It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User
    Sinus Infection?

Last year I was dx'd with chronic ethmoid sinusitis. The ENT told me this from my sinus CT scan. He prescribed Augmentin which I did not take and prednisone which I refuse to take. I started to feel better during the summer and fall. But now, a year later, I feel terrible again, headache, ears hurt, head is full w/ pressure, dizzy lightheaded, yellow mucus, thick post nasal drip.

I decided to breakdown and take the Augmentin. I have been on them since Tuesday night. (875 mg q 12 hours) I left work early on Tuesday and have already missed 2.5 days of work from this.

I woke up this morning thinking that I will try to go to work today. While I was in the shower I felt VERY lightheaded and I felt I would pass out so I had to put my head down. I hurried out of the shower and laid down for 45 minutes, so much for going to work today.

Does this sound like a sinus infection?? Has anyone here had my similar or exact symptoms and had any relief from Augmentin? I hope I'm not wasting my time taking this drug. One thing I have noticed though is that my headache is less painful than it was a few days ago.

Thanks.
    C

Last edited by Chrislynn; 01-06-2005 at 07:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Sinus Infection?

I had the same thing last April. I had a root canal that caused a sinus infection. I suffered with this for three weeks before I finally went to ER. I was dizzy, felt weak and just plain felt crappy.
    I took Augmentin for 14 days, one every twelve hours. If it weren't for the pills, I would still be sick. Augmentin can be hard on your stomach so make sure you eat something. But give it time. You just started taking it and it takes about three or four days to build up in your system.

Last edited by susieq0726; 01-06-2005 at 07:40 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

Thanks for responding. I was just reading one of your posts earlier and noticed that your symptoms sounded like mine.

I heard Augmentin can upset the stomach so I have been eating something before I take it and I am doing fine with it so far.

Tonight will be 72 hours that I have been taking it. I sure hope I feel good enough to go back to work tomorrow. I hate feeling like this, it's just awful.

Thanks again. It makes me feel better to know that someone with my symptoms took Augmentin and had success.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

Yes, that does sound like a bad sinus infection, but IMO you should have taken the antibiotic when it was prescribe as not getting rid of a sinus infection can lead to permanent damage in your sinuses that would need surgical repair to cure them. Sounds to me the dizziness, pressure, pain, is due to your sinuses getting worse and becoming blocked, and once they are blocked only surgey can unblock it. Been there, done that. I suggest you see an ENT and get a CTscan to see what or if there is and blocked sinuses and take your full antibiotics and steriods this time. I know they all have bad side effects, but they don't last, but the sinus problems can. Take care of yourself! I also suggest you start irrigating your sinuses with saline. There are good irrigating machines that you can purchase, maybe ask your ENT what is one he would recommend. This will clear out infection, bacteria and prevent further infection. I irrigate twice a day, but only cause i have bad sinuses i have to. Most only irrigate when they feel a littel stuffiness coming on like a cold/allergy attack/sinus infection. I hope you get rid of this nasty thing and stay healthy.

Halls

Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

Yes I agree I should have taken the antibiotics last year but I did not feel quite this bad and was unsure at the time if I really needed them. This time I know I defintely needed them. I did have a CT scan of my sinuses and it showed a little blockage (nothing terrible) according to the ENT but he said I had chronic ethmoid sinusitis and allergic rhinitis. I was starting to feel a lot better around 4:00 p.m. today and now my head is feeling full again, my right ear hurts and I have a 99 temperature. I know 99 is not life threatening but it does indicate that I have an infection which further justifies the Augmentin. I sure hope this knocks it out because I hate feeling this way and I hate pumping my body full of so much medicine! 875mg per pill, yikes! But this madness has to stop!

Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I cannot believe you didn't take your medicines when you even had the CT scan in black and white that showed you had the sinusitis! You need to go back and be reevaluated, because you let the infection have the opportunity to worsen by not taking your medicine as prescribed. You will now probably have to be on the antibiotic twice as long as you would've initially. No offense, but it is people like you that give all of us suffering from sinus ailments a bad name. I can't tell you how many times, I've been accused of not following my doctor's orders when I always follow them to a T. It always frustrated me in the past, but now I understand where my doctor was coming from.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

to sneezydiva- I do not post on this board to be put down. I do not appreciate the "people like you" comment. I usually post on the alternative medicine boards. I am very much into herbal remedies and am now seeking a homeopathic treatment for my allergies.

For your information I did not ignore my sinus problems. I was taking herbal supplements, high doses of vitamin C, irrigation and allergy meds. I was feeling much better and therefore, I did not want to take the antibiotic unless I really needed it. I, unlike many people, do not take antibiotics like candy. I have not been on an antibiotic regime since I had a kidney infection in 1994. I normally do not have bacterial infections. I have suffered from allergic rhinitis for many years and was on allergy shots for several years.

I do not appreciate you telling me that people like me give me sinus sufferers a bad name. I have spent hours each day reading and researching for the past 2 years trying to find a natural way to cure my allergic rhinitis because I have been miserable with this for 2 years and I desperately want my life back. I came to this board for support because I am very skeptical about taking prescribed medicine and wanted to know if this treatment I am on actually helped someone. I treat my body like it is a temple, I do not eat red meat, I do not drink or smoke, I am at a perfect weight, I have changed my diet to help with my allergies, and I do not like the side effects that these drugs have on our bodies.

Next time think before you say something that may upset someone. I have been posting on these boards for nearly 2 years now and most people have been very helpful and kind in their responses and I thank each and every one of you that has attempted to help me in a positive way. God Bless all of You

Last edited by Chrislynn; 01-07-2005 at 08:34 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

chrislynn,
    How are you feeling today? Any better than yesterday?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

susieq- yes I am feeling better today than yesterday. Thanks for asking. I still have pressure in my head and ears but my headache feels much better this morning than yesterday morning. I called off work one more day so I do not have a relapse.

The only thing is my PND has not let up. I have not been able to keep this under control and I'm afraid this is what caused the infection in the first place. So my concern now is if I cure this infection, will I just get another infection because of the constant PND?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I hate PND! I feel for you! I never really had it when I had my infection, but what I did have wasn't pretty: Everytime I blew my nose it was bright green and hard. (Sorry to be so graffic)
    My doctor told me that mine was chronic and I would probably suffer with this for years to come. How fun for me!
    I hate taking drugs for anything and try (as you do) to do other things to keep away from the drugs. But when I am sick to the point of being miserable, the drugs don't look so bad.
    I have found that drinking green tea helps - I don't know why, but whenever I feel a sinus attack coming on I poor that stuff in me & I feel better. I have also been trying to get 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night (sometimes I am in bed at 8:30 PM and up at 5:30 AM) Doesn't make for much of a social life, but getting the sleep makes me feel better.
    Keep taking your Augmentin and hopefully you won't have to take anymore. Beware though, one other time when I had a bout with this I ended up taking 6 weeks of antibiotics!

Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

That's exactly how I felt this time......drugs did not seem like such a bad idea. I thought the Augmentin was worth a shot and at 1750 mg a day one would think it would do the trick. I will have to make some green tea today. I forgot about that. I always keep that in the house but I do not drink it as often as I should. I drink lots of herbal teas and they all have their helpful healing benefits.

