It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• How to distnguish GERD from Sinus problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
    kyethra
    (female)

kyethra HB User
    How to distnguish GERD from Sinus problems

I was born with severe GERD, lived first year of life in high chair and all that.

I'm 21 now. I've been on Prevacid since I was 17. Last year I got really sick. It started out with this wierd flu and then an ovarian cyst ruptered and now I have Fibromyalgia. When the cyst started my GI symptoms become horrible. I started having diarrhea and throwing up, couldn't keep food down.
    After a gynecological endoscopy and a colonoscopy and a whole battery of tests I went up to Mayo.

They said that even on 30 of prevacid a day I still had way more acid in my stomach than was normal. So the prevacid was doubled and I also take reglan and zantac as needed.

Now at the same time I also started having all sorts of sinus problems. I have bad allergies, but before this they were under controll. Now I almost always have a cold or a sinus infection.

I tend to gag on the mucus dripping down the back of my throat. I'm pretty sure its post nasal drip. THe other day I had a little bit of blood in my mucus when I blew my nose, and then when I was gagging and retching on the mucus it was the same mucus with a bit of blood in it. On bad days I start retching or even throw up a bit. THe reglan helps with this (it actually even helps with the diarrhea). Sometimes I also get mucus in my stool.

Does anyone else here wonder about or have experience with a GERD and mucus connection?

I take Miraphin (sudafed with guiafenesin twice a day) and 24 hour claritin and flonase.

I'm not sure if there is a connection or not. THe one GI doc who does enteryx locally refused to give me a consultation because I am young. So how old do you have to be?

How do I tell if my stomach problems are from GERD or Mucus when it isn't always obvious (like classic reflux or a stuffed nose)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
    zoot_suit_brian

zoot_suit_brian HB User
    Re: How to distnguish GERD from Sinus problems

sorry to hear you have so much difficulty.

I have personally found that flonase makes my Reflux a little worse, and sudafed makes my reflux much worse.

How carefully was your drug regimen developed? If i were you I would be cautious about taking sudafed, u can take guanifensen in extended release pills (mucinex)

Old 04-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

Kyethra,

.... I have both Gerd and sinusitus. The phlegm (or mucus) from Gerd is tasteless, clear in color and I have more of it and it is far more continuous. Whereas, the phlegm from sinusitus has a nasty, sometimes salty/bloody taste to it, and there is less of it, and less frequently too and it is yellowish in color. That is what I have found personally; funny you should bring this question up, as I have asked myself the exact same thing on many occasions.....

Wow, I have never heard of phlegm (mucus) in one's stools.

Last edited by WarBonds; 04-11-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
    Vachon
    (female)

Vachon HB User

What works for the excessive throat mucus? I am trying Prevacid, Clarinex and Mucinex but still am miserable...

Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User

Kyethra,

The Mayo Clinic believes that acid reflux can be a principal underlying cause of sinusitis. If acid escapes the upper esophageal sphincter muscle, and travels out of the esophagous into the larynx area, you can get erosions throughout your sinuses and throat that produce sinsusitis symptoms. That is what "LPR" is - LPR is larygopharyngeal reflux (a sister to GERD). They think that LPR involves the weakening of the upper esophageal sphincter, and GERD often involves the weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter muscle.

Mayo also believes that mold is a principal underlying cause of sinusitis - so let us know if your home is nice and dry, or if there is mustiness that might be affecting you.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:LxKFVPSeYdEJ:www.nysinusc enter.com/nysc_understanding_sinusitis.html+%22may o+clinic%22+and+sinusitis+and+reflux&hl= en

Closed Thread