It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Tonsillectomy/Sinus Surgery Woes...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
    mr_pseudotonsil
    (male)

mr_pseudotonsil HB User
    Tonsillectomy/Sinus Surgery Woes...help

Hello,

I found this board and felt it would be a good place for me to unload my sorrows. I had tonsillectomy/sinus surgery(ethmoid and maxillary) this last Friday morning. I had anticipation before the surgery, most of my fear involved concerns about my recovery from the tonsillectomy. I had hyped myself up completely reading everything on the net I could.
    Well, the surgery was actually kind of exciting. I arrived early, was checked in and given an EKG. Then walked around the hospital with my wife a bit. Then I was hooked up to an IV and given some lecturing and various meds. Then I was walked over to OR 1 and greeted by a friendly surgeon, anesthesiologist, assistant, and nurse. They put something in my IV as we began chatting and I felt this tingle in my head. I was asking if it was normal when next thing I knew I was coming out of anesthesia. First sensations after not having drank any fluids since the night before and being on all the meds was that my mouth was like the Sahara. And there was some odd pains starting to kick in. The disorientation and nausea were the worst part of coming out, but didnt last too long and were pretty mild. The nurse gave me a percoset crushed up in some jello and shortly thereafter I went home.
    Ah...percoset. I was feeling actually euphoric and happy on the stuff. That lasted for two days until Sunday night when I called in concerning possible allergies. I was getting really itchy from the stuff and they said I should probably stop it(I'm still wondering if I should have) and switched me to vicodin.
    The vicodin hasn't been working quite as nicely as the Percoset, and the pain has been getting worse when it comes. I'll know I need to take more when all the sensation in my tonsils makes me cough, which causes more pain. Right now I'm trying to sit up in bed as much as possible, as lying flat causes some gunk or something to slide around and I cough. I have become really constipated from the pain meds(is this common?) and havent really pooped since last Thursday. I've taken Milk of Magnesia and done a couple disposible enemas which doesnt seem to do much. For the most part I just produce lots of gas. Of course, I've had very little real food, so the constipation isn't that bad. I do get a little heartburn reflux feeling though and wonder if stuff is backing up in me.
    I've taken some pictures of my tonsils and the white patches are coming along grandly, very white now and seemingly ripe(ready to slough off soon I hope). I have this odd feeling my throat is full of old scrambled eggs or something, and sometimes it feels like im going to produce a bunch of giant tonsilliths, although there are no tonsils or tonsiliths anymore. The scabbing is producing some metallic taste in my throat, and eating a cup of noodles today some movement back there created some odd mettalic taste and current sensations in my tongue.
    The sinus pain I guess is dwarfed by the tonsils but still there. When the pain meds wear off a little I feel it in my front teeth and in the face. Overall though I think they are doing great. There is likely some dried gunk that is trying to come down when I lie down. For the first few days I was wearinig a gaurd and mouth breating, now I'm breathing trough the nose.
    I don't really sleep that much or for long periods of time. I usually just find myself completely more or less zoning out for a while in a dreamless sleep. A cough wakes me up and I drink some more ice water(I'm sucking crushed ice and drinking water constantly)
    The feeling of gas/heartburn/constipation is tolerable but I feel the vicodin must be causing the problems. However, I've tried to wean myself off it to get the bowel motility back...and this is NOT an option now. Much better to have the pain releif. I've considered taking the percoset again even with the itching(one doc said if the vicodin caused itching just take some Benedryl with it) I'm not getting and read that itching is a side effect with these drugs. And I suppose some of it could be due to the Zithromax I'm taking. I'm considering this because I was SOOOO much happier with the Percoset and more positive about getting through this. Lately, with the awareness of the pain that the viocodin incompletely masks, I have gotten more depressed at times.
    I reached a low today when I read about bad pain lasting for 20 days in some people. My wife and doc remind me that these are extremes, and just to keep positive, but it can be tough. My whole world has become the little room I'm cooped up in, a bottle of vicodin, my little plastic cup of ice and water, constant peeing from all the water, being in pain spaced out and lonely, and a contant myriad of unpleasant new sensations from my healing tonils and sinuses. I desire more then anything to return to the world of the living, but know it's still a way off and having trouble keeping positive sometimes.
    Thanks for reading my gripes and allowing me to rant. I look forward to hearing from anyone else who has some encouraging words. I must note that I have chronic sinusisits for years. My tonsils have been swollen and inflamed for some time, and I was kind of walking around with a low-grade infection. I was producing at least 3-5 smelly tonsoliths a day, always felt run down, and had to quit marathon training this summer due to all these problems. That is why I took the steps of having this surrgery. I keep in mind that I will likely feel like a new man when healed. But for the moment I feel much worse then before...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 04:02 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy/Sinus Surgery Woes...help

mr_pseudotonsil,

Hello. Just had similar surgery performed with a few other added options. Read over my repost of LisaMP's guide to a tonsillectomy and my compiled tips for recovery. I am keeping a detailed account of my own experiences there after surgery. I can't type much more, because I have been up for over 24 hours and my vision is beginning to blur, and sleep is calling.

Respectfully, MG

Closed Thread