It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinusitis ?? Please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
    misssinful
    (female)

misssinful HB User
    Sinusitis ?? Please help

Hi - I am 23 im going on holiday in a few days but im worried about this

i had a bad cold last week lasting 3 bad days it seemed to clear up pretty quick after that - now I have a runny nose a bit of a cough and the strange thing is my upper right teeth 2 or 3 back from the front are slightly sensitive when I walk or bend my head - they aren't sensitive to hot or cold drinks or anything - (im more worried about having to go to the dentist im afraid of them ) does that sound like a sinus infection brought on by the cold??

Im going away soon and I am a real worrier so any comments would be greatly appreciated :-(

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Sinusitis ?? Please help

Misssinful,

Alright here is my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I am a sufferer of really bad chronic sinusitus. As a result I get impacted sinus infection 4-6 times a year rounding out my total to about 9 sinus infections a year. When I have an impacted sinus infections these are my symptoms:

1) Bad sinus pressure above the eyes, at the bridge of my nose, and just below my bottom eye ridge.

2) Run a low grade temperature... some times not detectable. Text book definition is a fever between 99.4-100.7 for 7 - 10 days.

3) An impacted sinus infection results in my lower frontal sinuses filling up and lymph nodes swelling to such a point that pressure is placed on some nerves that result in my jaw and teeth feeling like they have been knocked loose. With this comes teeth sensitivity to cold and hot foods and fluids.

4) Chronic cough as well as dragging out the occasional multicolored chunks anything from solid white, yellow, green, and ocassional blood laced ones.

5) Sore throat due to excess drainage.

6) Sensitivity to pressure and temperature changes.

If you have a combinations of these...especially the sinus pressure headaches, you should go to your general practitioner versus a dentist.

If you only have sensitive teeth... try Sensodyn or another type of sensitive teeth toothpaste. If a couple of weeks of the new toothpaste does not produce relief then you probably should see your dentist.

Wishing you the Best,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-11-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
    Mike137100
    (male)

Mike137100 HB User

What is the difference between an impacted sinus infection and a regular sinus infection??

Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Mike137100,
    Alright, an impacted sinus infection occures when you can not drain the infected mucus out of your head... it just multiples and pacts in tighter; causing more and more pain and wearing away at your sinus cavities. Impacted sinus infections do not drain out til enough antibiotics filter through your system and are applied to the mucus to break it down and allow it to drain.

I am due to have endioscopic window insertion because my sinus cavities have drainage passages, which are just too small. I will be getting a T&A as well due to problematic tonsils.

Regular sinus infection... just infected mucus in sinus, but still able to drain out down the back of your throat. Many of the symptoms are the same... but they intensify as time goes by with an impacted sinus infection.

Sincerely, MG

Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
    Mike137100
    (male)

Mike137100 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I get constant sinus infections and I really don't drain anything out. Only when it is really bad I get the thick post nasal drip. When I was told to take Mucinex, the first few days not to be gross but I had a few blood laced dried pieces of mucus come out. I wonder if I also have an impacted infection that just doesn't want to clear up.

I went to a ENT and he said my sinuses looked fine when he looked up my nose. He just said I have a deviated septum. He didn't order a CT or Xray. He gave me Nasonex. Well I tried Nasonex it made me very nauseous so much so that I ended up at the ER because of the pressure in my head which triggered a panic attack!!! They took blood and found I did have an infection going on. They put me on 10 days of Amoxicillin. It did help clear up the lightheadness and ear popping but that has been a month ago and I am starting to feel it again. It is very frustrating!!

Last edited by Mike137100; 09-12-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mike137100,

Amoxicillen is not the optimum antibiotic to fight a sinus infection, and you are probably right about having a rip roaring sinus infection. Cephallasporins like Ceftin, Cefzil, and Keflex tend to allow for better resolution of infected sinuses. A dieviated septom can cause chronic sinus infections because it restrict the ability for your sinuses to drain. Have you taken decongestants on a routine daily basis for a while? If not youshould try it, but I suspect you have a flare up of your previous infection.

Sinus infections are dark cavity infections, thus blood flow to the region is low, and it takes longer doses of antibiotics to clear them up. Ten days was enough to get in your system, break up some of the infected muck and allow it to drop down the back of your throat. Thus you now probably have a cillen resitant infections in your head. Really bad sius infections can take between a 21 and 60 day treatment regime of antibiotics to fix.

I am on my second month of antibiotics in a row right now and still running fevers, having headaches, and only minimally draining my infected muck. I can not wait for them to drill holes in my head come October 17th, I can imagine the relief.

