It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #16
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Sinus Infection?

I'm so glad your prescription is for 3 full weeks of Augmentin. Hopefully, that will be plenty to kill your infection! Keep drinking your fluids and take care of yourself. Let us know how you are feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #17
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sneezydiva
    I'm so glad your prescription is for 3 full weeks of Augmentin. Hopefully, that will be plenty to kill your infection! Keep drinking your fluids and take care of yourself. Let us know how you are feeling.
    Well, I went back to work yesterday. I had a crazy day back and I had a relapse. I was feeling so much better on Tuesday (almost a full week after taking the Augmentin). Then I was at work yesterday and started feeling pressure in my face and head and my ears started hurting very bad. I also had tingling and numbness in my head and right hand too yesterday which was really freaking me out. I have had this before but it seemed worse yesterday.

The slave drivers I work for (I am a legal assistant) don't give a crap how I'm feeling, they just want their damn work done. Neither of my bosses even asked how I was feeling which I found to be really rude. But I guess people are rude. By the time I got home I was so dizzy and nauseated and my headache was raging. I lied down all night and then I got myself so upset because I felt so bad I was having chest pains and hyperventilating. I almost went to the ER but I did not want to pay the $100 co-pay and they treat you like cattle in there anyway.

So I called into work once again today. I have a mild headache on the left side of my head but feel better since I am able to relax. My ears are hurting quite a buit today too.

I am looking to find a good internist to go to so I can explain all my problems and let them run tests and find out what I need to get better. I cannot continue living my life like this. I have about had it.

However, I am still taking the Augmentin since I still suspect it's my sinuses but I do not want to go back to the ENT because he will just tell me to take Prednisone and I don't feel that is the answer to curing someone.

If anyone has any suggestions on what type pf doctor I should see or has felt the same way I do, please let me know what you are doing to deal with it and how to get better. Thanks for reading....

Old 01-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #18
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm so sorry to hear you aren't feeling better.

Is there another ENT in town you can see? It sounds like you really didn't like the last one you saw. I've never had a ENT want to prescribe prednisone. Flonase, yes, but not prednisone. My allergist has prescribed prednisone to me twice (short term, just a 10 day taper), but never my ENT. A short course of prednisone or, even better, Flonase might help you. The idea is to shrink the inflamed sinus and nasal tissue so that the infection can drain completely.

You symptoms sound so much like mine when my primary doctor told me I had anxiety. My pounding heartbeat and shortness of breath always accompanied bad sinus symptoms.

My allergist says that sinusitis sometimes gets worse before it gets better. The antibiotic is killing the infection and is finally allowing it to drain. The problem is, the drainage makes you feel so horrible. Are you taking any Sudaphed? That will help you congestion alot. You might try a decongestant nasal spray, but only for a few days so you don't get addicted. Have you ever tried Humabid or Musinex? They are both expectorants, they thin out the mucus allowing it to drain better. They used to be prescription but now are both OTC medicines. Have you ever tried sinus irrigation? You can buy a saline nasal spray and spray it as often as needed to help loosen the congestion.

When I got an infection, my allergist had me take the antibiotic, Duratuss (which is essentially a 12 hour Sudaphed and a Mucinex in a single Rx only pill) and another Mucinex. I also have a sinus irrigation machine, which normally I use twice a day, but during infections I use 3-4 times a day (after the antibiotic is in my system, I don't want to spread the infection) I also used BOTH Flonase and Afrin. I know this sounds like a lot of drugs, but it was the only thing that worked. Unfortunately, I eventually had to have sinus surgery. Since my surgery, my infections are not nearly as bad.

Besides an ENT, or a good internist, the only other kind of doctor I can think of is an allergist. I felt my allergist was just as good at treating my sinus infections as an ENT. My allergist was also the only one to correctly diagnose my breathing difficulties, probably b/c he deals with asthma all the time, and has to be able to differentiate asthma from other diseases with the same symptoms. But still a good ENT is still probalby the best choice.

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by sneezydiva; 01-13-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #19
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

Thanks sneezydiva- Actually, I made an appointment to see an allergist tomorrow. Fortunately they had an opening and I can see the doctor tomorow afternoon. I took an antihistamine on Tuesday night so it will be cutting close for the 72 hour thing so I will at least get a consult if I cannot do the allergy testing tomorrow. I have been on allergy shots before so I am hoping it will help me again.

