It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Septoplasty, turbinectomy, cartilage spreader graft, and endoscopic sinus surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
    james98105
    (male)

james98105 HB User
    Septoplasty, turbinectomy, cartilage spreader graft, and endoscopic sinus surgery

I am getting these 4 procedures done in two weeks. This seems like a lot and I am rather nervous, but I am desperate for relief. My septum is shaped like a W and my turbines are very enlarged. I also have a nasal valve collapse on my left side (this is why they are doing a cartilage graft) and my sinuses don't drain properly. I don't remember when I was able to breathe normally. I have had breathing problems for over a decade and have been on nasal steroids, Sudafed, antibiotics, you name it - for over 5 years - and I am ready for this.

Has anyone had all of these done at the same time? Is this really a lot of stuff to have done at once, or is this "business as usual" for ENTs and people suffering from breathing problems?

Last edited by james98105; 10-08-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User
    Re: Septoplasty, turbinectomy, cartilage spreader graft, and endoscopic sinus surgery

I'm having an anxiety attack just reading your post.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Septoplasty, turbinectomy, cartilage spreader graft, and endoscopic sinus surgery

james98105,

I am going to have a complete endoscopic sinus window insertion, tonsillectomy, and adnoidectomy on the 17th of this month.

My husband had a septpplasty and turbinectomy together... it took him taking it easy for 5 days to be up to normal operating condition. I had a complete turbinectomy and was only down the day of the surgery. I had headaches, had to be careful not to sneeze or more my head to quick... but it wasn't bad at all. Just follow their care instructions.

I can not tell you about the graft or the endoscopy yet... but I will get back to you on the endoscopy on the 17th or 18th.

Sincerely, MG

Old 10-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
    Izzybella
    Inactive
    (female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
    SpicyT9
    (male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by james98105
    I am getting these 4 procedures done in two weeks. This seems like a lot and I am rather nervous, but I am desperate for relief. My septum is shaped like a W and my turbines are very enlarged. I also have a nasal valve collapse on my left side (this is why they are doing a cartilage graft) and my sinuses don't drain properly. I don't remember when I was able to breathe normally. I have had breathing problems for over a decade and have been on nasal steroids, Sudafed, antibiotics, you name it - for over 5 years - and I am ready for this.

Has anyone had all of these done at the same time? Is this really a lot of stuff to have done at once, or is this "business as usual" for ENTs and people suffering from breathing problems?
    Please post afterwards and let us know how you doing ...

Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Better late than never.. I forgot to repost after my procedure.. was blinded by T&A pain.

After full sinus surgery. Windows punch and inserted in all sinus cavities maxillary, frontal ethnoid, and the very back ones.. whatever they are called... partial (front/maxillary) and complete (ethnoid and back sinuses) membrane scraping and removal from all sinus cavities, sinus passage openning.. and a few other things that I can not remember. Let us say I was roto-rootered up there and we cover it all.

Recovery.. a breeze. Other than not being able to pack my sinuses and having to make sure I didn't lean over or move about too quickly.. I have had much more painful sinus infections. No black eyes, even though the ENT told me to expect some. Really nasty sinus drainage and nose bleeds when I broke the movement restrictions.. but other than that it was negligible in comparison to my tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy recovery pain.

When I had recovered from my T&A, I had to fight nausea from drainage, and headaches due to my sinuses drying out and bleeding. Treatment? Tylenol, and saline nasal rinses every 2 hours while awake. If I would miss that 2 hour sinus irrigation window, i would know it... it would feel like a sudden onset of an aggressive sinus infection.. add saline and all was good again. Seven weeks post op? I am great and infection free. Hope the best for all others out there that might be considering these procedures.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 12-06-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Closed Thread