It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• chronic hives/sinusitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
    genster

genster HB User
    chronic hives/sinusitis

Hello world. I have posted here before, but am hoping for new insights.
    Anyone have any suggestions regarding chronic conditions such as sinusitis, nasal polyps, chronic hives, delayed pressure urticaria, and various other urticarias. I have been to dermatologists, I have been to allergists, had allergy tests (mold response only) and been to an ENT. Had sinus surgery 3 times, have been the prednisone route (anyone on it make sure to take clacium & vitamin D suppliments, I now have an osteopenic spine thanks to steriods), was on hydroxizine, reactine, am now on panectyl, reatine and doxepin (not sure of spelling there). Have asked the ENT about nasal rinsing, he doesn't think it would help, as problem is due to physical malformations in the sinus (polyps & cysts). Have been sent to another doctor, waiting for the appointment. Sister has same sinus trouble, does rinse, hasn't had any relief.
    Saw post re: sulfasalizine, I can't take any non-steriodal anti-inflammatories that I know of, so can I take this, I wonder? (Asthma, sinus trouble and asa allergy = something or other triad...can't recall name)
    So, I am finding the whole thing very depressing now. Nothing seems to help, and if one more person says "it must be something you are allergic to/ there must be a cure for that" I may have to kill them.
    Just thought someone might have some new suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: chronic hives/sinusitis

Where do you live? Is mold prevelant there? Do you think there might be some in your home? Do you feel better in certain places than others? Mold allergies are horrible. I never felt so good as when I left my older house in South Carolina. We had no visible signs of mold, but I know it was there. I would always feel better when I went to visit my friend in her newly constructed home.

The mold response might also be a signal of a chronic fungal sinus infection. Has that been pursued by any of your doctors?

How were you allergy tested? How long were you off antihistimines prior to the tests?

Look for my post on glutathione. I added this amino acid to my nasal irrigation and it helped me tremoundously. The research on it is very facinating. The ENT might be right, the irrigations won't help the polyps, but it will at least help get rid of the mucus causing the sinusitis.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
    genster

genster HB User

Hi Sneezydiva
    No, there is no chance of mold in my house, it is very dry and well aerated. I live on th eatlantic coast, so there is lots of opportunity for mold in the enviroment, due to the dampness. I will check the info you suggest.
    I have had every kind of allergy test, several times. The last was the skin test, which showed the mold allergy. The allergist did that one, not just a GP. I know that those tests are not necessarily reliable, but I also know that mold sensitivity makes sense, as I am alalergic to penicillin.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hives/urticaria can be of autoimmune origin & are fairly common in individuals with thyroid antibodies. If you have not had a complete thyroid workup (incl free T3, free T4, and 3 types of thyroid antibodies), consider requesting that it be run. The majority of MDs in the USA run only a TSH screening test which will not give you the info you need.

Thyroid disorders can predispose one to sinusitis, and there are many meds that mess w/thyroid function.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread