It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone else discover sinusitis when having MRI done for MS reasons?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
    beachlover247
    (female)

beachlover247 HB User
    Unhappy Anyone else discover sinusitis when having MRI done for MS reasons?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this. Last summer, after a relapse, the MRI reavealed a sinus infection along with new leisons of course. Anyway, after tons of steroids, etc. I have continued to have that "heavy head", kind of dizzy feeling for the last 8 months. I haven't run a fever or anything like with an infection. I pretty much live on decongestants, but they don't really help. My last MRI was this last week and it showed no change in the lesions, but noted that I should see my GP for sinus infection. My head does feel a lot of pressure and still dizzy...it almost feels normal to feel this way cause it's been so long, but I know this is not how I am supposed to feel. I've just forgotten what it means to feel "good." Please let me know if you have gone thru this and maybe what helped you to feel better. Thanks....Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
    cals
    (female)

cals HB User
    Re: Anyone else discover sinusitis when having MRI done for MS reasons?

Funny you ask this. I have severe persistant asthma. I had a cat scan last year and they discovered chronic sinusitis. This last september 05 I had sinus/septum surgery. Well I still kept getting what I thought was a bad sinus infection. Went to my ENT and he said No, that my sinuses look great. He said the surgery fixed it all.
    Then all these symptoms of Fibromyalgia or MS(they don't know for sure) came about. I was sent a few weeks ago for MRI of brain and neck. MRI showed what they called sinus disease. No one mentioned it to me. I read it on the report.
    Is sinus disease the same as chronic sinusitis? If so....it is in my report. Weird since my ENT told me I'm not having sinus infections anymore and that it is something else. lol

Old 03-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
    ITrustMySoulNYC

ITrustMySoulNYC HB User

Coincidentally, my mom just found out she has sinusitis and new lesions when she went for an MRI last week, and she has had it before after being diagnosed with MS. One time she had a procedure where they sucked out the mucus sack through her noise. This time, they are giving her tons of meds, they are making her feel sick, but getting rid of the infection.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
    lestoby
    Inactive
    (female)

lestoby HB User

Yep,

A sinus infection showed up on my CAT scan and MRI, as well as an osteoma (bony growth) in my L Frontal Lobe sinus, and 2 lesions.

So, since I do not have an official dx of MS, I thought, maybe the osteoma could be the source of the pain I have with my eyes and forehead. Go to an ENT, and was told not much I can do about the osteoma, except to cut open my forehead (dangerous operation).

This is probably not the source of my eye problems (most likley due to lesions in occipital lobe), so I think I will forego any drastic surgeries. They just want to monitor the growth of the osteoma to see if it gets any bigger.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
    curious11
    Inactive
    (female)

curious11 HB User

I trully think there is some correlation between sinusitis and MS. I remember posting this exact question months age when I had my MRI, Lestoby. I too was told that I have sinusitis and the radiologist asked me if I get headaches alot. I don't, but it's strange that so many people have sinusitis and MS.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
    lestoby
    Inactive
    (female)

lestoby HB User

Hmmm.... not sure about the correlation with MS. Mine is probably due to the fact that I smoke.

I used to get sinus infections more in the winter time and I would be in absolute misery with pain in my face (cheek sinuses?) and thick mucous discharge.

However, I had my MRI done in August and had none of the symptoms described above, yet the MRI showed mild sinusitis.

I never felt like I had sinusitis at the time I had my attack (August).

During my long journey from doctor to doctor, I went to an ENT in November he gave me an ENT CAT scan (different than a brain CAT) and he put me on steroids for 5 days. I couldn't tell you if it cleared up or not, because I never felt like I had any sinus symptoms.

I think sinusitis might be related to being indoors a lot during the winter months in colder climates. I only say this because I live in San Diego, where I can keep my doors and windows open most days 9 months out of the year and I don't have to run the heater a lot. Seems like I used to get my sinusitis problems only in the winter months. But, who knows now, since my sinusitis was dx in the month of August.

Since, I am not showing any symptoms of sinusitis, I'm not going to worry about it too much. It's all of these other myriad of symptoms that bother the heck out of me!

Old 04-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
    beachlover247
    (female)

beachlover247 HB User

Thanks for all of your feedback....who knows what causes what????? It's all such a mystery. I just know my sinus and allergies have never been as bad as they have lately. I live in north texas and according to the docs we're in a low spot in which we catch all the surrounding pollution from dallas/ft.worth and it just sits over us, there is no airstream to carry it away. Oh, well, just another battle. Thanks for your replies. Am looking forward to a cruise in late May....first trip in a long time. Wish me luck. I'm hoping to stay well enough to be able to enjoy it and keep up with the family.
    Live, love, and laugh often.......Sue

Old 04-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
    Keeta
    (female)

Keeta HB User

I just recently got the results of my MRI and indeed they reported to me that I had sinusitis. Unfortunately this develpoed into an ear infection also. Currently I am on anti-biotics and antihistimines.

Last edited by Keeta; 04-02-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
    Kymtnms
    (female)

Kymtnms HB User

Just got my results back from 3rd MRI in the past 1 1/2 years. No lesions but sinusitis once again. The second MRI was done without contrast so the GP had to reorder it. In the meantime, was treated for severe sinusitis then had the MRI done with contrast. Sinusitis is still there so the GP says she will have to treat me for the next 3 months. More antihistimines. She looked at the report from the 1st MRI (had another doctor at that time) and said I had it then too. She said that once they get that cleared up all my bad headaches will go away. I explained that bad headaches weren't one of my many, many symptoms but since that's the only thing she sees she wants to worry about that.

Closed Thread