It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Allergy or Sinus Infection????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
    Dumb1
    (male)

Dumb1 HB User
    Exclamation Allergy or Sinus Infection????

I have had since December some kind of nose issue. Most of my mucus is clear with some yellow, I can cough up mucus from the back of my throat anytime I want and I can pop my ears all day, they are constantly clogged, though not 100% like when you have a head cold. I went to the GP, got an allergy test done and nothing showed up. Doc put me on Nasarel and I have been on it a week, it has dried me up some but maybe 30-40% max. Also about once every 2 weeks I get something unclogged in my nose and I can blow out the biggest wad of yellow mucus, probably a good 2-4 ounces. Once I clear it out (it is only the left nostril everytime) it stays clear until the next bout a couple weeks later. I have not had any headaches (I did wake up one morning about a month ago with a major headache but that was it) I haven't had a fever at all as well and no sinus pressure other than an occasional "tick" between my hairline and the side of my face on the left side.

Sorry for the rant. Does this sound like an allegy or an undiagnosed sinus infection? My GP thinks allergy but for this to just pop up out of nowhere makes me wonder. I did have a couple colds early this winter and it started after them then I got another cold about 1.5 months ago and after the symptoms went away I was still stuck with my 5 month old issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User
    Re: Allergy or Sinus Infection????

I'd say at this point, even if it was *caused* by an allergy, it is an infection now. I'm coming to this conclusion since you talk about coughing up snot. Last infection I had, which I'm still on antibiotics for I started coughing up stuff, but I had mostly clear, but then sometimes yellow, green, or bloody snot. It was yucky. It was then I went to the doctor, probably a month or more since I started having symptoms. Although I had gone to the doc prior to that, and he said it was not an infection...yet. But anyway..I'd say you have an infection going on. My doc told me not to wait any longer than 10-14 days from now on...so I'd be going back to see the doctor if your still have issues *especially* after this long. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
    Dumb1
    (male)

Dumb1 HB User

Let me ask, is ear popping and constant throat drainage with no eye issues, sneezing or runny nose consistent with any allergys??? Or is it only consistent with a sinus infection?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
    Dumb1
    (male)

Dumb1 HB User

Well my Doc called in a script of antibiotics today so I'll see if this fixes my sinus issues, if it doesn't then it is allergies. I'll let everyone know in 10 days when my script runs out.

Also, I have had a couple bouts of canker sores on my uvula (hanging ball back of your throat). Anyone else get this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dumb1; 05-02-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Could be mold allergies...they don't presnet many symptoms in terms of sneezing, itching, etc...but a stuffy/dizzy feeling is common. Good luck with the Antiobiotics. I just finished mine tonight!

Old 05-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
    Dumb1
    (male)

Dumb1 HB User

Howdy!

Well here is my antibiotics report I promised. I have been having problems with stuffy ears and post nasal drip (with yellow mucus as well as a huge discharge of yellow snot every week or so) well the antibiotics must of done something because I no longer have ANY yellow mucus in my mucus as well as no yellow drainage at all, also my head tick thing is gone. So a sinus infection was most likely a major part of it. Now though I am still having post nasal drip with my ears plugged up without the other issues. Could just be allegies now, who knows, but the antibiotics cleared out some of the problems.

Any thoughts? My allergy test came up with nada so I'm back to square one I guess.

D.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

I think it was an infedtion, and now the antibiotics have cleared it up. But if your still rather congested in your ears and stuff, perhaps a call to your doctor is in order...my ears are still plugged up, and it's driving me nuts!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
    Dumb1
    (male)

Dumb1 HB User

I took some Benadryl last night and it helped but MAN I was grogy this morning. It seemed to help so if it was still a sinus infection it wouldn't have helped so I am leaning towards allegies.

An antihistimine would not help if the problem was a sinus infection, correct??

D.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Wow I must be in bad sinus shape b/c my ears have been clogged since like oh a few years ago! Ugg! I hate it....but regarding your latest question about antihistimine I wonder the same thing...I thought if it's an infection decongestants and antibiotics are best, because if it's an infection it seems the allergy is what got you sick in the first place, ie it's best as preventive BUT my GP put me on Zyrtec 3 days ago and it has helped a lot w/ the mucus production! I couldn't talk hardly at all b/c I was constantly blowing my nose or coughing junk up it was awful! Just 3 days on it i'm better w/ the amount of mucus and as long as I use my SinoFresh nasal spray (suppossed to kill bacteria and molds in the nose) my snot isn't yellow for the most part though like you I am still coughing up 2-3 ozs a day of that thick thick yellow junk!!! Still! It seems that the benedryl/antihistimes can help, but you still need other meds...the thing that worries me though is when I get off my months worth of Zyrtec will I get sick all over again?

I have been on zyrtec before--if Benedryl isn't doing the trick for you maybe ask for that? I find I had to up my benedryl doses to like 3-4 pills in an hours time to just breath at ALL in the worst phases of my sickness! That seems crazy to me! So, they called in Zyrtec. From what I understand the antihistime can dry you up yet if you've still got lingering infection....you will relapse, which may be what happend to me back when I first tried Zyrtec, I got WAY sicker after being off it, but I was on it for 3 months straight then so I don't know! Hope i've helped some in my ramblings!

Closed Thread