It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone have sinus surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User
    Re: Anyone have sinus surgery?

my surgery date was moved to July 19th... hey dbaum, could you post on this after your surgery and let us know how it went?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #17
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Hi Jimmyjam, Yes I will post and let you know how it goes. I am having my frontal sinus done and I'm not too sure what to expect. My surgery isn't until 11:15 tomorrow so it will be awhile before I post.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #18
    celtic_mom

celtic_mom HB User

Good luck everyone! I'm scheduled for the 14th, but I'm going to probably have to push it back a week. Ugh! I'm ready to get this over with already!

Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 AM   #19
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

I'll be on my way pretty soon. I know my surgery is not until 11:15 but the traffic is pure, you know what to go through. So, I'll be there early.

Check back later.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 AM   #20
    dixiepeep
    (female)

dixiepeep HB User

Good Luck and God Bless. My surgery is the 11th. I hope I can go back to work the week after. What do you all think?

Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 AM   #21
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

I'm back! I didn't get home until after 2pm and I was too tired to post. So far things seem to be doing OK.

I had the left frontal sinuse cleaned out. I was a bit nauseated after surgery so they gave me another dose of Zofran and a patch for motion sickness. That helped a lot. I was really hungry and I had been told to eat lightly but I was too hungry. So around 4pm I had some Wendy's Chicken Strips and a Frostie. It tasted so good. No problems with that so far.

I am on Keflex antibiotics and was given Percocent for pain. So far I have not needed any pain meds, not even Tylenol. Didn't sleep very well but that's to be expected.

The bloody drainage has almost stopped. I started the nasal washes followed by mineral oil this morning. This helped get a lot of the goo out. No packing, thank goodness.

My ENT says on day 3 or 4 I will experience much more congestion and more pressure in my head. He says if the pressure (from the swelling) gets too bad he will give me a course of steroids. We shall see, but so far so good.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #22
    celtic_mom

celtic_mom HB User

So glad to hear everything turned out well! I'm very happy to hear that it doesn't sound to be that bad. It is interesting though that different docs have different procedures. Mine said that he does pack, but with a gel like substance that you aren't even suppose to notice. Also, he said he would put me on steroids straight away and not wait for swelling. Personally, I'd rather wait, I'd like to avoid steroids anymore if possible.

Good luck in the healing process and keep us posted!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #23
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Celtic--I would avoid steroids if at all possible. I don't like having to take them. I did have to take them when I had my tonsillectomy and they do help. I hope I can avoid them this time.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #24
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

I had deviated septum surgery (septoplasty) done 2 months ago. No pain. lots of blood, swelling and stuffiness. i feel pretty good now. just be aware that it's not uncommon to get a sinus infection post surgery, just because the healing process takes time and it stays inflammed for a while. well, i had my maxiallary sinus done too, so maybe that's why i got one. BUT i have to say that sinus infection was a dream compared to ones prior to this surgery. dont chicken out. if your doc. thinks the results will outweigh the risks I highly recommend it.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #25
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

i had a prednisone pack for 7 days. it really helped with my swelling + flonase. my doc felt it was really a must. also (very impt) he gave me a neil med sinus rinse bottle with saline packs. it washes so much junk out. it really helped. i love it so much i still use it. but i dont think it's recommended till at least 4 days post surgery. also, probably no nose blowing for a bit. be patient.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #26
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

I was given the same sinus rinse and it does seem to help. Hopefully, I won't get a sinus infection since my ENT put me on antiobitics right after surgery.

I'm a bit stuffy, but it seems to clear a bit when I move around. Had the surgery Tuesday afternoon and today is pretty good so far. Still no need for pain meds.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #27
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User

well congratulations, i'm glad everything went well... mine is in about a week and a half... let us know how the dreaded day "3 and 4" go... haha.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:32 AM   #28
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Here I am on Day 3. I had a bit of sinus pressure last night but it seems OK today. The nasal washes are good and the mineral oil keeps the crusting down. But, I have noticed I have thick clots (sorry for being gross) that I can blow out. It's quite gross. Once they are out there doesn't seem to be any additional bleeding. My ENT said it was OK to blow but to do it very carefully. I don't want to disturb the healing process but they just feel like they should come out.

My followup is Tuesday so we'll see how things are going. But, so far I think things are OK.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:35 AM   #29
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Well I spoke too soon. Yesterday afternoon I started feeling the swelling. I had pressure building up behind my eye and everytime I coughed my teeth, on that side, would hurt. I called the Doc and he put me on a course of methylprednisolone. So, we'll see how that goes.

The worst so far is when I have sneezing fits. It disturbs the clots and causes some bleeding but only for a short time. Of course, I'm stopped up for the rest of the day.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:20 AM   #30
    celtic_mom

celtic_mom HB User

Ugh! Sorry you've hit a rough patch! I'm thinking maybe I'll go with starting the steroids right off now. I have a question for you. Is there any bruising or swelling on the outside (i.e. could you tell by looking at you that you had surgery)? The reason I ask is I have an appt I forgot about 2 days after my surgery is scheduled and am wondering if I'll be up for it. I don't want to go if it looks like I was in a fight . I also won't go if I have a lot of uncontrollable drainage. I guess what I'd like to know is whether I should reschedule now or not.

I hope you are at feeling better soon!

Closed Thread