It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone have sinus surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2005, 06:22 AM   #31
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User
    Re: Anyone have sinus surgery?

By day 2 the drainage was minimal. I did not have any outward signs of having surgery. The only thing is my eye watered like crazy for about half the day after surgery. Outside of that, no one would ever know. ;D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #32
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User

i had my surgery yesterday (septoplasty, and turbinate reduction)... surgery was around noon, and today i'm feeling okay... yesterday i was a little out of it from the anesthesia, but no nausea or dizziness... little pain so far, i've only used tylenol to help out with it, and i'm on keflex for antibiotics... i'm back to eating normal food today, and my packing will be removed tomorrow morning at 11... the packing kind of sucked at first, but you get used to it real quick... sleep was a bit uncomfortable but life goes on, it's only temporary... some jack johnson music is helping me through it all

Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #33
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

I hope you do well. I am two weeks post op after having just my frontal sinus cleared. I still have inflammation and now an infection in the maxillary sinus. My ENT said that sometimes the left over goo from surgery can become a breeding ground. I am so upset. I am back on antibiotics and I have to go back in another week. Then if it's not better I have to have another CT scan and maybe more surgery for the maxillary sinus. NOT!!!! I am not having any more surgery. I'm worse than I was before the surgery.

I really hope no one else goes through this. It's very frustrating. Has anyone had this kind of experience.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #34
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User

today is day 3 for me, and i had the packing taken out from my nose this morning... that had to have been the most uncomfortable, disgusting feeling i've had my whole life... but well worth how i felt afterward. i could breathe rather freely at first, and i still can now but there's loads of crap in my nose/sinuses that will be cleared out over time with irrigating, but there isn't much bleeding at all now that the packing is gone, nor is there much pain... i'll be on keflex for the next week or so, hopefully that will prevent infection... i'll keep you guys posted on my experience...

Old 07-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #35
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

dont worry. the inflammation takes time to go down. mine took a little less than 3 months. it is always possible to get a sinus infection too. i did BUT it was nothing like any of the ones that I ever had. i was nowhere near as congested as i had been in the past. some people say septoplasty is a joke, but i saw a big difference.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #36
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

This is day 17 and I just don't understand. I can believe the inflammation takes awhile but why would I still have bloody clots come out after each sinus wash. I'm being gentle and not blowing hard at all. I have stopped using Flonase. I just don't think that's a good thing while the sinus is bleeding. The best is, the bleeding is coming from a sinus the Doc supposedly didn't work on. I really feel like I am worse off than before the surgery. I've been reading The Sinus Cure and am really thinking about just taking this into my own hands. I'm very frustrated and don't really know what to do.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #37
    The Inquirer
    (female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi Dbaum,

I'm coming in late here, but wanted to let you know that it was a good idea for you to stop the Flonase. You don't want to be using topical steroids if you're having bleeding -- oral steroids are fine, but not sprays.

I'm 4 months post-op from my third sinus surgery -- it's a drag. Hope you won't need more...

Feel better soon...

Inq

Old 07-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #38
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Thanks Inquirer for the info.

Did you have any of these problems with your surgeries?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #39
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

i had clots too. my ent instructed me to use flonase b/c he said it reallys help with the inflammation. i have had no problems. just do as he says. i wanted to stop my flonase too but he told he i shouldnt.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #40
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Thanks Ima. How long did you have clots? I'm on Day 17. They stopped for awhile but now they're back.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #41
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User

i think a lot of this depends on the type of surgery you had... there's a huge difference in "sinus surgery" and "nasal airway surgery"... i'm sure both have different recovery rates and processes because you're dealing with two different areas of the nose route... maybe that's why your results can vary so much from everybody elses.... your best bet is to talk to your doctor i guess.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:34 AM   #42
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

I just don't know what to think. My surgery was just to clean out the left frontal sinus. That's it. Two months prior to this surgery the same ENT performed a tonsillectomy on me. I had faith in him, but now I'm not so sure. I see the Nurse Practitioner on Tuesday since he's on vacation.

It's just a bit disconcerting when you start losing faith in your Doc.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #43
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

can't remember honestly. it was for some time though. are you still going to your post op ent visits? they remove scar tissue and clean stuff out to help with the healing process.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #44
    celtic_mom

celtic_mom HB User

Yikes Dbaum! I'm just logging on after my surgery on Thursday. I was hoping to hear that you were 100% by now! What did the ENT say at your last visit? I'm really congested, but I started the steroids right away, so I'm hoping that takes it down soon. I just want to know when I can blow my nose!! It's torture to be this stuffed up and not be able to blow it out.

I'm just glad I haven't had any pain. Just unbelievable congestion and some pressure. I will say that whatever he did, even though I'm congested because of the swelling, seems to have fixed the problem with my sinuses draining into my lungs. My lungs have been completely clear since the surgery. I guess if nothing else it was worth it for that. Now if I could just breath through my nose and not bleed - oh yeah, and tasting food would be nice too, but baby steps I suppose.

I'm surprised he put you on nasal steroids this soon myself. They always make me bleed w/o surgery. Maybe you could just go back on a low dose of oral for a little while longer. I hope things clear up soon. Keep us posted!

Old 07-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #45
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User

i'm 4 days post op and i have a question... as the inside of my nose is healing, i noticed little pieces of skin or tissue or something sticking out on the inside, it's a little bit annoying but not enough to really bother me... is that normal or am i doing something wrong?

Closed Thread