It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Simultaneous SVT's and sinus bradycardias

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User
    Simultaneous SVT's and sinus bradycardias

Hello all,

This is the first time I am posting here. I am a 42 year old male of
    normal weight and in fairly good shape. My blood pressure is normal
    and my cholesterol readings are exceptionally good.

Last spring, I started developing a fluttering sensation in my chest
    on inhalation. I went to the cardiologist and got a Holter monitor.
    They found that I was having episodes of supraventricular tachycardia (abreviated SVT which is a rapid heart beat) followed by sinus bradycardia (slow heart beat). He told me that normally, the SVT's can be treated with medication but since I also have the sinus bradycardia, this was not a good idea because anything that would calm down the SVT's would make the slow heatbeats too slow and be dangerous. He assured me that my condition was not life threatening and the I should give up caffeine. After not taking in any caffeine for awhile, I didn't notice any difference and I was cranky as hell
    without it.

Since I also have sleep apnea, they wanted to do a sleep study. I
    use a CPAP machine which has pretty much cured the apneas for the
    last 3 years. So I had my follow up sleep study in July and my sleep
    was perfectly normal but they noticed the SVT-sinus bradycardia
    episodes all night long. It was almost as rhythmic as SVT's when I
    inhale and sinus bradycardia when I exhale.

So here I am with all these supposedly "expert" doctors at a very
    reputable hospital and they have never seen anything like this! The
    only solution they have is to put a pacemaker in me to control the
    sinus bradycardias and also put me on meds to control the SVT's. He
    said he is reluctant to put a pacemaker in someone my age but sees no
    other choice unless I want to live with this. The feeling is very
    distressing and I want it to go away.

Has anyone here ever heard of anything like this? Any advice is
    greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Ron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Simultaneous SVT's and sinus bradycardias

Never heard of anything like it, but did they mention radiofrequency ablation as an option for you?

Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hi Timber,

Thanks for your reply.

I mentioned radio frequency ablation to my cardiologist but he said that wasn't an option for me. Too bad as that sounds like the most preferable remedy.

Ron

Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
    queenmomma
    (female)

queenmomma HB User

I have SVT, I am 54, smoke but am otherwise healthy. (passed my stress test!). My doctor discourages the meds because they alter the ion and sodium paths in the heart, but wants me to have the ablation instead, which costs about $20,000.00+, and the meds are about $150.00 mo. What do you think? I've had to have two of the shots to shop/start my heart in the last 5 months.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hi Queenmomma,

What do I think? I think I'd rather have the RF ablation procedure and not have to take any pills since the meds have some nasty side affects for a lot of people. Unfortunately, my cardiologist told me that the RF ablation is not an option in my case. He thinks that the fast heartbeats are being caused by the slow ones and is actually more concerned about the slow ones than the fast. His only course of treatment would be a pacemaker to speed up the slow beats and then if necessary, meds to slow the fast ones. I can only feel the fast ones. Don't like it.

Ron

Old 09-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

BTW, has anyone here had to get a pacemaker for sinus bradycardia or a too slow heart rate?

Ron

Old 09-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
    Javalinda
    (female)

Javalinda HB User

Ron,

I just posted today but have yet to receive any answers. Yes, I have definitely heard of what's happening to you. It's happening to me also and I also have sleep apnea, have had the sleep studies but haven't been fitted for the C Pap yet because I started experiencing these cardiac (I think) problems again.

I first went to my family doctor and mentioned these 'flutterings', skipped beats, SVTs etc. For a year he's been telling me it's stress, I'm fine, not to worry. This time I pushed for a cardiac workup. The symptoms weren't debilitating but I was kind of nervous about them, felt like my heart would stop when the slow beats came.

I got a Holter Monitor which caught the events. My bradycardia was 30 while I was sleeping and the pauses (which I thought were skipped beats--they were NO beats!) were about 3 seconds. I was called and told I had sick sinus syndrome and that I needed a pacemaker, dual chamber. I was also told that the pacemaker would take care of the slow beats but then I would need meds to control the fast beats and that would have an effect on the slow beats and could make that part (bradycardia) worse!

I'm 59, female, and when you get to 59 you'll also think you're too young for a pacemaker. I did and told him that. Too bad. They scheduled me for surgery at the end of this month.

Meanwhile, I went to a well respected EP (second opinion) who did no studies but agreed, by looking at the Holter Monitor readouts, that I had SSS. He doesn't want to put in a pacemaker because I do not have fainting etc that comes with this sinus node dysfunction...not yet anyway. I don't know what they want to wait for but I was told to wait until I got worse. I have no idea what worse means and that's what I asked on this board. Is worse like REALLY worse? Very scary to me.

I thought I went to a great hospital also but, because I have two opinions which differ greatly, then I guess I'll have to go for the tie breaker.

Meanwhile, it is very interesting to me to know that you also have sleep apnea. I discussed with my husband that my problems showed up while I was sleeping (though I do feel the symptoms while I am awake at times) and perhaps the sleep apnea is causing this and not SSS. I have never had a heartbeat of 30 while awake, just when sleeping. Just hoping, I guess, for a neater diagnosis, something that I can understand.

