It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• My Sinus Story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
    elizacountry
    (female)

elizacountry HB User
    My Sinus Story

I have been dealing with sinus problems for most of my life (I'm 26). I missed a lot of days of school due to sinus infections but my current infection is the worst one I've ever had. My nose was so stopped up tonight I could barely breathe. I went into the bathroom and breathed in the steam and that seemed to help, so I got my steam humidifier out and am currently using it and I can actually breathe through my nose now.

I have read that dust mites aggravate sinuses so I am hoping to go to Penny's soon and buy two more pillow covers. I have to sleep on three pillows in order for my sinuses to drain while I'm asleep.

When I have sinus infections(at least one every two months, and I always have postnasal drip) I also have pain in my face, mainly on the right side of my face. My teeth sometimes throb as well, so much so that last year I thought I had cavities but my dentist assures me that this is sinus pressure.

But this current sinus infection is like having the cold and the flu at the same time. I don't have any energy (it took all my strength to brave the 5,000+ pollen count (I have allergies to pollen as well) on Tuesday to go to the doctor. I'm hoping this humidifier will continue to allow me to breathe, maybe even breathe a little better, by tomorrow.

Currently I'm taking amoxicillin and Zyrtec. Zyrtec is pretty expensive. I heard it was going over the counter several months ago--anyone hear if it will soon? 10 ounces is $73. I currently have half a bottle, so I guess I'll need to get it in a week or so.

I hope to learn a lot from all of you on this board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
    Patthedog
    (female)

Patthedog HB User
    Re: My Sinus Story

That is so awful! Are you able to go to an ENT, maybe get a CT scan of your sinuses? Do you have polyps, swollen turbinates, etc.?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I was just like you for 31 years. It took a great MD who finally did a full endoscopic sinus surgery, nocking holes everywhere he could and removing 51 percent of my turbonide membranes, and yanking my nasty tonsils and adnoids to give me relief. My surgery was October 17 2006. I have been sinus infection free since. I actually drain when my allergies kick up now.. it is great. I would look into seeing an ENT in conjunction with you allergistt.

Mine Dr. St.Charles, Chattanooge, TN was fabulas and he gets patients for AL and GA all the time for his expertiese.

Respectfully,
    MG

P.S. The pollen counts flying about greater than 2000 have not been helping our immune systems either.

Last edited by mkgb; 04-02-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Your story sounds like mine.

I suffer from sinus problems despite surgery in 2004.

Zyrtec didn't help me, and Amoxicillan isn't particularly effective. Antibiotics have a less than 20% success rate against sinus infections, since there is no blood flow in the sinus cavities -they are bone.

My suggestion is to get on a hard-core irrigation routine using an irrigation machine. Because you are infected now, this is what you will need to do.

Get a machine (there are a couple offered on the web -they aren't cheap, but I can't live without it).
    Purchase this stuff called "Breathe Ease XL" -a kind of saline powder that can be used in the machine. You can also use Kosher salt, but it is not as effective.
    Buy some Alkalol, a mucus solvent.

In the resevoir of the machine, mix up the following:

480ml of COOL distilled water -never warm.
    15 ml of Alkalol
    5ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide
    a heaping tablespoon of Breathe Ease or Kosher salt

Before you irrigate, use Afrin to clear your nasal passages. Wait 30 minutes then begin. Only use the Afrin ONCE -never again.

Irrigate 3 times a day with this mixture for 3 days, then continue without the peroxide. Once the infection clears, irrigate 1-2 times a day on a regular basis to prevent repeat infections.

I get infections when I get off my routine and one of my kids gives me the flu or a bad cold.

if this does not work (I estimate about a 90% cure rate on this), go see an ENT and make sure you don't have an obstruction (polyp, etc.) causing the problem. You might need a CT scan.

You have to attack the problem at the source.

Remember also, that like me, you have an allergy issue. I'm badly allergic to dust mites and there is little I can do about it. This is a maintenance issue.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
    thfc2006
    (male)

thfc2006 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patthedog View Post
    That is so awful! Are you able to go to an ENT, maybe get a CT scan of your sinuses? Do you have polyps, swollen turbinates, etc.?
    Having just had sinus surgery last week, I would echo this advice if your situation continues.

Closed Thread