It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Nasal Spray = Painful Sinuses?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
    Kit*Kat
    (female)

Kit*Kat HB User
    Nasal Spray = Painful Sinuses?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post since I didn't see a sinus section, but here goes...

I've never been tested for allergies, but year around I usually have a somewhat stuffed up nose and it runs almost constantly. I also have fairly dark circles under my eyes, which I've read can be an indicator of allergies. Recently I started using a saline nasal spray several times a day and it seems like the stuffy, runny nose is gone for the most part. The problem is that my sinuses have been very painful since I started doing this. I haven't been to a doctor about it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this or knows what might be going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
    MandyPandy
    (female)

MandyPandy HB User
    Re: Nasal Spray = Painful Sinuses?

Even some of the saline nasal sprays can have medications in them that can cause irritation to the nasal cavities etc. I would say that if you always have allergy type symptomps this time of year that you probably do have an allergy (I am allergic to mold and have increased symptoms this time of year) and should see an allergist to get on an allergy medication and/or shots.

Good luck,
    Amanda

Old 11-01-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
    ZRulz
    (male)

ZRulz HB User

Great advice Amanda! I am having a rough time right now too with my mold sensitivity. Everything is dying. Leaves are the worst for molds as they lay on the ground and rot. I have tried several saline sprays and never found any that did not cause irritations or infections. However, I love the Sinus Flood recipe posted in Allergy discussions by Beerzoids - what a difference!!!

Even our tap water here in TN irritates my sinuses, so the distilled works great as does the very pure sea salt my friend gets from San Francisco Bay for her Bath Salts.

Kit*Kat, I would discontinue use if it is irritating your sinuses and see an allergist.

John

Old 11-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

It sounds like irritation. The same mucus that causes so many breathing and sinus problems is the same mucus that coats and protects raw, irritated sinus tissue. So now that there is less mucus, those tissues are bing exposed to the air, and you feel the pain. I agree, the best course would be to see an allergist to get to the root of the problem. In the meantime, look for a moisturizing saline spray. It will probably contain glycerin which will moisturize and help protect your inflamed sinus tissue.

Closed Thread