It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
    CruiseMomInSC
    Veteran
    (female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User
    Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

I am writing to find out more about sinus surgery. Long story made short is.....

My babysitter's daughter is 21 years old. She still lives at home, doesn't work and doesnt' want to go to college. She had the sinus surgery on 7/26/06. It was outpatient surgery and she came home within 4 hours. Since that date, she has been telling her mom that she's dizzy, and can't do anything. She has also told her mom that she can't eat and has fallen down many times and hit her face. Her mother closed their in-home daycare, which I totally understand! Her daughter is telling her mom that she's not keeping fluids or ANYTHING down. She goes to the doctor every single day.

Is it common to have this long of a recovery from this surgery? The mom sends out a weekly schedule for the parents and it's got the daughter "out of commission" so to speak even next week (2 weeks post surgery).

Does it truly take this long?

This surgery was scheduled 2 weeks out and she is telling everyone that she talks to that it was "last minute, emergency surgery." ?????? This girl has been known to "milk" illnesses, and exaggerate things. I want to believe that she's really not well, and I wish her well......but I don't know what to believe. The mom re-opened the daycare this past Wednesday (1 week post surgery) and has since told us every single day "we just need to make it through the night....she's getting worse all the time." They've even told us that the doctor might put her back in the hospital.

I do NOT mean to come across as cold or harsh, but there's a lot of history that I can't even go into, but this "milking" is very common with her.

Ultimately.....my question is........is this possible she's really having that much trouble and the doctor's just tell her "go back home." Or does it sound like she's milking this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
    Kristin777

Kristin777 HB User
    Re: Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

I had sinus surgery on the 26th as well, and by last Tuesday I was feeling much better. I still can't do much physically because of the extent of the surgery, but yesterday (the 5th) I went walking all downtown with a couple of my girlfriends, and today I went shopping for a Bridal shower at the mall.
    I still have plenty of pain, don't get me wrong. But the pain is handled in the daytime by two Extra-Strength Tylenol, and a shot of Vicodin before bed.
    I haven't had any dizzyness (except from the painkillers...lol) and food stayed down from day one. (and I have a sensitive stomach) Plus I've had to keep up on a French course I'm taking as extra-credit summerschool.

If she is having this many complications it would be a sign of infection (most likely) and the Doctors would be worried, and taking steps to correct it quickly.

I can't say "no, of course she's lying" but it sounds fishy.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Smile Re: Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

Hello,
    My husband, sister-in-law, son, brother, mother, and I have all had sinus surgery, plus a few procedures. I am also due to have a T&A, full sinus window surgery, and UPPP in September. As far as the young women in question goes... each person reacts to surgery differently.

However here are some of my families experiences on the matter:
    My sister-in-law had her surgery (bilateral turboplasty, cyst removal, deviated septum correction, single sinus window insertion) while a 2nd year med. student. She didn't miss a beat... her productivity and efficiency actually doubled.

My husband just had some pollumps (SP) removed and the bilateral turboplasty done... he whined a good bit, but was only down for the weekend. On the 4th day he was out the door working a normal 40 hr week.

I just had all of my turbonids reduced about 2 yrs ago. At the age of 29, while I was working on a second MS degree and my PhD. I was able to continue activity as needed same day. It hurt, but tylenol and saline spray was all I needed. I was able to continue with my teaching and class duties as well as continue to serve as a full time mom to a very active 2 yr old by dinner time, the same day I had surgery.

My son has had (1) adeniodectomy/ear tubes followed by (2) tonsilectomy. The first surgery was only bad when my son came out from under anesthesia. He was a trooper and only complained with the ear drops... but he had a rip roaring ear infection. Keeping him calm with mild activity was the main complication here. The second surgery came about because of chronic sinus infections and severely enlarged tonsils, he bounced back same day... and only complained when the scabs began to peel off between days 7-10. The worst part for us again was keeping a 3.5 yr old calm, rested, and following the recommended inactivity regime for 10 days.