What did the Prednisone do to you? I mean did it have bad side effects like weigh gain or puffiness? I sure hope the allergist does not suggest Prednisone. I don't think I want that.

I'm having a bad anxiety attack tonight. I feel very short of breath and lightheaded... I'm a complete nervous wreck! I am strongly considering going to the ER tonight that's how bad I feel.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #20
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I never took it continuously, I only was on it on a couple occasions, each ten days at a time. The first time was for a severe allergic reaction. The other time was when I was diagnosed with the sino-bronchial syndrome. The doctor gave it to me to help reduce the inflamation in my bronchial tubes, and to prevent any allergic reactions, because he temporarily took me off my Zyrtec, b/c it is so drying, and he didn't want the mucus to dry up, he wanted it to drain properly.

I did not gain weight or get puffy. In fact I felt better than I had ever felt in a long time. It's a shame long term use has such nasty side effects.

Make sure to tell them if you take birth control. Birth Control causes prednisone to linger in your system a little longer, so women on BCP are usually prescribed a lower dose.

I'm so sorry you are having an attack. I hope it subsides. I know how it feels. Good luck with the allergist.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #21
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Chrislynn,

Today is the 17th. Are you feeling any better?

Old 01-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #22
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

I've had to take Augmentin for a looong period of time, and yes, take food with it at all times and drink plenty of water--it dried out my skin big time if I forgot to hydrate myself properly.

Also, most antibiotics can make you feel cruddy, so even if your symptoms are getting better, you could just be feeling bad from the meds, that's normal.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #23
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieq0726
    Chrislynn,

Today is the 17th. Are you feeling any better?
    I had to go to the ER yesterday because the headaches have been so bad. The ER doc said I had a-typical migraines and gave me a migraine cocktail through iv (painkiller, steroid and anti-nausea drug) It worked while I was there but got another doozy last night. He prescribed me Midrin for pain and to reduce swelling of my arteries in my head. He also said I had classic tension headache symptoms too. Well duh! Of course I've been tense - between the sinus trouble I have and now the migraine from hell! To top it off, my b/f is home sick today with a bad sinus headache, he has been throwing up and everything. After being in the ER for 7 hours and hearing the guy next to me throw up the whole time.... Needless to say, it has been hard to relax.

Anyways the doc put me on 2 day rest away from work. So now I will have missed 9 days of work from this ordeal.

However, I have not stopped taking the Augmentin. I am on my full 2nd week of it today. I am still suspicious of a sinus infection because of the ear pain and all the drainage. My congestion has gotten better though.

Thanks for asking how I was.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #24
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

That is good that your congestion has gotten better, Chrislyn. That stinks though, that your bf is sick too now..I was always told that you can't "catch" sinus infections but now my husband feels like I felt this weekend which makes me wonder if it's a cold but he is also blowing yellow gunk out of his nose--makes me wonder why he won't get on antibiotics, if he's also got an infection but he won't. Anyway I hope the migraine meds help! my husband gets the kind of migrains where you throw up the pains so bad!! I've never gotten that bad!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:20 AM   #25
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Oh Chrislynn, my heart goes out to you, you are having a terrible time of it!

Unless you have a history of migraines, I'm not sure I agree with the ER doc about the a-typical migraine thing. Sinus headaches and migraines are often mistaken for one another. My MIL has a terrrible time with migraines, and she was told for years they were "just sinus headaches" You definately have a sinus infection, so it would seem likely they are sinus headaches.

How was your visit with the allergist?

Feel better soon!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #26
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

I do have a history of migraines- I have had them for years so I do believe that could be an accurate diagnosis. I also know I have chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis. I just want a new head! I do feel a little improvement today as for the pain but I still have a heavy head/numb sensation on the left side of my head and a sense of fogginess and general tiredness. Sometimes I think I even have the symptoms of CFS- ahhhhhh... who knows.... I'll keep trying to figure it out.

I could not go to the allergist for testing because I had forgotten that I had taken an antihistamine the day prior so I will have to reschedule it. I had to take an allergy/sinus pill last night too and it actually helped a bit.

Back to work tomorrow, so hopefully I can start functioning like a normal human being again. I am so tired of feeling deathly ill.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #27
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Gosh, Chislyn, I know how that is--tired of being sick!! Even my family is like your sick again?? Ugg!

I hope you get to feeling better soon! I wish modern medicine was to the point that we could just go get a new head and sinues--I would buy me a new nose in a heartbeat! Mine is just so chapped and raw right now it looks bad!

Closed Thread