It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus CT Scan and the Cold

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User
    Sinus CT Scan and the Cold

Finally have a sinus CT scan scheduled in about a week. Problem is I came down with a nasty cold, nose running constantly and blocked up. Not even sudafed will alleviate it temporarily this time. Should I go ahead with the scan anyway or is it better to reschedule for when the cold is gone.
    Whats involved in the scan and how long does it generally take. Do you lie down flat for the head scan or no?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Sinus CT Scan and the Cold

GO ahead with it.. It will show any infected mucus. Only certain anti-biotics will interfere with the CT scan. The head cold will actually improve the resolution of the images. As far as method it depends on the CT some have you sitting and the ring moves about your head.. but the older machines have you laying on your stomach or back. It will be uncomfortable, but it will be worth it for what you will learn.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

Hi MG,

Nice to still see you here.

Sinus CT scan uncomfortable, you mean? Pretty sure they still use the old equipment here. Still have throat/neck/breathing issues from acid reflux

The first couple days of my cold, nose running like crazy but can still breathe. Now been on sudafed for 3 days, feels like nasal passages are dried up and can hardly blow anything out of my nose. Which doesn't make sense to me. If sudafed constricts blood vessels and opens up the airways a bit, shouldn't it be easier to blow your nose.

Last edited by hp8; 01-15-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

hp8,

Yes, I am still here. As a born teacher, I feel it important to share what I have learned with those that helped me. So here is some more information for you.

Sometimes psuedophed can do such a good job that you are dried up. Try using a simple saline spray in conjunction with the decongestant. This should help flush the bad stuff away. And remoisten the membranes if the decongestant is drying things out too much.

Aye. Uncomfortable. It seems that no matter what machine they use they make you tilt your head at just the right angle to slam all the gunk to the front and make any sinus pressure and headaches you are experiencing more intense. This is all due to the angle necessary for optimum sinus imaging. I have had... hummm... 4 maybe 5 CT's in the last three years, each has showed something new. I can not wait until my next one. I would like to see what my endoscopic roto rootering did to the inside of my head .

Respectfully Yours,
    MG

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

Well the hospital called me to confirm my appointment and I told them I just caught the cold. They said if I still have it 2 days from now (I don't see any reason why I wouldn't unless someone comes up with a miracle cure within 48 hrs), then I have to cancel and reschedule for a later date.
    I'm suspecting its not the CT scan but maybe no one there wants to catch my germs maybe.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Possibly.. or they the MD's are wanting a base line CT. Something to compare with.. i.e. hp8 healthy has sinuses that look like this... sick he looks like this. Each MD is different.

I know that if you were on fluoroquinolones they would make your sinus mucus glow like all get out and interfere with the scan, i.e. rescheduling would be necessary; however, normal infected mucus comes out as opac cloudy zones and doesn't interfere with cavity degradation. The infected mucus could however interfere with the MD's ability to see if you are experiencing sinus cavity degradation as a result of chronic sinusitus. Anyway.. if you have to rescedule I am sure they will work you in ASAP... especially if you explain your healthy periods are few and far between.

Best of luck.
    MG

Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

Hi MG,

One one more question and I promise not to bother you for a while.

The hospital called me again and told me to come infor the scan anyway. Because next bookings are for March. I wonder if I was taking decongestants like sudafed or dayquill the day of the scan, does it make any difference.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Technically the decongestant would at most dry up some of the fluid.. they will not interfere with the scan quality itself. Thus being on decongestants will effect nothing. I am on the maximum allowed decongestant amount everyday and have been for over 15 years... also add on zyrtec or claritin or allegra, and flonase or nasonex. Never was a problem with the 8 CT scans I have had in that period. Only certain anti-biotics will affect the scan. So you are good to go forward with your scan.

