It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Problems - Need Advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
    Bill1125
    (male)

Bill1125 HB User
    Sinus Problems - Need Advice

Okay,

Here's the story.

About a month and a half ago, I went to the doctor for pressure on my right side, by my teeth and some pressure in my sinuses. He prescribed Allega-D, Rhinocort, and Z-Pack, since I was going on vacation a week and a half later. About a month had passed, I was a little better, but felt it returning. He renewed my prescription for Allegra-D. I started having bad headaches that would wake me up and keep me up. I've had sinus trouble before, so I knew what to try. Take a hot bath, and tylenol rapid release. Anway, I went back, and was prescribed Prednisone and more Allegra-D.

The prednisone is over and still taking Allegra-D. I'm stunned on what to do. I had a Sinus Xray, but have not had the results given to me yet. I don't want to call the doctor on Christmas. I purchased NeilMed sinus rinse, do you guys suggest that?

I haven't had a severe headache in about a week, but have discomfort behind my eye. Is that normal with my sinus condition? Also, right above my eye, towards the bridge of my nose is tender to touch. Besides the eye discomfort and the urge to want to keep rubbing it, I feel pretty good. In fact, I'm still working out and using the steam room, which seems to help.

Please advise. I'm a worry wart. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Sinus Problems - Need Advice

Sounds like a text book sinus infection to me. Sinuses rinsing can not hurt and might temporarily relieve pressure, but if it is a bacterial sinus infection you are going to need long term anti-biotics to kill it. Sinus infections are dark cavitiy infection where low blood flow causes the need for a minimum of 14 days strong anti-biotics or 21-28 moderate strength anti-biotics. Most GP's prescribe 5 to seven days.. but I always had to go back for a refill or three. Call and leave a message stating that you were getting better but that the symptoms came back. Ask for a cephelosporin or fluoroquinalone.. these are the best for killing dark cavitity infections.

Best of luck.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
    bweb
    (male)

bweb HB User

I have pretty consistent pressure above my left eye and around the bridge of my nose, too. Had sinus surgery Sept. 1, and that did not solve this problem.

I don't have any unusual drainage. Tried Allegra D. No real resolution. If you get any good results, please post it!!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

bweb,

I have learned after my recent complete endoscopis sinus surgery (the works membranes scraped and removes, passages widened, holes punched, etc.), if my sinuses dry out I get similar pain to that of a sinus infection... My surgery was just 4 months ago and I will still get flare ups of irritated bleeding as a result of sinus dryness as well. When I feel that pinch at the bridge of the nose and pressure above the eyes.. application of simply saline and/or the prescription oil drops up the nose.. alleviates my pain almost instantly. If you haven't tried this you might want to check it out.

Respectfully yours,
    MG

Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
    jule12
    (female)

jule12 HB User

I suffered for years with sinus problems, and had endoscopic sinus surgery in June. First, if the scans show that your back sinuses are blocked, and they recommend the surgery, I just want you to know, I'm still having complications. My eyes hurt all the time since the surgery and they don't know why. As far as what you are going through now, if the Prednisone did not work, you probably need a stronger antibiotic. I just got over a sinus infection. It was so bad, I had to take Avelox for 2 weeks. It worked. I also used Nasonex spray. Good luck, feel better.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jule12,

Avelox for two weeks? Well that is pretty standard. Normally it is recommended that you take anti-biotics for 21-28 days to completely kill the infection and prevent flare ups and bacterial immunity developement.

You are still having pain behind the eyes? Have you tried a saline nasal spray like simply saline? You can use it as needed and it will fight pain due to your sinuses drying out.

I had holes punched from my frontal sinuses into my ethonoid sinuses and from the ethnoid into my back sinuses. All of my ethnoid membranes and back membranes were removed. My frontal and maxilary sinsuses were turboplastied for a second time leaving only 30-40% of membranes present and the passage ways in and out widened. Also I had windows cut through the back of my throat into my frontal and maxilary sinuses to allow for prompt drainage of my sinuses.

All of this was done October 17th alongside my T&A extraction. Since then I have had the occasional sinus headache due to dryness and sore throat due to drainage; but I have had no other ill effects. The bonus? Well I haven't had a sinus infection, or case of bronchittus since.. I actually drain versus pack up in my head now. I wish I had had this procedure done when I was 16 like my brother, mother, and father. But at 31 I survived it. There is a percentage chance that the procedure may case eye problems or damage to the brain if the ENT slips and punches too many holes.. and one goes into the brain. However this chance is less than 1%. I was willing to take that chance, given my ENT's creds.

Is there a chance you ENT damaged the optic nerve? If the saline rinses and sinus remoisturization doesn't help you should go and get evaluated by a nuerosurgeon or better yet a NS that specializes in opthomology. I had a great one before moving here, but I am sure it is a common medical specialization for a neurosurgeon.

Best of luck to everyone.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
    jule12
    (female)

jule12 HB User

Thank you for your response. I had MRI's done of my sinuses, brain, and orbits a week ago. They came out clear. I also saw another ENT who said that he didn't see anything wrong. I have to see about the optic nerve and will ask my neurologist how they test to see if it was damaged.

Closed Thread