It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinusitis question.Please please help me!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
    Deanne2005
    (female)

Deanne2005 HB User
    Angry Sinusitis question.Please please help me!

I was treated for a sinus infection a few weeks back and it's come back...with a vengeance. I go through two boxes of kleenex a day, my nasal discharge varies in color and I've been a coughing a lot and with spasms where I almost vomit, the throat closes, I don't throw up, and the throat opens again. My senses of smell and taste are gone. I've never had it like this before. I've blown my nose and coughed so much my back is extremely sore and my ribs in front, it hurts my back muscles when I try to take a deep breath and even blowing my nose hurts the muscles now. I'm using a heating pad and sometiems A-535. I have no chest pain at all though which surprises me with all the coughing I'm doing.

I went back to my Dr. and she said perhaps the anitbiotics she gave me the first time weren't strong enough or not for a long enough duration so I'm back on them for 14 days this time instead of 7. She listened to my lungs to make sure there is nothing there, and she said my lungs are clear. I asked where all this mucous is coming from that I'm spitting up, she said it's due to post-nasal drip from my sinuses and is NOT coming from my lungs? Does this make sense to any of you? Can post-nasal drip cause that much mucous to be coughed up??.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
    Deanne2005
    (female)

Deanne2005 HB User
    Question Re: Sinusitis question.Please please help me!

There's been 18 views to my questions but no answers? Please can anyone answer my question?

Much appreciated if you could.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
    Kimlynn04
    (female)

Kimlynn04 HB User
    Re: Sinusitis question.Please please help me!

I don't have that much information to offer but it does make sense that the post-nasal drip is causing you so much grief. I don't mean to be gross, but will do my best to be polite. When the **** drips down the back of your throat, that is going to cause you to cough. If you are producing just a lot of extra junk, then that's all the more coughing and blowing your nose you'll be doing. Make sure you complete you prescription, even if you start to feel better. I hope you do start feeling better soon, but if you havn't finished your antibiotic, the infection may still be there, then you will be back at square one, and who wants to be that misserable forever? And it's a good thing that your chest doesn't hurt. That also backs up the theory that your lungs are relatively clear. Chest congestion is usually something different than a sinus infection, even though they can seem to usually come at the same time.

I hope this helps you at least a litte, and I really hope you start to feel better soon. I am familiar with how misserable that can be. ((hugs))

Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
    Deanne2005
    (female)

Deanne2005 HB User

Hi Kimlyn, Your reply does help a lot! Thanks!

And thanks for the hugs too

Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
    Kimlynn04
    (female)

Kimlynn04 HB User

Good! Glad to hear it. Hope you start to feel better soon. Take care.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
    ScarlettA
    (female)

ScarlettA HB User

Hi Deanne - I realize it's been awhile since you posted, so I hope you will eventually see my message. Sounds like EXACTLY what has been plaguing me for the past three weeks. I did have a fever at the beginning, and then went into throat and constant nose blowing, cough, sneezing, and felt like a big glob of yucky stuff was lodged in my throat all the time! I couldn't cough it up and I couldn't swallow it. I was choking just like you said - trying to get it
    up. finally went back to the doc and she put me on an antibiotic which I have been faithful to take.

I started feeling better after about a week, and then a heat wave set in, which means spending lots of time in air conditioned rooms. Last night we went to a friends for dinner, and it was like a deep freeze in their house! The AC was actually blowing out the vents and into my face. I was only wearing a thin blouse and pants and a pair of sandals. I was truly COLD, and could hardly wait to get out of there and come home.
    Sure enough - this morning I woke up and I'm coughing, and the wad of stuff is in my throat again, and I feel exhausted and sick of this whole thing. What a way to spend the summer! I can't keep taking antibiotics, and I can't stay out of air conditioned buildings. Does this ever just fade away, or do i have to keep going back to the doctor for help!

If you see this message be sure to let me know how you're doing?

Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
    Deanne2005
    (female)

Deanne2005 HB User

Hi Scarlett,

Sorry to hear your're feeling so crummy. The good news is, I doubt the air conditioning made you sick again, most probably your cold/flu isn't completely gone. What did your doctor say was wrong for him/her to give you antibiotics? Do you have bronchitis or a sinus infection? Don't forget to use all the antibitoics even if you feel better....very important. The cough is the worst isn't it??!! Is your cough coming from your lungs? Mine wasn't thankfully so my chest never hurt, mine was caused by post-nasal drip from the sinus infection, but my back and ribs hurt awful. Let me know how you get on.

I'm feeling better, my sinus/throat infection is gone...finally! I took my antibiotics for the whole two weeks faithfully.The only thing I'm still having a problem with is some sore muscles from all the coughing I did. Pain in the left flank and around to the front ribs still comes and goes if I over exert those muscles, like walking too much or bending, lifting etc. And the back muscles near my shoulder blades still hurt when I sneeze or breathe deep or when I cough. Which is weird as I haven't had that horrible violent cough in a week now, but the muscles are still so sore. I guess it takes a while for them to heal. Each day they are a little bit better though.

Closed Thread