It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• sinus blockage: when can I get up and function?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User
    sinus blockage: when can I get up and function?

I've had completely blocked sinuses and nose for about 5 days. Dont know if its allergy or cold, virus or bacteria or fungal. I'm really dizzy, sometimes weak, but it's all above the neck. The rest of my body is strong. I've been doing salt spray, Zicam, eye drops, an antiseptic nasal spray called SinoFresh, vaporizor with white vinegar and Vicks vaporizor liquid, and starting yesterday, Amoxicillin. A lot of drainage and headache and eyelid weakness/pain, but no colored mucus.I live alone, I'm 57, and I have to work in a week. I have an appt with ENT next week--unable to drive to Doc's this week. Given this situation, I'd like some of your suggestions on what the next step is. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: sinus blockage: when can I get up and function?

"Mucinex" is the same ingredient as plain Robitussin cough syrup but stronger. My internist suggested I take Mucinex 2 times day to help keep mucous thinned. It does help but not immediate relief like using Afrin nasal spray.

Speaking of Afrin, have you been using nose drops, if so, you may be having a rebound effect.

Have you tried anahistimines or deconjestants to help clear the conjestion?

Irrigating sinuses with salt water is cleaning and healing. I use 1 cup boiled water, 1/2 teaspoon plain salt (can add 1/2 t. baking soda too), stir to dissolve, strain thru paper coffee filter, fill clean nasal spray bottles. COOL. To use: lie on back on bed with head hanging off, squirt few squirts into each nostril, turn head slowly side to side, stay there a little bit so solution can seep down into sinus cavities. Say "kkkkk" while getting up to keep solution from running down throat. Blow gently if needed. Salt water helps cut loose mucous in sinuses so they can drain out.

I discovered chewing "Eclipse" sugar free gum in mint flavor helps to open nasal passages.

Keep a vaporizer going in rooms you are in to keep air moist and not too dry with house heat.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

Thanks, Marie, that's helpful. I take decongestant carefully, asz it is too stimulating--same reason I had to taper off zoloft--too stimulating. It's 1:10AM--woke trembling--night terror, same as every nite for years. I'm 4 days off of zoloft, so I'm sure i obsess about illness as live alone. i do stay away from the decongestant sprays, and I irrigate with salt spray as often as I can. I just need reassurance as I pull thru this that I'm OK alone--I do have obsessive disorder aout illness. Thanks, Trucky

Old 01-02-2005, 02:34 AM   #4
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

OK, I have another question: It's now Sunday, and I'm terrified this will go into my chest. I'm on the amoxicillin, and doing the things you recommended, including the Mucinex and vaporizor. What can I do today to prevent this from going into my chest?! Thanks for the suuport! --Trucky

Old 01-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Since you are taking an antibiotic and doing the other things it is less likely to go down to your chest. However, anything is possible with the virus/bacterial bug that is laying so many people low these days. Keep close watch on how your chest feels, but, don't work yourself into a tizzy.

You can help yourself most by relaxing, taking it easy, rest a lot and don't worry. Worry will interfer with your body's ability to fight off the bug. There is a fine line between "worry" and "concern". It is great to be "concerned" but stop there, cause "worry" will not help.

Remember, the antibiotic will kill bacteria but if you have a virus along with bacterial infection the virus will have to run it's course.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

You're so right. I'll call the ENT tomorrow, cause I checked and the appt isn't till the 13th! I just hope I can stay up long enuf to drive to the clinic and not catch something worse there--no flu shot! OK, not to worry, I'm just alone and have work to do--too dizzy to do anything! Please reply, thanks,
    Trucky

Closed Thread