It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Can pnd alone indicate allergy or sinus problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
    Scarlet Knight

Scarlet Knight HB User
    Can pnd alone indicate allergy or sinus problems?

Hi all. Just a quick question. I currently have pretty bad post-nasal drip. My doctor's first thought was a sinus issue. She prescribed antibiotics, which I took, and I've also tried Claritin and Sudafed. No luck.

I know from my doctor that pnd can be caused by acid reflux, which I do have. Since I have no other sinus symptoms - no pressure, no sneezing, running nose, etc. - i'm leaning toward the reflux as an explanation. I also have never had allergies to anything in my life.

Can pnd alone indicate a sinus or allergy issue, or must other common symptoms be present? Thanks all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User
    Re: Can pnd alone indicate allergy or sinus problems?

I would think it would have to be related to some sinus problem: rather it's a cold, allergy, infection, etc.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
    Scarlet Knight

Scarlet Knight HB User

Thanks for the reply Midget. I should have mentioned that I have had this for about six weeks now. If I had a sinus infection, the antibiotics would have taken care of it, right? I also don't have a cold - no sneezing, runny nose, congestion, etc. Is it possible to develop allergies at any time in life? I am 22.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Yes it is possible to develop allergies later in life. In fact, the early 20's is a very common age to develop them. I don't think reflux can cause PND.

Claritin doesn't work for a lot of people. For me, I might as well be taking a sugar pill. And depending on which antibiotic you took, it might not have been strong enough to kill your infection.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
    Scarlet Knight

Scarlet Knight HB User

Hi sneezydiva. If I had an infection, wouldn't there be certains signs? For instance, I thought the body always ran a temperature when it had an infection; the thermometer showed me to be in normal range. Also wouldn't a sinus infection involve sinus pain and pressure? I never experienced those either.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Antibiotics are only effective in treating acute sinus infections, and even then, it only takes care of about 50% of them. Antibiotics do not work against chronic sinus infections, or fungal sinusitis. So as a general rule, antibiotics don't work. The reason is that there is no blood flow in the sinus cavities, and no way for the antibiotic to even get in there.

I have not tried an antibiotic nebulizer, but I may be headed down that road right now.

If you are not running a fever, don't heave bad headaches, facial pressure, etc. I doubt you have a sinus infection. It sounds like a virus and allergies.

I'm in the same boat right now. I have PND from hell, and a lung virus. It's been going on for about 10 days. I cough up yellow every morning. But the traditional sinus infection symptoms are not present (dizziness, facial pressure, etc.) -so I'm holding off on antibiotics. It's wait and see.

Try an irrigation routine to clear some of that gunk up, and start taking Chlro-Tremiton 4hour.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I never run a fever with a sinus infection. Most people get sinsus pressure, but Sometimes you don't, and if you have allergies, it can be hard to distiinguish sometimes, especially when the pressure isn't that bad.

Closed Thread