It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Does anyone else feel depressed from sinus allergies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
    king1961
    (male)

king1961 HB User
    Talking Does anyone else feel depressed from sinus allergies

I have some type of sinus allergy which puts me in such a fog first my head hurts so bad I almost cant function and drainage to my stomach gives me a really nasty feeling in my belly. I get in such a fog and confused state that I feel anxious and depressed. I really thought I was loosing it until my family doc said he had similar feelings. does anyone else feel this way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
    misguideddream
    (female)

misguideddream HB User
    Re: Does anyone else feel depressed from sinus allergies

I think its normal to feel a bit down or depressed about allergies. When you're constantly feeling icky and have no control over it, it can wear on ya.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by misguideddream; 04-26-2006 at 05:14 AM.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
    Yikes777
    (male)

Yikes777 HB User

Certainly!

When you're battling constant inflamation it is very common to develop some depression and anxiety. I was told that by a Doctor last year as well. It is also listed as one of the symptoms on various websites.

Bottom line, you're normal! As soon as I heard that news my depression and anxiety started to go away.

Have a great day!

Jack

Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
    realtydog
    (female)

realtydog HB User

I feel ya!!!!!!!!! plugged up, dizzy, some flu like symptoms---this sucks---if I allow myself to sit and think about it it is even worse----helps when I try to stay busy----anxiety makes mine worse also----good help is on the way with the biotech's research---still some years before it would come to market---but there is hope

Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi King,

Depression related to allergies goes waaaay beyond feeling down 'cause you're stuffy & in pain.

When a person suffers from allergies, the mast cells in the body dump histamine in a confused attempt to kill the invader. Histamine can cross over into the brain, in excess, where it effectively binds up various dopamine & serotonin receptors. People can even become psychotic when histamine levels become high enough in the brain. Doesn't happen to the vast majority of us, we just feel like we have ADD & depression. And we do.

The thyroid gland is replete with mast cells, as well. When allergies strike, and the mast cells in unison dump histamine, thyroid hormone goes too. Thyroid hormone is like the "master conductor" of neurotransmitters & hormones in the body. So allergies also contribute to brain fog via the thyroid glitchy route.

Things that can help the depression & general yukkiness:
    1) Get tested to find out what your specific allergy triggers are. Avoid them as much as possible. If inhalant allergies are to blame, get a HEPA filter for your bedroom/office (about $100) to make a health-haven for yourself.

2) Be alert to the fact that sinus allergy can predispose you to sinus infection, and that the two can co-exist, but sinus infection often needs fairly aggressive treatment.

3) Steaming is a time-honored way to thin sinus secretions, improve drainage, reduce chance of infection. Some people prefer washing the sinuses with a Neti pot. That's a good idea if pollen is your problem. Do it after you've been outdoors.

4) Some research suggests that taking a probiotic (or eating yogurt w/active cultures) can be helpful for allergies.

Best wishes.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by king1961
    I have some type of sinus allergy which puts me in such a fog first my head hurts so bad I almost cant function and drainage to my stomach gives me a really nasty feeling in my belly. I get in such a fog and confused state that I feel anxious and depressed. I really thought I was loosing it until my family doc said he had similar feelings. does anyone else feel this way.
    hi i have severe allergies as well as chronic infections, have had surgery, allergy shot treatments ect... the fog and depressed feelings i also have, i think theres a link.

Closed Thread