It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Lift/Titanium Implant Reaction Anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
    suncat
    (female)

suncat HB User
    Sinus Lift/Titanium Implant Reaction Anyone?

And the dilema goes on....I had a sinus lift and titanium implant last November on my right upper back tooth. At the end of December I began to have a sore throat on the right side and a metalic taste at times in my mouth. The sore throat has persisted and now I have bilateral ear pain. Oral surgeon said he has never had anyone react to titanium since it is an inert substance and that my symptoms were unlikely from the implant. Sinus films were negative. No fever, tenderness to the area, etc. It could be reflux or thyroid but I find it interesting that it all started after the sinus lift and implant. I have no sinus drainage, runny nose, post nasal drip or anything like that. It's so bizarre. Has anyone out there had any similar experience?

Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    Re: Sinus Lift/Titanium Implant Reaction Anyone?

I have 6 upper implants, without a sinus lift, and haven't had any obvious allergic reaction, aside from the soreness, during healing. It's always possible for someone, I'd think, to have an allergic reaction. Does that gum area itch or is it red, other signs of an allergic reaction? I haven't tasted any metal. I have dealt with some increasing sinus pressure, but I think that is due to my front tooth loss. If the pain becomes chronic, I'd say remove the implant and see if there is an improvement, especially since it's only one implant.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
    suncat
    (female)

suncat HB User

Thanks for responding. No redness or swelling around the gum or itching. I just wonder if the metal is "leaching" out into the tissues? The pain moves around in my upper throat/jaw area below my ears and sometimes the tissue is sore inside my mouth way in the back on each side of my cheeks. It travels around. I go back to the rheumatologist this week to find out what all the blood tests show. You're right. I may have to have the implant removed despite the cost and time I put into it to see if that is the problem.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Have you had any other dental work done? Sometimes, the shots, the surgery, other procedures can be a catalyst for nerve pain. If it was the implant, I'd think the pain would center around it, but I'm not an expert. I just had my 6 implants uncovered, and I'm in post surgery agony. Ouch!!! Hope you feel better.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
    suncat
    (female)

suncat HB User

Thanks. No other dental work done. I thought maybe an autoimmunie response from the titanium and sinus lift triggering inflammation in the throat/ear area. I don't know...back to square one. Hope you are feeling better with your six implant uncoverings. What does that mean anyway, new teeth for your implants?

Old 06-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I wonder if the sinus lift has caused the problem? Does the x-ray show that the implant has definitely not penetrated the sinus cavity? I am having a removable bar overdenture attached to my 6 upper implants. If you type into your search engine, removable bar overdenture, link will tell you about what that is. Right now, I'm in alot of post surgery pain. My gums throb.

Closed Thread