If the young woman in question was having complications due to infection... she should be on a powerful antibiotic. If she is not on an antibiotic, then there are a few other things that could be going on... but should clear up by day 7.. 10 at the latest. Increased air flow through the newly openned sinuses can cause increased mucus production (should be back to normal with in 2 weeks)... if saline solution rinses are not being preformed regularly, sinus pressure can be painful and cause headaches. Also, if the sinus cavities are allowed to dry out they can crack.. bleed.. and be otherwise painful (once again use the recommended saline spray to alleviate dryness). Dizziness is hard to diagnose many things can cause it; however, I would be highly suspect that it is still a result of the sinus surgery... malnurished, pregnant, migraines, low blood sugar... the list goes on for factors causing sudden fainting and dizziness.

Best wishes to you and your friend.
    MG

Old 08-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Smile Re: Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

Hello,
    My husband, sister-in-law, son, brother, mother, and I have all had sinus surgery, plus a few procedures. I am also due to have a T&A, full sinus window surgery, and UPPP in September. As far as the young women in question goes... each person reacts to surgery differently.

However here are some of my families experiences on the matter:
    My sister-in-law had her surgery (bilateral turboplasty, cyst removal, deviated septum correction, single sinus window insertion) while a 2nd year med. student. She didn't miss a beat... her productivity and efficiency actually doubled.

My husband just had some pollumps (SP) removed and the bilateral turboplasty done... he whined a good bit, but was only down for the weekend. On the 4th day he was out the door working a normal 40 hr week.

I just had all of my turbonids reduced about 2 yrs ago. At the age of 29, while I was working on a second MS degree and my PhD. I was able to continue activity as needed same day. It hurt, but tylenol and saline spray was all I needed. I was able to continue with my teaching and class duties as well as continue to serve as a full time mom to a very active 2 yr old by dinner time, the same day I had surgery.

My son has had (1) adeniodectomy/ear tubes followed by (2) tonsilectomy. The first surgery was only bad when my son came out from under anesthesia. He was a trooper and only complained with the ear drops... but he had a rip roaring ear infection. Keeping him calm with mild activity was the main complication here. The second surgery came about because of chronic sinus infections and severely enlarged tonsils, he bounced back same day... and only complained when the scabs began to peel off between days 7-10. The worst part for us again was keeping a 3.5 yr old calm, rested, and following the recommended inactivity regime for 10 days.

If the young woman in question was having complications due to infection... she should be on a powerful antibiotic. If she is not on an antibiotic, then there are a few other things that could be going on... but should clear up by day 7.. 10 at the latest. Increased air flow through the newly openned sinuses can cause increased mucus production (should be back to normal with in 2 weeks)... if saline solution rinses are not being preformed regularly, sinus pressure can be painful and cause headaches. Also, if the sinus cavities are allowed to dry out they can crack.. bleed.. and be otherwise painful (once again use the recommended saline spray to alleviate dryness). Dizziness is hard to diagnose many things can cause it; however, I would be highly suspect that it is still a result of the sinus surgery... malnurished, pregnant, migraines, low blood sugar... the list goes on for factors causing sudden fainting and dizziness.

Best wishes to you and your friend.
    MG

Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
    CruiseMomInSC
    Veteran
    (female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User

Thanks for your input. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt with things. I truly do hope she feels better soon. We just find it odd that when her mom's not around she was doing all sorts of things but then when her mom was there she acted like she was very sick and not doing well at all.

She's been prone to "milk" things for attention, but I do truly hope that if she's sick she can get better soon.

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
    hannahph
    (female)

hannahph HB User

My daughter has sinus surgery in February(functional endoscopic sinus surgery) she is seven years old. They expected to keep her overnight but did so well she was home the same night and running around the next day. I know kids are a lot more resiliant than adults but this girls symptoms seem a little excessive to me. There was a rare complication explained to me that it is possible to nick the spinal column and to leak spinal fluid. I believe if that were the case with this girl the Dr would have picked up it by now. Something smells fishy to me.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
    CruiseMomInSC
    Veteran
    (female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User

Yeah, that's what we were thinking. It's been 3 weeks and 1 day now and she still keeps falling down everyday and hurting herself. She's also still very dizzy and is not able to do anything. Her mom has the in home daycare and has to keep closing.

We're honestly wondering if she's truly SICK and NOT WELL or is this more along the lines of seeking attention?

I hate to think the worst, but it's seeming that way.

Thanks for your input!

Closed Thread