Now that the headache subsided pretty much, I wonder when the heavy head and pressure in the ears will go away. I think a lot of that is allergy related for me and I need to find a way to keep my allergies under control. Honestly, I believe my allergies are the root cause of my feeling so bad all the time.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I agree with you completely. I have always been a healthy person (for the most part) and when I had that dumb root canal that triggered the sinus thing, I get sick alot more now. I know it's totally related to that.
    I am fighting a cold right now because I don't want it to turn into another sinus infection.
    Drink your green tea! I am working on my third cup today!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Chrislyn, Rereading my message, I realize I owe you an apology as my response was rather rude. I too, have been suffering from allergies and sinusitis for many years. And my case was mishandled by a variety of primary care doctors who told me it was just allergies and refused to refer me to an ENT, accused me of not taking my meds etc. I would have given my right arm to be referred to an ENT early on, and diagnosed with a CT scan and given the proper antibiotics. Instead my infection was allowed spread and I eventually required surgery. So that is where I was coming from when I wrote that response. Still ,it wasn't right to take out my frustrations on you. So I am sorry.

At the same time, I hope you fully realize the seriousness of what you did. You put down those of us who have had to take multiple courses of antibiotics as "taking them like candy." I may have taken a lot of antibiotics, but I have always treated them with the respect they deserve. You must always take them as prescribed and you must always finish the bottle, even if you start to feel better. If you have severe side effects, you can't just stop taking it. You need to tell your doctor so he can change your medicine. If you don't finish your antibiotic, that is how the antibiotic-resistant bacteria form. You should never save the antibiotic and take it later without being under a doctor's care. By waiting so long, you have allowed your infection to grow. And now this prescription might not be enough to kill off your infection. Not to mention the medicine might have expired and might not be full strength anymore.

Please go back to an ENT or find another if you didn't like him. And be honest with him about what you did. If you don't tell them the truth, they will just throw another 10 day prescription at you, and it most likely not be enough and you might have a relapse. There are plenty of people on this board who have had to go though surgery and even multiple surgeries, and trust me you don't want that. You need another CT scan to determine how bad your sinusitis has become. And be prepared now to take a much longer course of antibiotics to get rid of it.

I read some of your other posts, and your question about anxiety attacks caught my eye. In spring of 2003, I developed anxiety attack symptoms. I had the tight chest, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, dizziness. Sometimes I would have 3 in a week and sometimes I'd go a whole month without one. One episode was so bad my husband took me to the ER. My primary doctor suspected asthma at first, but when pulmonary tests came up negative for asthma he told me I had an anxiety disorder. My gut said it wasn't anxiety. To make a long story short, my allergist did his own asthma workup and when that was inconculsive, told me I had something called Sino-bronchial syndrome. He believed I had chronic sinusitis, and that periodically the infected sinus drainage was going into my chest. This would periodically cause the bronchial tubes to get inflamed and constrict which then set off the panic disorder- like symptoms. He ordered a CT scan of my sinuses and confirmed the diagnosis. That is when my primary doctor had no choice but to refer me to the ENT. I had sinus surgery and got about 70% relief from my sinus/allergy symptoms and 100% relief from my "anxiety attacks" I have not had an episode since my surgery in October 2003. Of course this might not be the cause of your attacks. But I just wanted to share my experience, in case it might help you. In my case, the "anxiety attacks" were truely a symptom of chronic sinusitis allowed to spiral out of control.

I hope you are feeling better. But even if you are, I repeat, please go see an ENT so you can get rid of this infection for good.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 01-09-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #14
    patched
    (female)

patched HB User

Hi,
    What can you take for a sinus infectiion if you are allergic to Augmentin?
    Pat

Old 01-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User

sneezy diva-

apology accepted. The Augmentin has been causing some unwanted side effects but I am going to take it for the full 21 days. It also did not expire yet- I would not have taken it if it had. I still feel dizzy with pressure in my head and ears. I'm pretty weak from feeling so sick. I think I am better though than I was a few days ago. The pain has subsided quite a bit.

Interesting about your anxiety attacks. I know so many things can cause them and I think my allergies and sinusitis probably play a big part if nothing else, emotionally which trigger my anxiety.

Pat- You could try Levaquin. The ENT prescribed Levaquin to me first but I am allergic to that type of antibiotic.

Closed Thread