It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Question for those with sinus tachacardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User
    Question for those with sinus tachacardia

Hi~
    Just wondering from those of you that suffer from this if what I'm experiencing is normal. Am on beta blocker (verapamil 120 mg.) which I "think" is helping but there are times, like today, I have to go up 2 flights of stairs at work and done that 4 times today and a couple of times I felt like my heart skipped beats, then other times was fine, not out of breath or anything. Can work out on treadmill and do pretty well also at 3.8 or 4.0 for 30 minutes. Since I'm on the meds (2 weeks) still doing the dizzy thing off and on and scares me too. Stomach a little queezy..Is all this normal? I FREAK out about all heart issues which leads to my horrible anxiety. Will stop by Drs. office tomorrow and get bp checked and have her listen to my heart just because it is a LONG week-end with the holidays. Thank you for any answers. Merry Christmas to some wonderful friends I have come to trust and cherish your caring and friendship through my tough times. Wishing you all a Blessed Holiday Season !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
    michigander64
    Inactive
    (male)

michigander64 HB User
    Re: Question for those with sinus tachacardia

Dinney - I have been on Verapamil for 5 years now (360mg Day) and the stomach thing took a while to get used to. Since I started taking them with milk it seems to lessen. As far as being dizzzy, I experience it sometimes ut it is nothing. I guess we become hypersensative about it since we know we have a problem.
    How high is your heart rate? I was trusting the VA to know what to do on mine and had resting rates between 108 and 124 for 5 years, then got smart yesterday and told my Dr at the VA to have a happy new year using the middle finger on my right hand and went to a private doctor who questioned why the VA hadn't given me a beta blocker then wrote me one. Well today my pulse has been hanging around 71-78 and I feel great!!! More energy, breath better, not so anxious etc...
    Good Luck

Old 12-22-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

I was SO hoping to hear from someone when I came into work today. Isn't verapamil a beta blocker ? When my dr. showed me the readings from my halter monitor that I wore for a week, at one time the resting heart rate was 130 but I haven't checked for the 3 weeks I have been on meds, see her today. When I saw her a week after being on meds my BP was REAL high and it's never been high, haven't had it checked since then. Guess I get so damned anxious about this entire thing and I know "if" this is all that is going on, I can live with it. My biggest problem (so I've been told is my anxiety) and have dealt with it most of my life, probably since being right beside my father when I was 18 and he died at home at the age of 45 from massive heart attack so the heart thing is so frightning for me. Good for you for seeing another dr., I have thought about it too. Love my dr. but feel after seeing them for years you get "labeled" . Thanks again for your input and God Bless, love to hear from you again to see how you are doing.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
    michigander64
    Inactive
    (male)

michigander64 HB User

Dinney - From what I have been told, Verapamil is a calicum channel blocker not a beta blocker. It really did nothing in my case to bring my rate down and believe me, my rate would be high 104 or higher all the time, even though I might have just woken up! I would go to the VA and they would just blow it off, tell me to quit smoking and do nothing. I took my first dose of Atenolol yesterday and my pulse hung out at between 71 to 78 all day and my blood pressure was normal for a change. When I woke up this morning, it was 66!!

It never hurts to have another Dr. look at you because it's your body (and money) and sometimes it takes a fresh look to figure out what is wrong.

Last edited by michigander64; 12-22-2006 at 07:54 AM.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

Yes, you are right it is a calcium channel blocker (I knew that)..well will see how things look/sound today when I see her but have thought for a long time I need to get another opinion. I don't check my pulse (not sure the correct way) and havent' had bp checked for 3 weeks. Just feel nauseated today and took my verapamil last night with food so could be something else. Also there were x-mas parties here at work and bowed out from both offers just because I feel yucky (AND think get a little social anxiety)..just a freak and don't really like myself a whole lot right now. Don't want to feel bad and worry about every little thing but do ! Thanks so VERY, VERY much for keeping in touch tho, appreciate it more then you'll ever know.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
    michigander64
    Inactive
    (male)

michigander64 HB User

Dinney - So how did your visit with the Dr. go today? Well I hope. Hopefully she put you on a beta blocker so you can have some piece. Not really knowing what is wrong is about the worse feeling you can have especially when it comes to your heart, I don't care who you are or how tough you might be. I have been cruizing around today at around 70bpm wishing I would of got a second opinion long ago. You wouldn't believe how much stress this has caused me and the time lost with my kids cause I was stressed out.

Let me know how it turned out.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

michigander64:
    Well, visit went pretty well (I think). Pulse was 70, BP was 120/70, she listened to my heart and said all sounds good, lungs sound good but said from the little episode when I went up the stairs she wanted to up my verapamil SR to 160 mg, from 120 mg but think I will wait until next Tuesday to do that since the dizziness/stomach thing is a minor problem right now. Don't want things any worse over the holidays. Why can't I just trust in her and be sure this is all that is going on with my heart ? Am praying so hard to just relax, trust in her and enjoy my life. Thanks so much for caring, that is as important to me to have you to talk to then any Dr. in the world, trust me. God Bless all of you that talk/listen to me ! Merry Christmas and keep in touch because trust me I will keep in touch with you.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

It is worse to get a second opinion. My old cardio has seen me for 24 years. He told me everything had fixed. Now all symptoms are related to anxiety. When I see the second opinion cardio, he told me I was in V-Fib! Caught in the ECG. Now I know the "train" and "elephant" which hidden in my chest wasn't an anxiety! Question is: who is going to treat me now? Second opinion cardio said, my rhythm is complex. He didn't want to take me.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

Pika:
    Am having a rotten day today but plugging along, doing housework, getting last minute things done for x-mas BUT feel like CRAP. Chest a little tight, some dizziness, just "out of it", feels like a medication induced thing to me. So sad but am dreading X-mas as the anxiety, wondering if I will have a BAD episode in public scares me to death. And, as for getting a second opinion, I think I need to but am scared to I guess. Stupid thinking I'm sure. Now I'm concerned as the first of the year our insurance deductables and everything is alot higher so I'm thinking I should have seen someone else before now. Don't even like myself, could just curl up in bed and be alone right now and I have 2 beautiful grandchildren coming to celebrate x-mas along with my wonderful but LARGE family gathering tomorrow night after Mass. (scared to go to Mass) as I will probably start sweating, get dizzy..Lets all just pray for each other that life WILL soon get better. PLEASE keep in touch with me, need all of you to talk too. Hugs & Prayers.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

Dinney,

I was on Verapamil 360mg for my SVTs since I was 19 until last New Years. One started and I couldn't get it to stop. An hour later I called the Ambulance and they were able to get it down. After all that I saw a new cardio (old one retired and my GP had been giving me the Verapamil) and he switched me to Diltiazem 180mg and one Atenolol 25mg at night. The Atenolol also work good when I have an episode. From my experience in the last year I have more issues when I am stressed.
    I have been seeing a therapist, taking 250mg of Magnesium and xanax when needed and so far have had only one in 7 months. I had 3 in 5 months before then.
    Supposidly my cardio said that the drugs I am on are newer than the Verapamil and in his experience seem to work better. I have read that some people have side effects on the Atenolol, but I have the exact opposite. It lowers my bpm and makes me sleepy.
    Just try to take some long deep breaths and hopefully you will be less stressed after the holidays. I know I will!

Closed Thread