It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Bizarre tooth/sinus problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2002, 07:27 AM   #1
    CandyS

CandyS HB User
    Post Bizarre tooth/sinus problem

In 1987 I had a root canal and crown of one of my upper molars. This tooth has always sort of "zinged" now and then. Since January I have battled 4 painful sinus infections. The symptoms were pain in cheek below the eye, which radiated to my whole head. I ended up on prednisone and antibiotics, but this last bout, after being on the meds for a week, I had an acute flare-up which landed me in ER thinking I was having a stroke. CAT scans showed nothing - sinuses were clear (remember I'd been on the atb and steroid for a week) and finally a neurologist suggested I have my tooth more closely examined. My local dentist took xrays, said if he hadn't really been looking, he wouldn't have seen it - the root of the crowned/root canaled tooth appeared to have penetrated the sinus floor, and there was a dark spot a little smaller than a pencil eraser above the root. Abscess? He thought it must be. He pulled the tooth and it felt like he was sucking my eye out of my mouth. Yuk. I felt better right away (this was 6 days ago) but I still have some aching in that area, along with some radiating pain but not nearly what it was before. I am still on atb, have stopped the steroid, but am taking a NSAID for inflammation. How long will it take for this to feel normal? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Could I have pushed this tooth up into the sinus by crunching on something hard? Sorry this got long - it's been even longer for me!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
    jjayt

jjayt HB User
    Your teeth can do weird things. The roots can grow around nerves and into sinus cavities.

Old 06-29-2002, 08:18 AM   #3
    CandyS

CandyS HB User
    I have done lots of reading about Bromelain - I think I'll give it a try.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-29-2002).]

Old 07-09-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
    loula

loula HB User
    If you had no problem before the root canal was done, it could be that the dentist who did the root canal pushed the root into the sinus when he was filling it or maybe he porforated the root and some of the filler from the root canal went into the sinus. THis can make you very ill (meningitis type symptoms) Glad he found it and that you are getting better. SOme people go to dentists with problem teeth and the dentist do not look close enough on xrays, then they say there is nothing wrong and send them home and the person just gets worse. What were your symptoms that sent you to the er.

Closed Thread