It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
    Serendipity304
    (female)

Serendipity304 HB User
    Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia

Hello,
    I went to the doctor today to turn in my event monitor. Really didn't have any significant symtoms, but would at least press record at the slightest thing...just to be able to submit some recordings.
    It was a new doc...I have seen several over the past 6 years and the one I really liked left, so I got turfed to this new guy who took her place. I was joking around with him that I was there for him to tell me what is wrong. I've had doctors say SVT, others say not SVT, others agree that it's not SVT, but don't know what it is so they call it SVT.
    This new doc is an EP (I also saw an EP in 2001: He said, "We may never find out what is wrong with you."). I told him all the things that they have thought, even some that he has never heard of, and he told me that I have Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. From my event monitor strips, even though I wasn't having any major symtpoms, my heart rate was still 110-120--I'm not sure what sort of activity I was doing at the time, but the majority of my recordings I was not doing anything remotely strenuous, and several were done when I was just sitting.
    Just curious about info about IST. This new EP is a young guy, and seemed to know his stuff. Told me that he could do an EP study, but he felt I would have a 50% chance of it being a failure and then may need a pacemaker. Out of all the research that I have done myself on the internet, I have never recalled IST, but I did look it up in some EP journals today, and my symptoms seem to correlate.
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
    mnmnmnmn
    Inactive
    (female)

mnmnmnmn HB User
    Talking Re: Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia

Serendipity, welcome to my world!!! You didnt seem to have a question about inappropriate sinus tachy so I thought i would just reply and tell ya my experience [email]REMOVED[/email].. First of all, inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST) is quite common. If you google inappropriate sinus tach you will find an abundance of information on it. I am [email]REMOVED[/email]. currently struggling with IST, among a few others. Believe me I have researched the hell out of this problem as well as treatments, even posted a few things on here. Through my nursing experience, research, and personal experience this is what i have learned. First, IST is benign. It wont kill ya, it will likely bother the heck out of ya, but there are many treatments for it. If you are not symptomatic with it, then likely a beta blocker such as metoprolol or sotalol may help slow your rate down a bit, but otherwise there really isnt any need to do anything with it. If you become symptomatic with it (short of breath, dizziness, etc) then I would recomment that you push to be treated. I currently have undergone a battery of tests for this and have only found two to be helpful. One is a called a tilt table test, where they lay you flat and then stand ya up and watch your blood pressure and heart rate closely. This test can determine if you have essentially a neurological response or what they call autonomic dysfunction. If this test is possible, then trust me it will save you a lot of other unnecessary tests. Second test is the EP study. While it is a procedure it can make sure that you dont have something else causing your tachycardia (some of which is extremely hard to differentiate on a holter). They pushed me to wait and continued to make me do other tests for over a year that were unnecessary, whereas if they would have done the EP upfront they would have gotten their answer right away. However, if you arent largely disturbed by this tachycardia, i would honestly recomment you just hang with it and hope it goes away (yes it actually can just disappear after a couple years). The only ultimate cure for IST if it doesn't disappear is to knock the node out that initiates your beats and then a pacemaker to make new beats. I have learned that with this problem you just have to be patient and if needed try different drugs, if one doesnt work, try something else.[email]REMOVED[/email].Hope this helps ya. [email]REMOVED[/email].

Last edited by moderator2; 09-06-2006 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
    Serendipity304
    (female)

Serendipity304 HB User
    Re: Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia

Thanks for the info! One thing the doc mentioned, and I also found on another website, or two, was that it seems to be people who work in healthcare who have IST. Funny, but makes sense. [ REMOVED ]
    I have always been pretty aware of the tachycardia.
    I've been on metoprolol for about 14 months. It works ok...propranalol worked the best out of all the meds I've tried, but unfortunately I have a couple severe food allergies and it has a potentially deadly drug interaction with the epi-pen...never had to use the epi-pen, but I did have a tilt table test done about 5 years ago, and the isoproternolol (not spelled right!) wasn't so fun and they said that it would be a similar feeling with the epinepherine. YUK! I went off the metoprolol about 2 weeks ago for the event monitor...I "craved" it so much, because I knew that it would help a little bit. But, he's gonna keep me on it for now as I've tried several others. What I wouldn't give to be able to take propranalol...either way I'm not supposed to even take beta-blockers because of my severe allergy and I also get allergy injections (finally get to stop those in December!).

Last edited by moderator2; 09-06-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Closed Thread