HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Anyone have sinus surgery? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/285327-anyone-have-sinus-surgery.html)

jv_2004 05-18-2005 05:59 AM

Anyone have sinus surgery?

Hello, anyone in here with deviated septum have surgery to correct it? If so, how do you feel now? Better? How is the symptoms? I am planning to get my septum corrected. I really feel suicidal at the moment.

tip2mol 05-18-2005 12:42 PM

Re: Anyone have sinus surgery?

Hi,

Yes- I had sinus surgery almost two years ago for 2 reasons 1) To correct a deviated septum and 2) To create openings into my maxillary sinuses because they kept becomming occluded.
Not a fun surgery but it was definitely worth it.
For well over a year, I could breathe through my nose. The turbinates kept swelling and with the septal deviation I just could not get any air into my nose.
I still have sinus problems but not near to the extent that I did.
Definitely well worth it.

Titchou 05-18-2005 02:20 PM

Well, I had mine done years ago and the technique is totally changed. That being said, if I were in the same position today, I'd do it again. My nose had been broken several times and one side was almost closed. I went to an unairconditioned school so I was really struggling to breathe in the spring and fall.....

Halls 05-18-2005 05:43 PM

I had my deviated septum fixed in November and I must say things have gotten a lot better for me. Really, it wasn't that bad. The second day after the surgery was the most painful and I just layed in bed with pain killers all day. After that I started to feel a lot better.

I am having another sinus surgery on Monday but nothing like I had my last surgery so it won't be as bad. Don't worry though, having your nose fixed is really not that bad.

bunnee 05-21-2005 01:04 PM

I had mine 3 weeks ago, and I think Ive gone to heaven. I had trimmed turbinates as well. I suffered facial pain which was so severe i cant even describe. I have no pain now. The surgery is not bad at all. I took no pain meds ( yeah crazy i know) i figured if i tolerated massive facial pain for many years, surgery pain would be a cinch - which it was - well to me,,, you might see it differently. Since surgery, all the foods that used to cause me facial pain, now.... nothing. Ive had dairy queen about 8 times and those crispy cream donuts ahhhh. I havnt had ice cream or junky food in many years. Even my annimal/ dust/ pollen allergies are greatly improved. I still have very mild inflammation, but im sure thats from an unhappy tooth ( a whole other topic). Go do it and dont be afraid at all. Its so worth it. I personally recommend that you get on some antibiotics though, a week before and 2 weeks after. - just my own personal opinion.

For anyone who has a deviated septum with facial pain its called sleuders neuraliga. Mine was caused by an accident

dixiepeep 06-22-2005 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=jv_2004]Hello, anyone in here with deviated septum have surgery to correct it? If so, how do you feel now? Better? How is the symptoms? I am planning to get my septum corrected. I really feel suicidal at the moment.[/QUOTE] I am supposed to have sinus surgery July 11 if I do not chicken out. My doc has not told me anything about my septum. We have to go over the CAT scan tomorrow so I hope I will know more then. I sure hope the surgery helps if I decide to go through with it. I keep a sinus infection it seems.

dbaum 06-23-2005 11:02 AM

I am scheduled for surgery July 5. My ENT is just clearing out the front sinus. His hope is that will relieve the other symptoms I have. Since I had a tonsillectomy done on April 12 my soft palate, on one side, has dropped and the post nasal drip is terrible. I really don't know if this will help the other issues but I guess it can't hurt. My left frontal sinus is completely packed. I just don't see the connection between the sinus and my throat issue.

Anyone else have any experiences similar to this?

dixiepeep 06-24-2005 06:03 AM

I am terrified to have this surgery?? Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the anxiety? I just think it would have to hurt like He** to have this done. My problem is mostly facial pain around my cheeks with constant blockage and sinus infections. I went to the doc yesterday to look at the CAT scan and I know I want to have it done on July 11th but I am so scared. I have had a lot of operations (hysterectomy, 2 foot surgeries, carpet tunnel release) but this one scares me because I just feel like I will feel like I am smothering. Please advise.

dixiepeep 06-24-2005 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=Halls]I had my deviated septum fixed in November and I must say things have gotten a lot better for me. Really, it wasn't that bad. The second day after the surgery was the most painful and I just layed in bed with pain killers all day. After that I started to feel a lot better.

I am having another sinus surgery on Monday but nothing like I had my last surgery so it won't be as bad. Don't worry though, having your nose fixed is really not that bad.[/QUOTE]
why do you have to have another sinus surgery? Has it been a long time ago? Please forgive me for being blunt but after all of the surgeries and biopsies I have had this year I hope I can stay away from surgeons. I just wonder what the chances are that I will need it again also. I have a slightly deviated septum and maxillary blockage. I hope I spelled that correctly. :bouncing:

Halls 06-24-2005 07:06 AM

I had surgery again to try and open the frontal ethmoid sinus as it was blocked. I just has my stint out a couple of days ago and it felt so good getting that out. For now I am healing, but very inflammed on the sinus. It isn't to bad though. Quite normal since I had surgery in that area. If you have blockage you really want to get it opened up. A deviated septum is a real pain to have and getting that fixed can help a lot as well. My first sinus surgery I had maxillary blockage as well and had that opened up. Really, the surgery is not that bad. After 5-6 weeks you won't even be able to tell you had any surgery.

dixiepeep 06-24-2005 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Halls]I had surgery again to try and open the frontal ethmoid sinus as it was blocked. I just has my stint out a couple of days ago and it felt so good getting that out. For now I am healing, but very inflammed on the sinus. It isn't to bad though. Quite normal since I had surgery in that area. If you have blockage you really want to get it opened up. A deviated septum is a real pain to have and getting that fixed can help a lot as well. My first sinus surgery I had maxillary blockage as well and had that opened up. Really, the surgery is not that bad. After 5-6 weeks you won't even be able to tell you had any surgery.[/QUOTE]My problem is that I can only take 5 days off. Do you think I will be able to swing that? I do not have any time off to take from work.

Halls 06-26-2005 06:40 PM

If you can have the surgery on a Monday than you will likely be able to make it to work by the next week.

jimmyjamm 06-29-2005 11:20 PM

i'm surgery is scheduled on July 11th... as far as the recovery rate is concerned, how often are nasal packs used after surgery? i heard its not as common as it used to be... and will i be able to breathe right after surgery (by that, i mean 1 or 2 days later) or will it take weeks for me to breathe through my nose?

Halls 06-30-2005 11:25 AM

you will be able to breath through your nose right away.

dbaum 07-04-2005 03:47 AM

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I will not be having any packing. I was told I will have to use nasal washes 4 times per day and mineral oil drops.