It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Do I have a sinus infection???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
    twiles18
    (male)

twiles18 HB User
    Unhappy Do I have a sinus infection???

About 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with a sinus infection. I have a history of sinus infections but every sinus infection I have ever had consisted of moderate headaches and lots of drainage. I moved to TN and haven't had a sinus infection until now. I am now dizzy and have severe headaches and my faces throbs and I sometimes feel like I am going to pass out. I took bactrum for 5 days and then quit cause it made me worse and then I was on arithromycin for a 5 day period and now I am going on my 2nd round of arithromycin. Is it just a really bad sinus infection? I haven't left the house in almost 2 weeks cause of this and I am not a stay at home person. I am pretty fatigued and just don't have any energy. If any one else experiences these symptoms I feel for them. Is there any home remedies to help the headaches and sinus pressure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
    twiles18
    (male)

twiles18 HB User
    Re: Do I have a sinus infection???

I also am somewhat sensitive to light and I don't have any drainage at all it feels really dry and sometimes stings and hurts when I breathe in.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

The pollen here in the south is high now causing a lot of allergy problems. If you're in Tn that is probably what you are experiencing. Have you taken an antihistamine? I've had sore throat & sinus inf for a month. Antihistamine has not helped. Hope you get better soon.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

The antibiotic regiments you have been on are not going to cure a sinus infection -now way. As a long-time sufferer who has been through surgery and just abour every treatment, I can tell you that the only thing that will correct a serious infection is irrigation with a machine. Antibiotics cannot treat a serious infection -there is no blood flow in the sinus cavities. Now an antibiotic can keep an infection from spreading to the lungs -but that is a different issue.

You can use a neti pot to irrigate, or a water pick. But the most effective method is through a machine like the Grossan Hydropulse. The solution should be

480ml of cool, distilled water.
    A tablespoon of Zyletol (Breathe-Ease XL) or kosher salt
    10ml of Alkalol -a mucus solvent
    3 ml of hydrogen peroxide

Irrigate 3 times a day for 3-4 days, then subtract the peroxide and irrigate twice a day for two weeks. Use decongestants and Mucinix while you are doing this, and try to sleep in an elevated position.

This procedure does 3 things

1. It clears the allergens and gunk out of the sinuses
    2. Stimulates the motion of the cilia in the nose and Ethmoid sinus
    3. The peroxide directly attacks the infection

I do this all the time, and I've cleared many infections this way. I still get infections because of horrible allergies and kids that are in daycare. But they don't put me into the hospital. I virtually never need to take antibiotics unless I've developed lung problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to chigs489 For This Useful Post:
    herbman (07-30-2012)
    Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
    twiles18
    (male)

twiles18 HB User

I am currently taking Advil sinus and cold to help me start draining but nothing. I am kinda interested in trying the procedure you are talking about chiggins. Is it okay to use for anyone? I didn't know what a couple of the items are in the concoction so I didn't know if it would react to the advil or the arithromycin. I took an antihistamine (claritin D) when I first started getting a cold or sinus infection and it made me 10 times worse. Let me know if there are any restrictions with the procedure eg. medicine reactions. I am really thinking about trying it. I am very very tired of being sick and the soonest I can get into a ENT is 4 weeks from today. What can you do about sensitivity to the light? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

The procedure is perfectly safe as long as you do not

a) use too much hydrogen peroxide
    b) use cool water -NEVER warm or hot -that will increase swelling.

You can also check out the post concerning "upside down sinus flooding" on this board, which is similar. The only difference is that my method involves the machine, which I find penetrates deeper.

The machine itself isn't cheap, but for me it is a life saver. You can also use a standard water pick.

Try this method for two weeks, and if there is no improvement, go see an ENT to get a CT Scan done. If you have a polyp that is obstructing the sinuses, that will have to be reduced through steroids or removed. Chances are, you have an infection just like the ones I get. Using this method, it will clear with 5 days. You will notice the yellow and green gunk from the nose turning clear after about 48 hours.

Closed Thread