It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Fungal sinusitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
    MissMichele
    (female)

MissMichele HB User
    Unhappy Fungal sinusitis

Does anyone know how fungal sinusitis of any type is diagnosed? Can a regular blood test determine the presence of fungi? I have chronic sinus problems but have tested negative for all allergies (although I always get really bad sinus headaches in the late spring and early autumn). I have a terrible problem with post nasal drip and I always sound congested. Even though I swallow an excess of mucus, my patulous Eustachian tubes open constantly...supposedly more mucus helps keep abnormally open/large tubes remain closed. Not for me.

I just had a blood test and my doctor could not find anything...according to him I am in perfect health. I have headaches (migraine/sinus), sore throat, stabbing pains in my ears, neck and shoulders, general weakness and fatigue, loss of appetite and unexplained loss of weight, chronic sore/hoarse throat and pain behind my eyes.

I have been researching my symptoms and I do not know where to turn. I know I have water damage in my kitchen and I probably have mold in the apartment (my landlady is not legally obligated to have it checked). Anybody with chronic rhinosinusitus/pET/possible exposure to mold out there?

I need some help from someone who has experience with this...I do know that my right osiomeatal units display virtual complete occlusion by mucosal thickening. Is this indicative of fungal sinusitis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
    princess12
    (female)

princess12 HB User
    Re: Fungal sinusitis

yes this is the fungal is hiding in your sinuses and it can appear clear and sinsuses be cleared up and everything be fine but the fungus lives where there is moisture and wherever there is heat also so think about your body for one minute.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

there are different types of fungal sinusitis. One is general, and the other is "invasive fungal sinusitis" which is rare but very serious.

Try Sinofresh and irrigation to combat any fungus that might be present.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm a little confused. Have you had a CT scan of your sinuses, and it's showing a blockage, but the doctor won't do anything about it?

Fungal sinusitis is rare. I would also think it would act up more in the summer when humidity is high and there is mold in the air. But you might have untreated bacterial sinusitis.

You mentioned you had a blood test that said you were in "perfect health". If your doctor said your white blood count is fine, and therefore, you don't have an infection, then you need another doctor. My primary doctor once told me the same thing. My allergist told me that WBC is absolutely not a good indication of sinus infections, because the infection stays isolated in your sinuses and rarely goes into the bloodstream.

Closed Thread