It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Obliteration of the Sinus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User
    Obliteration of the Sinus

Does anyone know how they obliterate the sinus? I have read on the Internet that they must either go in around the eyebrow or cut around the hairline to remove the frontal sinuses. Is there a way to do this endoscopically? I do not think I would ever agree to this...It seems like it would be a brutal surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User
    Re: Obliteration of the Sinus

Actually, I am having this surgery in Jan. I do not have the date set but see my ENT next week and will schedule the CTscan for surgery, than the surgery.

They can do it 2 ways, through the face or through the head. People who have hair they go through the hairline and do a cut basically about an inch to 2 inches into the hairline and cut from ear to ear. They pull the face and bone back and strip out all the mucous membranes out of the fontal sinus. The make a small cut into the stomach and take a bit of fat out and fill the empty bone area that was the frontal sinuses and stitch you back up. Some ENT's don't fill the sinuses cavities with fat and leave it completely empty, but most don't, mine doesn't. If you do it through the face they make a cut inbetween eyebrows to open the front sinus area. There is less visible scarring if you go into the hairline.

Yes, it is extreme and only should be considered for those who cann't not be healed any other way from sinusitis. I am one of those. My ENT has tried everything and I am at the point of no return. I am nervous about the surgery, but I know it is the right thing.

Halls

Old 12-30-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

Halls,

My prayers are with you...This seems like such an extreme surgery. I have a friend that had this surgery done at Hopkins for Sinus Cancer. He is alive 15 years later, but it is a brutal surgery. I will pray for you.

GH

Old 12-31-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

Halls,

I am assuming that you have looked into the idea that you might have a problem with fungus in the nose. This is the direction I am going next. I do not know if my ENT at the U of PA has information on this, but I intend to find out at next appt.

My husband keeps telling me I need to get in tune with my body. I seem to be having many health problems stemming from the allergies, steroids, and antibiotics. It just seems to be a viscious circle. I get a sinus infection, then go on a regimine of antibiotics and steroids. The steroids have caused changes in my bones and blood pressure. I am certain if on it long enough I will develop more problems. The antibiotics caused problems with my blood last time. (Levaquin)

I found this study at the Mayo Clinic Website and plan to investigate this more. Have you looked into the possibility that your problems might stem from fungus?

http://www.mayo.***/proceedings/1999/7409a1.pdf

I have discovered that if I go into our basement I develop a terrible headache, bloody nose, and later a sinus infection. I know it is from mold that has collected there. We have tried throwing things out and not storing anything in the basement, but that does not seem to work either. Mold and fungus is everywhere so I do not know how to get around this problem.

I am hoping to find a hospital closer to home that might be investigating the fungus issue.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

Well, my ENT just did a culture on my sinuses the last visit and I see him next week so we'll see what he says. I might ask him about the fungus and see what he says.

Everything affects me. I'm constantly dizzy and my head hurts. If I walk into a room with someone wearing to much perfume i start spinning, or if I get ot overheated, my sinuses hurt and I become more dizzy. I hate it!

Thanks for your prayers and kind words. Yes, this surgery is going to be rought, but i think in the long run it might be just what I needed and I'll be glad when it is over.

Halls

Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #6
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

How do they culture your nose? Do they just swab or do they actually cut something from the nose?

GH

Old 01-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

No, nothing was cut, my ENT took like a cotton swab or something like it and went up high into my nose and scrapped a lot of the green mucous out and onto the swab. It really didn't hurt, considering all the other crap I've had to endure that was nothing!

Old 01-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

What they do for a culture is they stick a really really long qtip up your nose.. it doesn't hurt but it feels soo weird... almost like you have to sneeze lol.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:00 AM   #9
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

yep, that is it Blondee a long q-tip and no ir doesn't hurt, but feels weird.

Halls

Closed Thread