It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Who else had sinusitis that didn't show up on the CT scan?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Who else had sinusitis that didn't show up on the CT scan?

My good friend called me today and said she finally got a referral to the ENT, got a CT scan, and the doctor declared it was one of the worse he's ever seen. Infection and polyps everywhere. He didn't know how she could be breathing! I'm happy for her because she has been sick a while, and will finally get the treatment she needs. But it is also frustrating because I have been just as sick as her in the past, and it was not taken as seriously (by the primary doctors and same ENT practice) because my scans have always been "pretty good" or declared "normal".
    With the last one I had before surgery, the ENT said my CT scan wasn't "that bad", but it showed a swollen turbinate, which allowed the sinus surgery to be approved by my insurance. While he was in there anyway, he opened up my maxilary sinus to "just take a look" and ended up cleaning a lot of gunk out. He resisted doing this at first, but me and my allergist convinced him to. Thank Goodness! After surgey I felt like a million bucks, and even though I still get sinus troubles they are much more managable than before surgery.

How can two people who are just as miserable with sinus trouble have such different CT scan results?

Last edited by sneezydiva; 05-11-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
    Emak

Emak HB User
    Re: Who else had sinusitis that didn't show up on the CT scan?

I don't know why, but 6 months ago the ENT told me the x-rays were "okay" and from my other posts you know i dont have sneezing or runny nose. My airways are just very blocked. I had a CT scan done at the ER last week in fear of something serious but it came back showing no brain problems, and when I asked the ER doctor about my sinuses he said very casually "oh they look okay" (he had to go look at the chart again).

So I dont know...but I wish i did... sometimes I wonder if the whole thing is a conspiracy.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
    Aleka
    (female)

Aleka HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Who else had sinusitis that didn't show up on the CT scan?

I have had trouble with a stuffed nose--burning which also irritated my eye. Had a cat scan--Normal--After a trial of allergy medications--it appears I have allergies.

Hope you find the answer for you.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Who else had sinusitis that didn't show up on the CT scan?

I'm am getting treated for allergies and am doing okay now. But if it wasn't for that turbinate, they never would've operated on me. But I had a lot of infection in my sinuses that needed to be cleaned out. When I woke up, the nurse told me I would be feeling a lot better, because I had so much gunk removed that it took him longer than usual. It is so puzzling wny it never shows up on my scans.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 05-11-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Closed Thread