It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinusits & Prednisone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
    Mar1
    (female)

Mar1 HB User
    Sinusits & Prednisone

I've got a question, specifically related to prednisone. A little background, came down with a sinus infection September of '05. Been on 2 rounds of Amoxi (400 & 875 mg), 2 rounds of Avelox between Sept. and December. On December 15th I saw an ENT who put me on 875mg of Augmentin and Prednisone as well as Duomax. Had a CT scan of my sinuses, which showed what we expected it to, deviated septum, concha bullosa, a cyst in my left maxillary sinus and blockage of my right maxillary sinus (It's always only been on the right). Had a followup on Dec.29th and was doing fine, no pain, no congestion. About 2 weeks ago, the pain came back. I don't feel like have any more congestion than usual (have allergies and asthma, well controlled with Singulair), just a lot of pain in my right sinus. Saw the ENT yesterday and I'm on Augmentin again as well as more Prednisone. We're going to get the infection under control and then do another CT scan when my sinuses are "normal" to see if there's anything else going on.

My question is, is there any kind of increase in the risk of side effects from the pred since I"m on my second round of it in a little over a month? I didn't have any problems last time I was on it except for being hungry all the time. I haven't had the munchies like that since high school lol.

The way he's dosing me on it is this: 20 mg pills 3 pills 1x day for 3 days ; 2 pills 1x a day for 3 days ; 1 pill 1x a day for 3 days ; and then half a pill until they're gone.

It works out to like 18 days of pred.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mar1 For This Useful Post:
    mcanvasback (04-14-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Re: Sinusits & Prednisone

Hello,

I have also had lots of sinus problems, not exactly like yours, but I have sinusitis, allergies, chronic rhinitis, and asthma, along with the fact that I had to get my adnoids out to be able to breath!!! what a relief that was!!!

Anyway, to get to the point. I have been prescribed doses of Prednizone many, many times throughout my life. Sometimes as frequent as you stated, and sometimes stronger doses. I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of Prednizone. The worst is that it will make you feel "antsy" and like you said, it will increase your appetite. But it should be fine, as long as this is your last dose for a couple months .

-Vers

Old 01-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: Sinusits & Prednisone

I was on two rounds of Prednisone actually it was methylprednisolone which is a stronger form of prednisone when I hurt my back. They were both for 6 days and it was within a month of eachother. I didn't have any problems with it other then feeling really sick while taking it but that went away when I was done taking it. Some people say it lowers the immune system and can cause you to catch colds and get sick easier but I never had that problem.

Closed Thread