It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• ANOTHER sinus infection! :(:(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User
    ANOTHER sinus infection! :(:(

Or else the same one. I had one about two weeks ago where I had a headache and sore throat (swollen glands) and a fever one day. I had the infection for about a week and then was feeling better and thought I was about over it. That was until today when I started feeling my throat getting sore and I knew what that meant! I just don't know what else to do. I've been doing nasal irrigation with the machine I have, been taking the echinacea (I don't know if I'm allergic to ragweed or not actually, and I can't afford to have an allergic done these days...no insurance), taking Silver Biotics, doing the Vicks in hot water and breathing in the vapors, taking vitamin C. I'm just at a loss and really think that I'm going to be sick for 6 months out of every year the rest of my life. In that case I may as well call it quits. I get so disgusted with having to live this way. It affects my life so much and I could just cry that I don't think there's anything that will make it go away. I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 infections like I used to get in previous years, but for the past few years I've been getting 8-10 during the fall and winter. Surely people don't have to live like this! I feel lousy and don't feel like doing much of anything. How the heck do you all cope with this??!! I'm about at my wit's end.

Last edited by comeonnow; 11-02-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
    Re: ANOTHER sinus infection! :(:(

I'm so sorry...let me tell ya, people can (and do) live like that; I've been doing it for years, unfortunately. Is there a free clinic you can go to, since you don't have health insurance? I feel for you, I really do.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.blackshear
    I'm so sorry...let me tell ya, people can (and do) live like that; I've been doing it for years, unfortunately. Is there a free clinic you can go to, since you don't have health insurance? I feel for you, I really do.
    If you've been like I've been for years already, I feel for you too. It's not a happy life for me. If you get like I do in the fall and winter, I can imagine that you're pretty miserable then too. If I may ask, how do you cope at work? How do you make it through each day? When I was working earlier this year (and all the previous times when I had jobs and would get like this), I didn't feel like getting out of bed but managed to. I felt miserable driving to work, really miserable at work and could barely drag myself through the day and couldn't wait for it to end, come home and flop on the chair because I'd feel so bad. My husband would actually do most of the cooking. I can barely function from about October up to (and even sometime through) April. So I basically only have 5 months out of the year when I'm not completely miserable. Is that how you feel too? What gets you through the day? I feel so bad I could lay in bed all day long but I don't. I'm tired, run down, have aches and pains. It's awful. There's a free clinic 20 miles from here that my husband was to a few times and didn't think much of. I was thinking that I'd give them a try so my husband called them when I had my last sinus infection about 2 weeks ago to make an appointment for me but couldn't get me in until Nov. 27. I said forget it, I feel bad right now! He even said that on the phone and asked what's a person to do when he/she feels bad and can't get into the doctor right away. He was told that that I could go to the emergency room. Well geez, if I don't have money to go see my regular doctor, I sure as heck don't have the money to go to the E.R.! I really don't know what they expect people to do, and I think things in this country are getting worse all the time.
    Thanks for understanding. People who've never had this just don't know what it's like.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

comeon, if you just started getting sick the last month you are allergic to dust mites. The pollens are gone and the mold count goes way down at this time of year because it is getting too cold for it to grow. There is another thread going about dust mites getting worse at this time of year. Dust mites are so easy to control. They are the easiest allergen. I only have the dust mite allergy and I never take medicine and I'm never sick, either, because I just control the dust mites. I can give you a few tips if you are interested.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I go to work every day... I get here and the lights are so bright I cringe and sit here to get used to it (my sinus headaches come with photophobia some days). I drink water and take Sudafed all day. By just after lunch it's bad enough that I have to consciously coach myself through each hour or minute. I get home and walk the dog (with each step POUNDING through my head), then I am done for the day, more or less. My husband is deployed to some hellhole in southwest Asia, so I do all the "doing" alone.

My allergist just ordered a CT on my sinuses, I go to get it done on Monday. I'll let you know what we find out.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
    James123

James123 HB User

Try exercising regularly. Cardio exercise has helped cut down on my sinus attacks.

Also, I donít believe itís a new infection; itís the same one you had but has not been completely flushed out.

Do a sinus irrigation twice a day with warm saltwater every day. Get a bulb at the pharmacy and fill it up, tilt your head to the side and slightly back, and inject warm salt water in one nostril until it drains out the other.

