It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Alternative treatments for chronic sinus congestion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
    de49152
    (male)

de49152 HB User
    Alternative treatments for chronic sinus congestion?

I am getting sick of oral or spray decongestants for chronic congestion!! Sudafed every day/Afrin every night is not good! Allergist says I have chronic rhinitis & allergic to mold & dust mites. Already got the mite-proof bedding. Have also tried several brands of nasal steroids, no luck. Also tried nasal irrigation, but usually too blocked to do it, and the water gets trapped in the ears, ouch! I guess surgery is the last option, but I've read people going through it with limited success.

Has anyone had any luck with other ways to treat chronic sinus congestion?? I'll try (almost) anything!!

-Dan

Last edited by de49152; 01-26-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: Alternative treatments for chronic sinus congestion?

Hi Dan, try eating yogurt every day. It works because your immune cells are in your gut and the acidophilus in the yogurt is a flora that is very healthy for your gut. My husband has an allergy to only mold and he uses only this treatment (he takes no meds) and is symptom free. If he forgets to eat yogurt (or take the acidophilus in pill form) his post nasal drip starts. My only inhaled allergy is dust mites and I control it only by controlling the dust mites in the house (I take no meds and have no symptoms). Do you wash your dust mite covers periodically and your blankets periodically? If you can get rid of your carpetting this really helps.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
    de49152
    (male)

de49152 HB User

Thanks, I'l try the yogurt. We already wash our bedding weekly, and have no carpets.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User

Check into oil of oregano.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

First of all, get off the Afrin. It's causing a rebound effect. Try Nasalcrom (sp?). It was invented to get people off Afrin. Let us know how it works.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Are you getting allergy shots? i think that would be the next step. Also, a saline nasal spray like ENTsol can help wash away mucus, though it isn't quite as effective as nasal irrigation. But if you are extremely blocked, it won't get into your ears like irrigation can.

Closed Thread