If I get any further in my quest for answers or get a definitive diagnosis from the next guy I go to, then I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I would not (this is me, not giving you advice) get a pacemaker until I investigate everything I can about my diagnosis.

I wish you luck, I know this is very frustrating. Javalinda

Old 09-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hi Javalinda,

Thanks for your reply. I was away for awhile so that's why I haven't answered sooner.

It sounds an awful lot like you have something very similar to me. The only difference is that they didn't mention anything about 3 seconds in between beats. They just said that my heart rate at night went down to around 30 at times. This never happened while I was awake but I had the SVT's at any time day or night. During the night the pattern was like, 3 seconds at around 200 and then another few seconds at around 30. The interesting thing they told me was that if you took my average rate for the night including fast and slow, it averaged to around normal (60-65).

Yes, it's true that they can't give you meds to slow down the SVTs because that would make the slow beats even slower. But once a pacemaker is in the picture, its job is to take over when your heart rate is too slow regardless of why. In other words, once you have a pacemaker, it's not going to affect it when you take meds.

And yes, my docs believe in covering all the bases and eliminating all other posibilities before doing anything as drastic as a pacemaker. I think this is the right way to approach this. He did ask me if I had any fainting or lightheadedness which I don't. I think that was more a liability issue than anything else. Naturally, if you have fainting spells, you'll be advised not to drive or operate other machinery, etc.

You should definitely get fitted for a CPAP machine since when you stop breathing, your heart will start racing to try to make up for the oxygen you're not taking in. My ENT seems to feel that the arrhythmia problem I'm having now might have something to do with the years that I slept with untreated sleep apnea.

Wish you the best of luck!

Ron

Old 09-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
    mike&ryansmom
    (female)

mike&ryansmom HB User

Ron,
    I also have SVT which I found out in Jan-05. The reason why I went to the Cardo was because of heart flutters,flips,rolls, whatever you may want to call them.
    Anyway, they did put my on the holter and he said, I have SVT.
    The funny thing is when I have my flutters, flips, or flops, my heart rate is never fast. So I am not sure why they keep telling me that I have tracardia.
    So when you have your flutters, do you feel a rapid heart beat?
    I am wondering if they have it correct. Sometimes I think they are blowing me off since I am a female....Who knows. I was just wondering if you feel your rapid heart beat and then experience your flutters.

PS...I do get a rapid heart beats from time to time, but at that time my heart never flutter...Go figure.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Mike & Ryan's mom,

You are correct that flutters, SVT's or whatever you want to call them are not necessarily related to a consistent rapid heartbeat. In fact, I have actually noticed that when I do any form of arobic excercise such as biking, swimming, brisk walking, the flutters go away only to come back when my heartbeat slows back down to its resting rate.

This is actually LESS worrisome than if it were the other way around. I know that there are certain types of arrhythmias where excercise aggrivates the condition. Luckily, I don't have that type.

Don't get me wrong. I've dealt with my share of anxiety attacks from this and other incidents in my life and I can tell you that the feeling is somewhat different.

Ron

Last edited by Ronk0747; 09-27-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hello all,

Just to update all of you on my situation.

My cardiologist wants me to come in and have a 6 month follow up Holter monitor test as well as a follow up CT scan on my chest and abdomen. This will be happening next week so stay tuned.

In the past 6 months, I had a follow-up sleep study for sleep apnea which it was determined that the sleep apnea was being treated well before and my pressure didn't change so that's not a factor.

What may very well be a factor though is that I was taking anti-anxiety meds -- Zoloft and Paxil off and on for the last couple of years. The doc says that it is conceivable that anti-anxiety meds can suppress your heart rate. This could possibly be why I had the sinus bradycardias during the night. If I could get rid of the sinus bradycaridas, the cardiologist could safely give me meds like beta-blockers to calm the SVT's. I stopped taking anti-anxiety meds about a month ago and I'm litterally bouncing off the walls!!! Don't know how much longer I can go! Maybe the beta-blockers will have a calming affect--don't know. Now I just have to tough it out before they take me away, LOL!

Thank you to all who have posted on this string! I'll keep you all posted!

Ron

Old 10-15-2005, 04:52 AM   #12
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hello all,

Just this week had the follow up CT scans and Holter monitor test. Doc says he'll have the results early next week.

I'll keep you all posted.

Ron

Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #13
    Excelsoir

Excelsoir HB User

I am not a cardiologist,of course, but mate, I would take the pacemaker and any other necessary medication.All the best.
    Regards, Excelsior,
    NSW, Australia.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hello all,

Have had very few if any symptoms for about a week now. I wonder if switching from coffee to tea has anything to do with this. The strange thing is that when I switched to decaf coffee, the symptoms continued but then when I went to tea WITH caffeine, the symptoms subsided. I also know someone at work who gets dizzy spells when he drinks coffee but doesn't when he drinks tea. Has anyone else here noticed a reaction to coffee?

I also wonder if there might be something in Rain-X washer fluid that might cause an irregular heartbeat when breathed in from the washer spray. I haven't used the washer in a couple of weeks. There are many "every-day" chemicals that we use that we don't even suspect. But if you ever looked at the material safety data sheet on one of these, it lists a whole bunch of symptoms that one may or may not get if they breathe, ingest, get it on their skin, etc. I have to wonder.

Ron

Closed Thread