Get rid of as much rugs in your home as possible. Get rid of dust. Change your pillow case every night.

Get rid of your bedspread. Get one where dust mites canít thrive.

Gargle with warm salt water too.

Cut down on dairy.

Try all the above. Ever since I started cardio workouts, I havenít had a sinus infection or a tonsil episode in 7 months. I was getting them every 6 weeks!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
    James123

James123 HB User

SHOWER AT NIGHT before going to bed.

The amount of allergens we collect in our HAIR is major. We then transfer it our pillows and breathe it in at night.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I wish all that stuff helped me, I've tried it and not making a difference.

I'm hydrated, exercise every day and am lactose intolerant (so I guess I don't need to cut down on dairy since I consume none).

I agree that most of the measures listed would improve things a lot for most people, though, don't get me wrong. What works for one may not work for another.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sannah
    comeon, if you just started getting sick the last month you are allergic to dust mites. The pollens are gone and the mold count goes way down at this time of year because it is getting too cold for it to grow. There is another thread going about dust mites getting worse at this time of year. Dust mites are so easy to control. They are the easiest allergen. I only have the dust mite allergy and I never take medicine and I'm never sick, either, because I just control the dust mites. I can give you a few tips if you are interested.

I agree, but it could also be mold or ragweed, they are both huge fall/winter allergies.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sneezydiva
    I agree, but it could also be mold or ragweed, they are both huge fall/winter allergies.
    The ragweed is gone from here now since the frost and has been really low the last month. Our mold level is 1/3 what it was at its peak in July. In the middle of our winter our mold level is 15% what it is in July. If we were talking about September (fall) I would agree, but when it is this late in the fall the counts for the above have fallen (mold) or disappeared (ragweed). You must live where it doesn't get cold in the winter.

Last edited by Sannah; 11-04-2006 at 04:50 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by James123
    Do a sinus irrigation twice a day with warm saltwater every day. Get a bulb at the pharmacy and fill it up, tilt your head to the side and slightly back, and inject warm salt water in one nostril until it drains out the other.
    Hi James! Do you ever include peroxide and baking soda in the mix anymore?

Quote:
    Ever since I started cardio workouts, I havenít had a sinus infection or a tonsil episode in 7 months. I was getting them every 6 weeks!
    Sounds like the sinus flooding with peroxide just wasn't effective for you.

Any idea why cardio workouts are effective at reducing sinus infections?

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 11-03-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
    James123

James123 HB User

Hi Beerzoids! Long time no see. I haven't been around these boards in over a year I think.

I got kinda lazy with the sinus irrigating. And once I started this vigorous exercise program (I lost 22 lbs and am in awesome shape, now!), I didn't need to do it anymore. I think the cardio intensity just kept my nasal passages open.

But there's no doubt that the sinus irrigating that I did in the past with the baking soda, peroxide and saltwater worked wonders.

This time of year is a test for me. The mold in the air is very high so November for me is always a sinus infection month. In addition to running, I think I'll do the old peroxide routine a few times, just to be on the safe side.

Here's to a winter with no sinus infections!

P.S. tomorrow is the New York City Marathon. NEXT YEAR I vow to be in it! I ran 15 miles one day a few weeks ago. I'm routinely doing about 5-10 miles in a day, 3 times per week.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 AM   #13
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rock on with the Marathon! I'll be pulling for you.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
    macksabratt

macksabratt HB User

I just had surgery on my deviated septum about 2 and a half weeks ago and irragate too.The doctor gave me the kit.I never heard of proxcyide and baking soda.How much do you put in?Im still having pretty bad pain and not feeling much better.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
    JoJoPomPom
    (female)

JoJoPomPom HB User

I am so sorry you feel so bad. I have had sinus problems and post nasal drip since August. I am allergic to dust mites, ragweed, grass, and trees, dogs and cats. I know it is awful. Sinus infection and sinus drainage is a SYMPTOM of allergies therefore what it all boils down to is allergies! As far as dust mites those are impossible to control. But if you are unable to start allergy injections at this time you need to find a allergy medicine that will help. Believe me I tried a million over the counter and they worked like water for me. However I found Allegra which has helped great for me. Also Singular is good for inside and outside allergies. Before you can control your symptoms you must control your allergies. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Closed Thread