It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• New Here - Inner Ear or Sinus Infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
    whobitty
    (female)

whobitty HB User
    New Here - Inner Ear or Sinus Infection?

I've had dizzy spells for the last three days or so. My head feels full, especially my ears. When I have the dizziness I get a lot of the ocean sound/underwater feeling going back and forth from ear to ear. It feels like it is trying to settle somewhere or that my head is trying to "pressurize."

I have had this at times in the past (maybe three times, the last being 4-5 years ago), and have always been diagnosed as having either a sinus infection or labrynthitis. I went to my new doctor yesterday and he seemed to disregard these as possible causes since I have no visible drainage, etc. He may have also been concerned because I vomited after the first bad dizzy spell (I think I panicked). He gave me a prescription for Antivert and sent me for blood work.

I am wondering if it could still be a sinus or inner ear infection of some sort. When I was able to take a short nap yesterday and relax completely, I did start to drain like crazy (but not green like he is probably looking for) and the dizziness was much, much better. Today, however, I feel like I'm walking on a boat. Can dizziness be sinus-related without other major sinus symptoms? Would a decongestant or antihistamine be more helpful? Thanks for any info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
    charlotte67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

charlotte67 HB User
    Re: New Here - Inner Ear or Sinus Infection?

I think labs/vn typically don't come in "spells"...for me it was an initial bad vertigo episode...followed by weeks/months of lightening symptoms of dizzy and other.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
    Re: New Here - Inner Ear or Sinus Infection?

Hi Whobitty,

Here's what David Buchholz MD has to say (from John Hopkins University School of Medicine) about sinus causing migraine (and thus migraine associated vertigo) in "Heal Your Headache":

The "Myth" of sinus headache -

- the mucosu membranes that line your nose and sinuses are loaded with blood vessels.

- when migraine causes blood vessels of the head to become swollen, its favourite target is the nose and sinuses.

- the swelling and inflammation of blood vessels there produces congestion, pressure, stuffiness, postnasal drip, and pain.

- you and your doc don't realise this is migraine and, instead, think it is allergy, infection or a structural abnormality afflicting your sinuses

- migraine is behind this most of the time.

Migraine may be the root cause of your dizziness given the sinus pain and the sporadic nature of your attacks.

Scott

Closed Thread