Good luck with your sinus problem,
    MG

Old 09-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
    Mike137100
    (male)

Mike137100 HB User

Thanks MG,

I am going to make another appt. with another ENT this week. I keep getting these bouts of pressure on my face and head. Today it is rainy here and I am suffering. When it is cloudy or rainy here I feel like I have a elephant sitting on my face. This problem has made my Anxiety go way up, this also activates my acid reflux. It is very annoying. Hopefully this new doc will give me a super antibiotic and at least order a CT.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:04 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mike137100,
    "I am going to make another appt. with another ENT this week."
    Always good to get a second opinion. Find the ENT most highly recommended for children. Those that work on children (in my opinion) tend to be better and more upto date with their techniques.

"I keep getting these bouts of pressure on my face and head. Today it is rainy here and I am suffering. When it is cloudy or rainy here I feel like I have a elephant sitting on my face."
    Ahhh... standard definition of full sinuses... as pressure and temperature change about you the mucus in your head swells and compresses accordingly. Rainy days tend to correspond to lower ambient pressures, which means the gunk in your head expands and wants out...

"This problem has made my Anxiety go way up, this also activates my acid reflux."
    Very common. Acid reflux is a common side effect of bad sinus drainage. You are dropping more mucus into your stomach... stomach acid digestion process kicks in, producing more acid. However mucus does not interact with the acid in any significant way.... meaning increased acid levels in stomach = increased heartburn and reflux. Try and eat some thing round the clock... not large amounts... just something to help nuetralize the acid... bread, milk, cheese...

"It is very annoying. Hopefully this new doc will give me a super antibiotic and at least order a CT."
    I can sympathize. Good luck and make sure you let them know how long this has been going on. If he only gives you two weeks of Ceftin, Cephzil, Doxycycline, or Avelox. Well keep notes on your progress... if you are getting better, but still experiencing sinus pressure and pain at about day ten. Call the doctor nurse, tell him/her that you are getting better slowy and ask for a refill... they will normally give you another 14 days as a result.

Doctors are not out to make us feel unwell; however, they are not YOU and can not tell how you will respond. Many prefer a conservative approach until they can determine how your body reacts and establish a patient history.

Good luck and Best wishes on getting rid of that sinus infection.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-15-2006 at 06:05 AM.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
    kayla1201
    (female)

kayla1201 HB User
    Wink Re: Sinusitis ?? Please help

I too am the sinus queen. I had my first sinus surgery in 1995 and had 2 more done last fall (05). The last 2 times they used this guided imagery system. It turned out that all of my sinus cavaties were adhesed together with polyps. They had to go back in a month later because there was a spot he couldn't get due to swelling during the last surgery. I get severe headaches which put me in the hospital every other month for a few days to control the pain.
    I have since moved from GA to FL and the symptoms are improving a little. The headaches aren't as severe. However, my new ENT says that I have severe sphenoid sinus disease. This was the only cavity that has not been worked on.
    I am having what is hopefully my last surgery on Thursday (9/21/06). Wish me luck. I am nervous about this one because they are going to be close to my internal carotid artery.

This was my first time posting...sorry so long

Old 09-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Long?

Nah! I am queen of the long winded replies. Good luck on your sinus surgery.

I will be thinking of you.

Sincerely, MG

Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
    Mike137100
    (male)

Mike137100 HB User

Well had my CT of my sinuses. It came back negative for sinusitis. There was minimal mucous membrane thickening in the right maxillary and there was a retention cyst or poly on the front of the left maxillary. No fluid was seen. I don't have a follow up with the ENT until next month. Funny thing, I had the scan in the early morning and that afternoon it began to rain, of course I started to feel the pressure again on my face. I wonder if the scan results would have been different if I would have had it done while it was raining.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
    kayla1201
    (female)

kayla1201 HB User

Came through the surgery ok. I had it done yesterday and I think that was the hardest day. I can tell they had to scrape and drill in more places than originally though. I had to have packing in the left side, which was removed today
    The pain meds they gave me after the surgery didn't help at all. I got it changed today and I am feeling great now. The only discomfort is my neck being sore (I guess from having my head in a certain position for a while).
    Thanks for you support. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who has been through it all. My husband and my parents act like it was no big deal.

K

Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayla1201,

"Came through the surgery ok."

I am glad to hear it. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Mike137100,

Look into vasomotor rhinitus and allergic rhinitus, these cames sometimes band together and produce the same symptoms of chronic sinusitus. I have vasomotor rhinitus, allergic rhinitus, and chronic sinusitus... the doctors are finally going to rearrange my sinus to help... it has took about three years to arrange, but Oct 17 th is the day for me.

Best wishes sinus pain for whatever reason really makes life hard.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread