It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Allergies or sinus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User
    Allergies or sinus?

Hi
    Ive been having a terrible time with post nasal drip since the start of October. I had a sinus infection and then problems have just continued. I was on Nasonex and just before Xmas they put me onto Flixonase and Zyrtec. Well I just ended up being really bunged/blocked up. Last week I stopped taking the zyrtec as I feel its not doing me any favours at all, and the flixonase doesn't seem to be doing anything either.

Question is: my symptoms are : running nose that when I blow it there is absolutely loads of gunk that comes out - on Friday it was yellow however now it is white or clear, but there is loads of it. My dr said that it was allergies at Xmas, but there is absolutely tons of gunk. And I doubt that allergies would suddenly cause such severe symptoms.

It also affects my breathing - I wake up at 4 and can't breathe either due to asthma being affected or nose congested.

Anyone have any clue about whether this sounds like allergies as my dr says or whether this is sinus problems? Id appreciate any thoughts.

Best wishes

Tesss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Allergies or sinus?

This is so hard. I think we all have been brought up with the idea that if mucus is colored it must be an infection. But my doctor has told me that if it is PALE yellow, it is often severe allergies. And that seems to be the case for me. But everyone is different, you might indeed have an infection, though I bet allergies are the main reason why you are getting infections.

It actually sounds like the Flixonase is doing its job. When you first use Flonase, often old yucky gunk that has been stuck up there is finally able to make its way out. I would continue to use it and see your doctor.

The breathing problems might be sino-broncial syndrome. It is when infected sinus drainage gets in your lungs and causes asthma like symptoms. I had this, and it went away after I had sinus surgery.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

Hey SneezyDiva
    Thanks for the reply. Ive posted a few times on this board now and you always answer. I never used to even think my breathing probs were due to sinus/post nasal drip until you mentioned ages ago what happened to you a long time ago. So thank you for all the advice you have given me.

Hmm so sounds like it is possibly allergy then. It is funny though how it started so suddenly which made me think it could be sinus. I get a bad smell in my nose a lot, I spose that also could be due to the build up over time rather than an infection? There is a lot of thick gunk too suddenly rather than steadily over time.

So have you come across any ways to treat this apart from taking drugs? Im not keen on taking drugs. I have been on Nasonex from October until recently and although it made a difference initially the effect soon wore off and I was taking a dose twice a day. Id rather treat the source but I guess that isn't an option?

What was your sinus surgery for?

Sorry about all the questions. Hope you are well.

Best wishes
    Tesss

Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
    osmonxp
    (male)

osmonxp HB User
    Talking Re: Allergies or sinus?

You should try daily irrigation, I was having the same problem you have but after 2 weeks of continuous irrigation the sinus drainage was gone. Give it a try.

Last edited by osmonxp; 01-24-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
    Icky_Metal
    (male)

Icky_Metal HB User

I've been dealing with similar issues for the past couple of years. The yellowish post nasal drainage always was of concern and was always present when I felt my worst. Antibiotics never worked and I believe now that it is not an infection, but allergies. I irrigate twice a day (once a day I add Pulmicort, a nasal steroid for asthma to the mix) and it has helped a lot with reducing the PND, headaches, and feverishness.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tesss
    Hey SneezyDiva
    Thanks for the reply. Ive posted a few times on this board now and you always answer. I never used to even think my breathing probs were due to sinus/post nasal drip until you mentioned ages ago what happened to you a long time ago. So thank you for all the advice you have given me.

Hmm so sounds like it is possibly allergy then. It is funny though how it started so suddenly which made me think it could be sinus. I get a bad smell in my nose a lot, I spose that also could be due to the build up over time rather than an infection? There is a lot of thick gunk too suddenly rather than steadily over time.

So have you come across any ways to treat this apart from taking drugs? Im not keen on taking drugs. I have been on Nasonex from October until recently and although it made a difference initially the effect soon wore off and I was taking a dose twice a day. Id rather treat the source but I guess that isn't an option?

What was your sinus surgery for?

Sorry about all the questions. Hope you are well.

Best wishes
    Tesss

Hmm well a bad smell very well might be an infection. But again it is hard to say.

