It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Question about sinus surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
    janet23
    (female)

janet23 HB User
    Question about sinus surgery

My 22 year old daughter has chronic sinus infections. For the past 6 months, she has been on one antibiotic after another which did no good. Her latest was a 3 week round of Avelox, and she's still sick. She has a headache every day and bronchitis from the drainage. A CT scan revealed blockage/infection in all 4 sinuses (maxillary and ethmoidal). Her ENT wants to do surgery. She is sick and tired of being sick and tired and wants to follow his advice and have the surgery in about a month. Has anyone here gone through this and did it help? Someone told me that once you have sinus surgery, you're likely to need it again. I've also heard it's a really bad experience. Should she go ahead with the surgery or seek help elsewhere?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: Question about sinus surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janet23
    My 22 year old daughter has chronic sinus infections. For the past 6 months, she has been on one antibiotic after another which did no good. Her latest was a 3 week round of Avelox, and she's still sick. She has a headache every day and bronchitis from the drainage. A CT scan revealed blockage/infection in all 4 sinuses (maxillary and ethmoidal). Her ENT wants to do surgery. She is sick and tired of being sick and tired and wants to follow his advice and have the surgery in about a month. Has anyone here gone through this and did it help? Someone told me that once you have sinus surgery, you're likely to need it again. I've also heard it's a really bad experience. Should she go ahead with the surgery or seek help elsewhere?

I had sinus surgery in May 2004 and it was the best thing I've ever done regarding my sinuses. I had chronic sinusitis for almost a year before the surgery. Everyday, I could not breath through my nose, and was always congested. I had sinus infections and was treated with antibiotics every 2 or 3 months. Since the surgery, I haven't had one problem, which is a record for me.

As far as needing the surgery again, I've talked to a lot of people who've had the surgery, and those individuals that needed the surgery again usually did not follow the doctor's recommendations (such as allergy shots). One woman I know in particular was advised to see an allergist and refused because she doesn't like injections-- she's had the surgery 3 times. Conversely, most people who've followed the advice of their surgeons and have been treated with allergy injections have been problem-free.

As far as the surgery experience, I had no pain, no profuse bleeding, or anything. I did run into some problems due to a reaction from the anesthesia, but that had nothing to do with the ENT.

In short, if your daughter has had problems for that long, I do recommend surgery, as long as she's being treated by a good surgeon.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I am having the surgery on March 3. I have a very deviated septum and my turbines are too big. I am happy about having it done, because I'm so sick of having all the pain that I've gone through. Although I do have other issuses about it, but that's gonna be another post.. don't want to deflect from yours

Old 02-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
    janet23
    (female)

janet23 HB User

Thanks for both your replies. GLSheridan, did you have all four sinuses done and what was your recoup time? Regarding allergy shots, my daughter had the allergy tests done a couple of weeks ago. Severely allergic, of course. What I can't believe is that the health insurance (one of the better known ones) will pay only $200 on allergy shots per year. Each vial will cost $180!! I don't understand why they won't pay pay.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Oh my Gosh! I can't believe how much they are charging you! Every insurance company I have had (and I've had a few in the 2 1/2 years I've been getting the shots) I've always only had to pay a five dollar copay, and when I didn't have insurance, they would only charge me $15. Maybe look around for another allergist... or research your health insurance a bit more... allergy shots have been a Godsend for me!

Old 02-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #6
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I only had one sinus and a turbinite operated on, but it was the best thing I ever did.

I agree about double checking the insurance, that just doesn't sound right. Maybe they left off a zero? here's hoping!

Old 02-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janet23
    Thanks for both your replies. GLSheridan, did you have all four sinuses done and what was your recoup time? Regarding allergy shots, my daughter had the allergy tests done a couple of weeks ago. Severely allergic, of course. What I can't believe is that the health insurance (one of the better known ones) will pay only $200 on allergy shots per year. Each vial will cost $180!! I don't understand why they won't pay pay.

Yes, I had all sinuses done, and polyps removed from the ethmoid sinuses. I also had my septum repaired.

It is crazy what allergy serum can cost. My vials of medication are $120 per vial, and I use 2 different vials. The injections are only $25/week, but that does not include the cost of the vials. Fortunately, I do have insurance now, but I did have to pay full price for a few months while I was in between jobs. As far as why the company will not pay, it's either just a therapy that's not included in their standard provisions, OR it's a provision that your employer (insurance sponser) elected not to offer.

Closed Thread