, and Avelox should not be used for sinus infections generally. These are dangerous medications, with debilitating side effects like tendon ruptures, nerve damage, psychosis, paralysis, etc. There is a movement within the medical community to stop doctors from prescribing these drugs unless it is a life-threatening situation, such as bone infection, osteo-mylitis, etc.

I spent 6 months in physical therapy, and racked up $20,000 in medical bills (which insurance covers fortunately), thanks to a bad reaction to Avelox.

The following user gives a hug of support to chigs489:
    Noseperson (09-02-2011)
    Old 12-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #6
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

I have chronic sinusitis and have had two surgeries. I am scheduled for spinal surgery in a week and I think they wanted to just knock this out of me really quick.

What did the drug do that required PT? I can no longer take the Levaquin since I got really sick on it last time. I had been taking it for about three years (on and off), but this last time it just made me really, really sick. I refused to take it this last time.

Old 12-24-2004, 05:53 AM   #7
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I took both Levaquin and Avelox within a short period of time for a sinus infection, that ultimately required surgery. My reaction to the drugs was

1. Allergic vasculitis: red spots all over my hands
    2. Peripheral neuropathy: burning and tingling in the arms and legs that lasted for 5 months.
    3. Nerve damage in the elbows and feet: took 7 months to recover from this.
    4. Chronic tendonitis in the wrists and ankles.
    5. Initially, I could only sleep 3 hours a night.

My reaction wasn't as bad as some others, who suffered tendon ruptures and ended up in a wheelchair for 2 years. One guy's wife went permanently psychotic, so he wrote a book titled "Bitter Pills" -they sell it on ******.

If sinus infections are a frequent thing for you, look into surgery. You might have a structural problem like I did. Surgery is a breeze, and will make a world of difference!

The drug companies give doctors HUGE kickbacks to prescribe Levaquin and Avelox, while telling them it is safe. There have been more than 10,000 severe adverse reactions to this drug in the last few years.

Old 12-24-2004, 07:31 AM   #8
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

I have had two sinus surgeries within five years. I just had the last surgery done at the end of August. I am afraid though that he did not do enough for the left side of my nose. I had seen four doctors before allowing surgery this time. I feel that I possibly made a mistake with surgeons. He kept insisting that I did not need to have the left side of my nose operated on and only went in minimally. I was scheduled for surgery with a doctor I had been seeing for about a year, but my daughter begged me not to allow him to do the surgery. She did not like him for some reason. In hind sight, they tell you that you do not have to like the surgeon or his bedside manner and I think possibly he knew best what was wrong with me. It is the left side of the nose that has the infectious goopy stuff, with a terrible smell in it. I am hoping the antibiotics wipe it out. They seem to be working...

I did not have a sinus infection for two years after I had the first surgery. I have been on antibiotics almost steadily after this last surgery. There has only been a six week period since surgery that I have been off the drugs. (Just to let you know too, I went to one of the best teaching hospitals in PA. Maybe it is time for me to go to Hopkins.)

I really cannot live like this anymore. After surgery he kept me on the levaquin for two weeks, but I became so ill from it they took me off. I developed a beautiful rash on my face that resembled the Lupus rash, but it continued down all over my body. They took blood tests at that time and everything was thrown off. The red and white blood counts were off. I am not going to use it again. I have had to have injections into my wrist while on this drug also, so maybe that was a reaction to the drug also. I noticed the pain in the wrist is gone since I have been off of it. Over the last year I have taken it for two weeks every other month for a sinus infection. They also had me inhaling it up my nose.

I am having spinal surgery next week. I am having terrible problems with my spine and they always ask if anyone else in my family has spinal problems. I really thought the bones are degenerating from the steroids, but heck maybe it was the levaquin. I never thought about the levaquin. Thanks for the heads up and I am going to ask the NS next week.

Old 12-24-2004, 08:05 AM   #9
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

That's strange b/c even though I have a really low tolerance for medication, i've been able to use Levaquin with no problems except extreme sleepiness/tiredness. One of the only that I can tolerate, Zpak was harsh on my stomach. I take it for everything, lower & upper respiratory infections. And it was the only antibiotic that whiped my long term case of chronic bronchitis away. I even have it at home, so that I can start it right away if I am getting an infection. In these days though, you wonder what medications are safe anymore after seeing all these news reports lol.

Old 12-24-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

Blondee,

I have been on Levaquin every other month for two weeks and inhaling it up my nose for about a year and a half. That is a lot of antibioctics. It never bothered me until the last time I used it. So I suggest using it carefully. I got really, really sick. I do not usually get sick on medicine, other than a little stomach irratation. I think my system was on overload. I was also using it orally, breathing it up my nose at the same time. Too much medicine I think. I asked the pharmacist if he would use it and he said it is one powerful drug and since I broke out in a rash he would stay away from it. He said the first sign of allergy is the rash. I just hope the Ketek takes care of the infection.

Closed Thread