Sincerely, MG

P.S. Bug away.. gives me a programming break.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

Max amount of decongestants almost daily for 15 years, that alone should have caused some permanent damage to your nasal cavities. Or your kidneys are shot by now. Why are you still using meds after all that surgery. I think you said it has been like 4 or 5 months since your last surgery now. Can you breathe freely through your nose all day without them?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hp8,
    Max amount of decongestants almost daily for 15 years, that alone should have caused some permanent damage to your nasal cavities. Or your kidneys are shot by now.

To clarify:
    My kidneys, liver, and sinus cavities had no complications as a result of decongestants. I was started by military MDs on max decongestant each day at the age of 15. I had my sinus surgery at the age of 31. Thus approximately 15 years on the maximum dosage.. excluding my 35 week pregnancy.. I was on a half dosage level then.

Routine blood work, CT scans, and blood pressure checks showed no adverse effects to the long term use of the decongestants on my system. My general practicioner is an internal medicine/pharmacologist and he manages me quite well. I go in for routine health checks every four months.

SInce my surgery my medications have changed slightly. Now I take zyrtec, singular, dynex 1x daily(versus 2xdaily) and nexium. I have discontinued Nasonex in favor of simply saline rinse, ayr saline gel, and a prescription nasal oil mixture.

I have my final consultation with my ENT on the 30th of this month. After that I am going to ween myself off of them and see how I do. But my allergies are pretty bad and with out decongestants my drainage is quite annoying and constant.

Thank-you for the concern. I am a living long term prescription medication study. My son, husband, brother, mother, sister-in-law, nieces, and father-in-law are also in the same boat. I will let people know how many years it takes for things to fail.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

Ah ok, I knew I forgot something, your allergies. That would mess things up considerably, surgery or no surgery. I know this sounds stupid even suggesting, like as if you never considered it before, but my nephew goes for allergy shots every week. Don't they work better than the pill form meds. I know you have to take them for a long time and quite expensive too.

All those degongest. and anti-histamines you taking must make your mouth/throat extremely dried out. I know my mouth so dry its quite uncomfortable, feel like my tongue twice the size. What do you use to alleviate this. I have to wake up several times every night to sip water, my throat so dry. Tests performed by my internal medicine MD couldn't find any cause for this condition aside from sudafed and meds use.

Last edited by hp8; 01-18-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hp8,
    Ah ok, I knew I forgot something, your allergies. That would mess things up considerably, surgery or no surgery. I know this sounds stupid even suggesting, like as if you never considered it before, but my nephew goes for allergy shots every week.

Yep. Been there done that in twice, four years of self sticking.. I am glad I am not diabetic. Got my allergies down from a five scale on a 0-5 scale in pretty much everything outside and many foods to 2's and 3's. They do not recommend another go until my allergies get worse again or I move to another state.

Don't they work better than the pill form meds. I know you have to take them for a long time and quite expensive too.
    Yes, overall they can get you into a managable state, but they are not a cure all with someone with a hyperactive immune system, they just desensitize you to irritants that make your body hit high alert status. Basically when my immune system is bored it attacks my own body.. what a fun thing to live with.. eh? Expensive.. let us not go there beyond saying praise be for great health insurance and only owing 10% out of our own pocket books.. and $5, $20, $40 three month prescription drug supplies.

All those degongest. and anti-histamines you taking must make your mouth/throat extremely dried out. I know my mouth so dry its quite uncomfortable, feel like my tongue twice the size. What do you use to alleviate this.

This has never been much of a problem.. I am mucus girl in triplicate all the time. I do however drink on average 100 ounces of water a day.. no sodas, tea, or coffee.. although I do splurge on tea with honey and cocoa in cold weather. I also use a saline nasal spray.. Simply Saline (love the dispersement mechanism).. every day as well multiple times a day.

I have to wake up several times every night to sip water, my throat so dry. Tests performed by my internal medicine MD couldn't find any cause for this condition aside from sudafed and meds use.
    Well I have sleep apnea. I sleep under high pressure air flow with a humidifying reservior. I also use saline gel and a nasal oil at night that keeps my sinuses moist and happy. If your mouth is drying out you are mouth breathing or snoring in your sleep. This will happen until you can breathe through your nose and train your self to breathe that way.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread