It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Allergy, Sinus, off balance, oh my

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
    Tranzwarp
    (male)

Tranzwarp HB User
    Question Allergy, Sinus, off balance, oh my

Has anyone experienced a feeling of being off balance as an off-shoot of either allergy or sinus problems?

I started experiencing some lightheadedness & the beloved Brain Fog in February. Have had 2 sinus infections since, and now am experiencing vertigo-like sensations. If I close my eyes, I begin to feel slightly off balance. Weird.

I've even had sinus surgery to "open up" everything. However, I think this is more allergy related. Always feel stuffy, and have very swollen turbinates. My ENT has mentioned another surgery to reduce the size of them, but has me trying another steroid nasal spray (this is the 3rd brand)...no improvement. I think I'll do the surgery, but probably need to start taking allergy shots again.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Allergy, Sinus, off balance, oh my

Do you irrigate? One allergist told me that using steroid sprays without irrigating first is like putting oil on water. The spray will just sit on top of your mucus, and never reach the tissue below where it needs to go.

Continuing the shots is probably a good call too.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

I've been feeling the same way. I used to never get allergies but it's hit me hard the past 3 years. This year is the worst, lots of "brain-fog." The backs of my eyes have hurt. I've been trying various things. I've yet to have any surgery. 600mg. of Advil sinus or just ibuprofen seems to help. If I can reduce the pressure, my equilibrium is more even. I ice my sinuses. I recently started using Restassis, for my eyes, which seems to be helping. I generally don't like meds, but the pain is debilitating. In another post, I read about a sinus irrigation machine. I've never seen one. I'll try about anything right now.

Last edited by wmkcolors; 06-04-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

The problem isn't so much the structure as it is the inflammation that causes the dizziness and vertigo. I have been dizzy for over a year now because of sinus inflammtion and it just won't go down. I have had 3 sinus surgeries, irrigate all the time, steroids, etc... and I can't get it down. If i ever come up with a way to cure all sinus inflammtion i will be sure to post it here. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't know what else to make it go away!

Old 06-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
    Tranzwarp
    (male)

Tranzwarp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sneezydiva
    Do you irrigate? One allergist told me that using steroid sprays without irrigating first is like putting oil on water. The spray will just sit on top of your mucus, and never reach the tissue below where it needs to go.

Continuing the shots is probably a good call too.
    Sneezydiva - I hadn't considered irrigating first, but will give it a shot. And speaking of shots, I really feel the need to start those again.

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
    bleedingsoul88
    Inactive
    (female)

bleedingsoul88 HB User
    Smile Re: Allergy, Sinus, off balance, oh my

Do you still have your adenoids? If you do, removing them will help a lot. I could NEVER breath through my nose, until I got my adenoids out, I now have had fewer problems, although I do still suffer from *lightheadedness* and being *off-balance.*

I don't know what other advice to tell you, as I suffer from the same thing and am clueless, but check the adenoid thing, it could help a little.

take care!

Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

wmkcolor, how is it you ice your sinuses? I sometimes put ice packs on my face over and I thought it was helping, but i see it makes me more dizzy. But I know my dissiness comes from inflammation. After 3 surgeries and a year of allergy shots I am not any better. The only cure I know if is likely an obliteration. I will likely have this done and should have had it done a long time ago.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

The ice pak seems to help reduce my pain and inflammation. Some people respond better to ice than others. It's always worth giving anything a try, to see if it helps. I'll ice around the nose, cheek, and eye area, with a cloth wrapped ice pak. I use an old pillowcase and those gel paks, one uses for keeping food in coolers cold or, as a last resort, I'll just use ice cubes in a freezer plastic bag, wrapped in cloth. I'll ice the sinus/facial area lightly, not too long. I've had dizziness too, with my sinus problems, so, I've found that a small doze of motion sickness medicine can help, when it is really bad, though it will make you a little drowsy. 600 mg. of ibuprofen helps the pain. Saline nasal mist. Those are some of my home remedies. Wishing you all a reduction in the inflammation......

Closed Thread