It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sick Sinus Syndrome???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User
    Sick Sinus Syndrome???

I have been having some issues for the past few weeks. Ever since I stopped smoking in November my heart rate has been really low (in the 50s) most of the time, except early morning when it spikes over 100 most days. A few weeks ago I started to get a weird twinge or spasm or something right under my breastbone every time I sit down. It happens a lot if I am sitting. I don't know if this is cardiac or gastro related. It feels like a muscle twinge. When this started, I also started getting pounding heart beats. Whether it is slow or fast, I can actually see my heart beating. I can see it in my chest and my stomach. If I am sitting and lean my head forward, my hair actually moves to my pulse. This has been driving me absolutely crazy!

Last week I went to see my PCP because I have just been feeling very yucky. I have been lightheaded for 4 years now (and no doctor can explain it and just treat me like I'm nuts) but the lightheadedness has been 10 times worse in the last week or so. I can't even sit here without feeling like I'm going to fall over. I have also been feeling very tired and just really run down. However, on the day I went to my PCP my heart rate was over 100 the entire day! I took a couple xanax thinking it was anxiety and that didn't help. So she did an EKG and told me it was normal. When I went to check out the girl handed me a referral to a cardiologist and it said "SSS?". Well, I know what SSS means so of course I am really worried about that. I already have a cardiologist, so I will call today and make an appointment with him. The thing is...I have had so many heart tests and he keeps telling me I'm fine, so he treats me like a total loon when I come in there. HOWEVER - I was on beta blockers when I had my holter monitor so who knows how true the results are.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Yes, I am obsessed with checking my pulse and I need to stop doing it. However - why does my heart rate fluctuate so much? This morning it was running about 80 when I was getting ready for work. I walked upstairs to get something and it got up to 136. Should it really go that fast just walking upstairs? It came down shortly thereafter. As I sit here typing this my heart rate is 56. It will stay in the 50s the rest of the day now like it normally does. When I go to the gym I usually do the elliptical machine for about 20-25 minutes. My heart rate goes up to like 150-160 and recovers the way it should, I guess. However, when it does recover it will slow down, then speed up a little, then slow down, speed up, etc. until it finally just slows down. All the while I can feel very hard beats whenever it changes...like thumps, I guess.

Can someone please help me? This is driving me crazy. If you tell me it is all anxiety and that I need mental help, that is fine too. I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't think it is normal for someone's heart rate to fluctuate as much as mine does. And a heart rate in the 50s all day is too low, isn't it? I guess I'm just a wreck over this and want someone to talk to. And what is with this twitch in my stomach? Anyone ever had that?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
    JJSMITH
    (female)

JJSMITH HB UserJJSMITH HB User
    Re: Sick Sinus Syndrome???

I'm very curious to find out if you have found out what's causing your rapid pulse. I am also going crazy here. It isn't so much that my resting pulse is between 100 to 110, but the fact that I constantly hear it pounding in my ears and feel the pounding in my chest, stomach and feet! This goes on
    24/7. I started taking Caduet (low dose) a week ago for high blood pressure/high cholesterol, but it has made no difference in the rapid pulse. Any help would be appreciated. God bless.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi there. I went to the cardiologist today. See my post titled "Coffee causing low heart rate". Anyway, he just told me the same as usual...to stop paying so much attention to my heart. He said it is possible I could have some autonomic dysfuction but there's nothing that can be done about it anyway. He said to live my life normally and do whatever I want. Yeah, easy for him to say. He said the pounding could be anxiety, or I am just very aware of my heart. I guess I need to just believe him and get over this nonsense. It is no fun constantly worrying about this stuff. I need to just live my life. I just hope he is right!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Oh and I see your from "outside Orlando". Me too!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
    ej6666
    (female)

ej6666 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJSMITH View Post
    I'm very curious to find out if you have found out what's causing your rapid pulse. I am also going crazy here. It isn't so much that my resting pulse is between 100 to 110, but the fact that I constantly hear it pounding in my ears and feel the pounding in my chest, stomach and feet! This goes on
    24/7. I started taking Caduet (low dose) a week ago for high blood pressure/high cholesterol, but it has made no difference in the rapid pulse. Any help would be appreciated. God bless.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
    ej6666
    (female)

ej6666 HB User
    Question Re: Sick Sinus Syndrome???

ej666

Hi - I joined this discussion because I too am having similar problems with feeling my heart beat in various places throughout my body. Yes, I can feel my heart beat, but I can be sitting and watching tv and my fingers will be beating - or my feet - I can sometimes see my stomach beating if I'm setting a certain way. The doctors send me to another one when they can't find out whats wrong - and this is expensive business. I have high bp and a sliding hernia with acid reflux, but no one seems to be able to explain why I would feel my pulse all over my body like that. Until this thread I never heard anyone say they had a similar problem.

I sure want to know if any one knows or becomes enlightened. Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
    jrmom1
    (female)

jrmom1 HB User

beta blockers will reduce your heart rate to the 50's that is the norm. Anxiety can bring your HR above 100 consistently also.

A true SSS shows a person with a HR over 120's( and higher for no reason) and then breaks and goes below the 40s, with pauses. Causing fainting feeling and syncope (passing out). SSS is relatively uncommon. SSS is sinus node dysfunction.

Your cardiologist might give you a holter monitor or loop recorder to assess your symptoms

Closed Thread