It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Tachycardia???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
    hukleberrie
    Veteran
    (female)

hukleberrie HB User
    Sinus Tachycardia???

Hello. I am normally a very healthy person. I came down with a kidney infection & have been dealing with some (what they thought was kidney stones but not) urological issues & in the mean time started having heart palpitations. Every time I have went to the doc when for these other issues lately my heart rate was over 101+ each time, which is high for me. When I mentioned it to the doc about the palpitations he listened to my heart & went & go the other doc & did an EKG. They seem pretty concerned... I had an issue back when I was pregnant for my daughter 11 years ago & was told it was Sinus Tachycardia & that it would go away after she was born. It took about 6 months to a year & I haven't felt it since, but now it's back. The docs want to do more tests (echocardiogram & holter monitor) but I am wondering if it's neccessary. They put me on Inderal but I quit taking it because I started having dizzy spells. Sometimes it feels like I am on a rollar coaster. I can't even do some of my yoga positions because lifting my arms over my head made them feel like pins & needles & really scared me. They don't want me on caffeine or anything physical exercise. I can't make it up the stairs at work without having to stop & breathe & try to get it to calm down. Should I be concerned or is this something that is just my response to other pains? Has anyone else had this type of thing? When I was pregnant 11 years ago they told me it was Sinus Tachycardia, but the doctor didn't seem like he felt the same, he thought I might need more tests, but I don't have insurance & have already spendt nearly $1,000 finding out that I don't have stones... My blood pressure was always 110/68 & this last time it was 128/98. Can heart problems cause kidney problems or vice versa? I am just wondering if my issues might be connected to this issue or if it is absolutely nothing. Does a pulse over a 100 at rest cause concern? If I have a benign rhythm like I believe, can it cause strain elsewhere? Can I get back to normal activities ever again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User
    Re: Sinus Tachycardia???

I am been diagnosed with SVT (superventricular tachycardia) and IST (inappropriate sinus tachycardia) by 2 different Drs. Apparently according to the Drs, it really doesnt matter which as the treatment is the same and both are fairly benign.

I took Inderal (propranolol) for a couple years and then switched to metoprolol (also have gone down to a pretty low dose - 12.5mg twice a day) and the side effects are much better.

It is my advice that you have the tests they recommend. This is your HEART! Better to be safe than sorry IMO. Also, discuss the medication issues with your Dr. they did prescribe it for a reason and perhaps you just need a med or dose change.

Personally, I would not stop taking it. I prefer the minor side effects to the racing heart and palpitations ANYday!!

Good luck!!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
    hukleberrie
    Veteran
    (female)

hukleberrie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheers44 View Post
    I am been diagnosed with SVT (superventricular tachycardia) and IST (inappropriate sinus tachycardia) by 2 different Drs. Apparently according to the Drs, it really doesnt matter which as the treatment is the same and both are fairly benign.

I took Inderal (propranolol) for a couple years and then switched to metoprolol (also have gone down to a pretty low dose - 12.5mg twice a day) and the side effects are much better.

It is my advice that you have the tests they recommend. This is your HEART! Better to be safe than sorry IMO. Also, discuss the medication issues with your Dr. they did prescribe it for a reason and perhaps you just need a med or dose change.

Personally, I would not stop taking it. I prefer the minor side effects to the racing heart and palpitations ANYday!!

Good luck!!
    My doctor didn't seem too concerned today with the palpitations. I think she thinks thyroid issues. This might not surprise me too much since my mom also has a thryroid problem. I guess she wasn't concerned because I had this problem back in 96 when I was pregnant & they said it would go away & it eventually did. Now it's back. I think my pain makes it worse.

The side effects that I had the other day with the Inderal were pretty severe. I couldn't barely get up without feeling like I was spinning. I do NOT like the palps either, but can't handle being bedridden, especially with the rib pain I have been having, it's hard to lay down period.

I will post when I hear what they say about it & when I hear the results of my tests.... It was bad the other day but didn't seem bad earlier & now I am feeling that heart drop feeling along with the racing & I keep hoping it will go away!!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Hukleberrie, yes a problem with your kidneys can elicit a problem with heart stuff. You kidneys are one of the control centers for your blood pressure. It is called the renin-aldosterone cycle. If you have kidney problems it can trigger both changes in your blood pressure as well as your heart rate. Since you dont have insurance before you spend the money on a cardiologist, you might have a couple labs done. There are tests out there to test your levels, as well as your thyroid levels. Thyroid also impacts heart/blood pressure changes. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
    hukleberrie
    Veteran
    (female)

hukleberrie HB User

Yes, she did tests for thyroid & other stuff. I post when I hear the results...

Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
    Frodoh
    (male)

Frodoh HB User

Hukleberrie

How much Inderal were you taking?

I have good success with the beta-blocker called Toprol XL which is Metorprolol.

Hope all is well

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
    hukleberrie
    Veteran
    (female)

hukleberrie HB User

I quit taking the inderal. Made me feel dizzy & funny.

My doc just put me on Toprol XL. It isn't working on those palps, though. It has helped my blood pressure though. I am on 1/2 of a 50 mg pill a day at dinner.

Closed Thread