It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus...with no congestion!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #16
    ahall
    Veteran
    (female)

ahall HB User
    Re: Sinus...with no congestion!!!

Midget, decongestants will do you good. My doctor initially gave me Wellbid 1200.....Oh my Gosh....I felt like a walking zombie, really spaced me out. With this head cold driving me nuts, I had heard the Sudafed red decongestant tablets were good so I bought DayQuil, because it has 2 Tylenols, 2 red decongestants and a cough supressent in one dose. I find for the first 4 hours, my nose runs like crazy and my ears are trying to pop, but you can only take it every 6 hours, but still, its definately relieves some of the horrible symptoms of being clogged up. Try something before an infection sets in, or inflammation!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #17
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Everytime my ears are stuffy though, it never turns into an infection...last time it was just caused by the sinus infection. But yeah, I should do something...or something might happen this time lol

Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #18
    marlyn

marlyn HB User

Hello, Ahall. I thought I felt better already, yesterday, my lightheaded is not as bad as the other day's but then, it started raining again last night and today, now, I am lightheaded, my sinus headache is back, my ear hurts, I am positive it is allergy related because, I had allergy for molds. It is easier for the doctor to diagnose as vertigo, because they don't know what to say I guess, the antivert (Meclizine) is prescribed as needed only, but when the spinning started, and you take the antivert medicine, it doesn't work for me anymore, the spinning still last 6 hrs to me. I had so many attacks, I kept a diary, what time it happen and the weather, the symptoms. I tried to take it every 8 hrs but one time the attack came in 6 hrs later after I took the myclezine, so I thought the medicine is not working. I called the pharmacist and I was told for vertigo, 100 mg in a 24 hr period, so you need to take it every 6 hrs for 25 mg. So far, the last spinning I had was May 6, I started taking it every 6 hrs since the 7th of May, so far, thank God, I didn't have the severe attack yet, lightheaded, but at least it is not the spinning. I will go back and see my ENT doctor on June 2. I used to sneeze a lot, but since January, when the dry sinus congestion started, I can't sneeze, that's probably the reason for the vertigo. I don't know, doctor's don't seem to know everything. We have to do research ourselves. Do you sneeze AHALL?

Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #19
    ahall
    Veteran
    (female)

ahall HB User

Hi Marlyn,

Wow, thats a lot of vertigo!!! I dont get it as often as you, but I live in so much fear of the next attack. Im very surprised that your doctor isn't doing more for you. The allergist told me AntiVert is not something to take on a daily basis, its really used to abort the vertigo attack. He said the vertigo is a symptom of a problem, but its his job to find out what the problem is. Personally, I think you have inflammation of the inner ear. When I had my first attack as a result of a chronic sinus infection, my doctor gave me a Medrol dose pack. I remember asking her had I not been treated for this inflammation how long would it be before it would heal itself. She said it could take months. To answer your question, no, I dont sneeze all the time, actually I hardly sneeze at all. What I do find is, because we live in a fairly rural area, when I go for walks, I get all stocked up, this causes me to sneeze like crazy and clogs my ears up, but that goes away after a few hours, however the dizziness starts. The doctor said the congestion that happens during this allergy attack, is probably causing the tube in your ear (it begins with an e!!) to get irritated, thus causing vertigo. Today, when I went to get the AntiVert, the girl in the pharmacy told me she is using it for severe vertigo too. She said, after much testing, she found that as long as she was taking Flonase and Claritin, she didn't get the attacks, otherwise, she did. Do you take Flonase?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #20
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

You are right Ahall, the eustacian tube in your ear swells and it causes the ear to hurt and also the dizziness. The decongestants are supposed to help with that and so are the steriod sprays. Being a veteran of these allergy attacks - I know all too well!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 AM   #21
    ahall
    Veteran
    (female)

ahall HB User

Hi litthotwm, do you live in the states? If so, what part? The reason Im asking is, on another thread you had stated you are allergic to grass, which is the allergy people in Texas are having a hard time with right now. Im so naive on all this allergy stuff, I have so much to learn. I guess I dont understand when a person takes claritin / allegra why they can still have an allergic reaction. Is it that they just dont work for some people and do for others, or is the grass allergy too strong and just overpowers the medications!

Old 05-19-2005, 05:50 AM   #22
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahall
    Hi litthotwm, do you live in the states? If so, what part? The reason Im asking is, on another thread you had stated you are allergic to grass, which is the allergy people in Texas are having a hard time with right now. Im so naive on all this allergy stuff, I have so much to learn. I guess I dont understand when a person takes claritin / allegra why they can still have an allergic reaction. Is it that they just dont work for some people and do for others, or is the grass allergy too strong and just overpowers the medications!
    Hi Ahall, I live in Memphis, TN and it is absolutely the WORST place in the states for allergies. I just got back from Dallas last night, I flew out there Monday for business, and when I got off the plane - wow - I had all the pressure in my head, ears, etc., so you are right - it is bad there too! When you have really bad allergies, even taking the allergy meds are not enough when the things that you are allergic to are blooming. I am particularly having a bad time this year. Not sure why - but I am. I even get sores in my mouth around this time of the year, my gums around my upper back teeth get sore and they are that way right now. It even affects my stomach. It just wrecks havoc on me all the way around!

Old 05-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #23
    marlyn

marlyn HB User

I used Beconase, the doctor special order them for me because the Nasarel don't work on me. I used Afrin (decongestant spray) since I cannot take the decongestant pill because of high blood pressure and palpitations. But the Afrin, I can only use it every 3 days, then you stop, and start it again after 3 days, the Beconase, I used it twice a day. I use the Antivert medicine every 6 hrs to stop the spinning. It is raining here again in Sacto, so my sinus is bad again, I could feel my ear is clogged, My doctor prescribed me Antibiotics before, but he doesn't think I have infection. I bought a claritin D - over the counter, but I didn't used it because the decongestant can make my blood pressure shoot up. I wish I can take decongestant like you guys, I probably won't have a lot of dizzy spells. Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I hope this dizzy spells will disappear soon completely.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #24
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marlyn, that is really tough! If you can't take the decongestants, pretty much all you can use is the sprays, but the Beconase used to work very well for me, as I recall. Hope you do get over your dizzy spells soon!

Closed Thread