It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Acid reflux + sinus trouble

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User
    Acid reflux + sinus trouble

I seem to remember hearing something about how acid reflux can cause sinus trouble because the "fumes" from your stomach can get up there. One of my doctors (retired now) thought that might be going on with me, but it turned out to be something else. Now my roommate is having sinus trouble and her ENT thinks it's acid fdeflux even though she has no stomach symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this or read up on it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User
    Re: Acid reflux + sinus trouble

I haven't heard about the "fumes" part, but that's possible. I do know that many people get reflux at night and don't realize it (since they sleep through it). If you are laying flat and get the reflux, the acid can get far enough up to affect the sinuses.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

That's a thought - she could be sleeping through it.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I believe this to be true. When I lay down at night I get this burning sensation in my nose that seems to come from my stomach. (I do suffer from acid reflux REALLY bad). I went to my dr. last week and he looked in my mouth and nose and said both were bright red.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hi, I'm pretty new to these boards generally, and DD I've only lurked occasionally.

It sounds like you could be dealing with Larygopharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPRD, or LPR). Go over to the GERD board, we talk about it more there.

Basically, it's GERD that reaches up to the larynx area and beyond. I think I have it, though I'm not sure yet (this whole episode I'm having with alleged GERD is new to me). I have "sinus" trouble all the time now. I've had ticklish throat/desire to cough (dry), and I frequently have "post-nasal drip", and acidic sting-y scratchy throat, warm throat, sore throat, etc.

In my case, though, I hesitate because my whole life has been sinus trouble - too much congestion, sinusitis, allergies (I get it from my dad). And I'm not taking decongestants as I used to a year ago - every day! I finally tried to stop constantly taking them. So, I'm not sure. I may be simply suffering from my typical sinus issues on top of irritation caused by GERD/ibuprofen intake.

From what I've read, it seems LPR affects really only the throat region, not the esophagus (not that you can't have both at once). It also seems to be better at night, going to sleep - contrary to just GERD. (Definitely true for me - I feel better lying down and can sleep all night, so far. It's daytime where the burping and hiccuping takes over.)

Go over to the GERD board and check out all the stuff about LPR.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

yeah, I have GERD and it effects both.. I get the heartburn and then it also sometimes gets far enough up and my throat and sinuses get irritated. The best bet is to sleep elevated. I have a wedge pillow that I use since I can't sleep flat.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakkochic17
    yeah, I have GERD and it effects both.. I get the heartburn and then it also sometimes gets far enough up and my throat and sinuses get irritated. The best bet is to sleep elevated. I have a wedge pillow that I use since I can't sleep flat.
    Heh - my roommate was doing that and it did help her sinuses - but her chiropractor read her the riot act about it!

OK, I'll ask further questions on the GERD board. Thanks, everyone.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
    ttc1asap
    Inactive
    (female)

ttc1asap HB User

I have the same problem. I think my acid reflux may have to do with my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. My throat is always sore (esp upper palate), dry, hoarse, raw...My sinuses hurt and I always have postnasal drip. Sometimes (TMI) it's so thick I can't breathe. My nose is always stuffy and I wake up with a stuffy nose. I read that acid reflux can affect the sinuses.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    Heh - my roommate was doing that and it did help her sinuses - but her chiropractor read her the riot act about it!

OK, I'll ask further questions on the GERD board. Thanks, everyone.

Actually the recommendation is to raise the BED by about 6". Wedge pillows are not recommended for GERD/LPR, because they can squish the abdomen together, putting upward pressure on the stomach and thus, increasing the chance of refluxing into the esophagus. So, you're supposed to stay flat.

The ideal to me would be a giant bed-sized wedge cushion (so the whole bed length is covered and you're still flat) for my side of the bed, which I could roll up/deflate easily to carry on travel! (It also would mean less unnatural stress in the bed frame - and the matress sliding off!)

Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
    EseStud
    (male)

EseStud HB User

I've occasionally had that...like when you try to drink water and then sneeze or cough, it goes up in your sinus and makes it feel like something's stuck there which you can't get out, it's really irritating!

Oh yeah btw, are you still having trouble not being taken seriously for how old you look?

Closed Thread