It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Cold/flu or related to Sinus Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
    indy gal

indy gal HB User
    Cold/flu or related to Sinus Surgery

I had outpatient sinus surgery right before X-mas for a minor problem. After one month recovering nicely, I got strep throat. No big deal, I get an antibiotic shot.

A few days later it starts coming back, so doctor calls in a second round of antibiotics. Mind you, the same time I have the strep throat I also get a horrible cold (sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes). So as I am into my second round of antibiotics, I also begin some herbs to help strengthen my immune system, because I am still feeling lousy.

I stop the antibiotics, continue the herbs for a week and feel good. So I stop the herbs and a week later the throat becomes sore again and I am diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection with drainage of the sinueses. I take a prescribed antihistimine, and sure enough, end up with a horrible cold (runny nose, sneezing, sore throat) again.

A few days into the antihistimine, I discover that I have tonsil stones (accumulation of bacteria, food, skin cells which form behind/inside the tonsils. I clean those out and the throat feels pretty good. I take the antihistimine for a week, feel better for a week and a half, and now I am starting up with a cough and a sore throat (thanks to the cough). Last night I had a 99.3 degree fever for an hour or two, but it came back down.

It has been over 2 months since my sinus surgery. The surgeon said I healed nicely. Since then I notice my nose drips a lot more and is always moist, like I need a kleenex around always. The throat problems started a month after the surgery, and the cough just started.

Could this be related to the surgery? Could this be related to the tonsils? Or am I just unlucky enough to constantly be getting sick this year?

At this point I don't know whether to go back to a doctor, or wait it out. Winter will be over soon... Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
    indy gal

indy gal HB User
    Re: Cold/flu or related to Sinus Surgery

This morning I had a 101 degree fever, so I went back to the doctor. He says I have a sinus infection. I am to take 10 days of an antibiotic and 10 days of a mucus thinning pill, and see if I get (and stay) better.

If I don't get better or get sick again really soon, then the MD thinks I should go to an ENT to see if something is wrong since my surgury.

Has anybody else had this happen to you? Have you sinus's operated on only to have them cause more problems afterward?

Closed Thread