I do take a lot of meds, but I also get allergy shots and do nasal irrigations. The allergy shots are working well, and I am at the point where I am usually just a little sniffly as opposed to feeling horrible all the time. The nasal irrigations help keep me clear also. Before the shots kicked in, the nasal irrigations were my salvation from severe congestion.

At some point I will hopefully reduce my meds, but to be honest, I have a feeling I will always use my Flonase nasal spray. One thing you can do to help your spray work better is to either irrigate before or use a saline nosespray before and blow your nose. It helps the spray reach your nasal tissues instead of just coating the mucus in your nose.

The main part of my sinus surgery was a turbinate reduction. The turbinate was so big it was blocking sinus drainage on my right side. So he went ahead and clean some stuff out of my right sinuses also.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:47 AM   #7
    Icky_Metal
    (male)

Icky_Metal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sneezydiva

The main part of my sinus surgery was a turbinate reduction. The turbinate was so big it was blocking sinus drainage on my right side. So he went ahead and clean some stuff out of my right sinuses also.
    SneezyD. - Was it evident from a CT scan that the turbinate was actually blocking the sinus drainage? I've had an ENT suggest a turbinate reduction ... but others tell me that the CT scan showed that my sinuses were open, so it wouldn't be worth it. The opening are very small though and I'm considering surgery to make them bigger.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Icky,

Yeah the turbinite was huge, and almost toching my maxilary sinus. My surgeon went ahead and increased the opening of the sinus on my right. It helped drainage alot, I really widh he could've done it on the left too.

The turbinate reduction, if nothing else, will help you breathe better. My right nostril always felt blocked before my surgery. After surgery, even with packing, I could breathe better.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

Glad to hear the surgery worked so well for you SneezyDiva. Which reminds me that my dr looked in my nose and said that my right nostril was really shut at the top due to inflammation. I guess thats not making my symptoms any easier.

I will start to irrigate as you all seem to have such success with it. I do actually have a neti pot and have irrigated in the past for hayfever. I currently do use a nasal saline spray at night which seems to help me get through most of the night. Does anyone out anything else in their nasal wash apart from salt/pulmicort to irrigate with to help? I don't see that I could get pulmicort easily from my dr for this!

But thanks for all the responses. Its good to see that you are all having some relief too.
    Best wishes
    Tesss

Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I use a product called Neti-wash plus to irrigate with. It has some natural mucus thinners plus zinc to help prevent infections.

Sometimes, I spray a little Nasalcrom in there, and it helps when my allergies are really bad..

Old 01-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #11
    anna317
    (female)

anna317 HB User

Hi everybody:

I hear so much about irrigation, but have no idea how to do it. Can anybody explain?! I am suffering from a lot of sinus pressure and post nasal dranage since August.
    Thank you,

Anna

Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
    osmonxp
    (male)

osmonxp HB User

Nasal irrigation is cleaning out your nose with a fluid. When you have a horrible head cold, or your nose is running with allergies, you've probably wished you could just flush your sinuses and nasal passages clean somehow. Well, doctors have done this for many years, it used to be called a "Proetz machine", and it forced a solution of salty water into your nose to clean out the sinuses.

The best solution to use is not simply isotonic saline but an enhanced nasal/sinus moisturizing formula that is more complex, one that is more gentle than pure saline and has other ingredients to make it an improved nasal and sinus moisturizer. Always avoid saline moisturizers and sprays containing preservatives or other additives, which make you worse!

I use the Grossan Sinus Irrigation system with Breath Ease XL and let me tell you, it has worked wonders for me (Now there is also the Netti or Neti Pot, the bulb, and the syringe.) Give a try, you won't be disappointed.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
    anna317
    (female)

anna317 HB User

Thank you!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

I really like the sound of all these nasal washes but I am in the UK and don't recognise any of these things as being available here. Anyone from the UK use anything similar?

Best wishes to all
    Tesss

Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
    osmonxp
    (male)

osmonxp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tesss
    I really like the sound of all these nasal washes but I am in the UK and don't recognise any of these things as being available here. Anyone from the UK use anything similar?

Best wishes to all
    Tesss

You can try NeilMed products, they are as effective as the Grossan machine.

[url]http://www.unimedprod.com/europe.shtml[/url]

Closed Thread