It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• SCARED Setoplasy, polop, and sinus cleaning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User
    SCARED Setoplasy, polop, and sinus cleaning

I will be having setoplsy, polp removal and sinus cleaning. I was wonderind from other who may have had this done, is the recovery long? What are some of the complication from these surgery? I will ge under general anesthia and from what I know will not be packed, just splinted. I am also having thyroid biopsy done at the same time. I am a little nervse about this whole thing. I have a teenager that I have to run around with. How long will it before I can drive? Has this type of sugery helped other with sinusitus? I was told I would be under for about an hour, it there a lot of pain? Will the doctor give me something for the pain if there is any? I also heard that you have to sleep sitting up for a few days becaue of the bleeding.
    Thanks in advance
    Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: SCARED Setoplasy, polop, and sinus cleaning

septoplasty = May be packed after this.. if the packing gets dry it will pull and burn. Keep your packing moist with liberal and frequent dosing of saline solution. Simply saline was the best for me and my husband. He went through multiple cans of it, using it every 2-4 fours that he was awake. This will give you the most discomfort. It will be sore and the packing will hurt when removed if it is dry. You will have a head ache and need to worry about sinus dryness. If the headache is excessive ask your MD if you can use Ponaris Nasal oil.. it is a OTC sterile oil that disinfects and protects your sinus membranes. Most pharmacies do not stock it, but all can order it for you and have it in 24-48 hours.

pollump removal = Some bleeding but the healing may only have incur a mild headache. Depending on the pollump size it may require a window cut in the back of the sinus cavity .. this will not bother you and you will heal quickly. I love my sinus windows. I actually drainout of my sinuses now.

sinus cleaning
    = Recovery nil.. the cleaning has no adverse effects other than possible sinus dryness.

I was wonderind from other who may have had this done, is the recovery long?
    3-4 weeks you will be sensitive to temp changes in the air in your sinuses and weather pressure changes.. you will also have minor head aches. The longest to heal will be the septum. Normally after 7-14 days packing will be removed and then you will go back in for a check up in another 2-3 weeks given your ENT's policy.

What are some of the complication from these surgery?

While your sinuses are full of blood and draining into your stomach.. you may have nausea and vomiting, stuffy head headaches, and nose bleeds. Minimize bending over at the waist.. sneezing and coughing.. these will hurt. Sinus dryness will cause bleeding. Saline spray and ponaris nasal oil when it is safe to apply it will be a blessing. The rest would be standard surgery complications.

I am also having thyroid biopsy done at the same time.
    Biopsy will be a breeze. My mother had this done, followed by a partial thyroidectomy. the biopsy just aggravated the neck lymph nodes causing a short term sore throat.

I am a little nervous about this whole thing. I have a teenager that I have to run around with. How long will it before I can drive?
    As long as you are on heavy pain medications and can not turn your head quickly.. you can not drive. When you can ween yourself off of whatever heavy pain meds he gives you, you can safely drive. Otherwise you are technically driving under the influence.

Has this type of surgery helped other with sinusitis? I was told I would be under for about an hour, it there a lot of pain?
    I had this done and more along with a tonsillectomy.. I no longer have my 9 month long sinus infection trials. As too pain. It was nothing. I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy and the same time as this.. by the time I was through my first two weeks of that recovery.. I only had stuffy head headaches to worry with. My husband was down for about 3-5 days on the heavy pain meds.. but he can not work with a cold.. then he was back to functioning with the saline spray attached to his hip.

Will the doctor give me something for the pain if there is any?

Yes. Most likely at least a few days if T3, dimerall, lortab.. one of those.

I also heard that you have to sleep sitting up for a few days because of the bleeding.

This is more due to the choking on drainage coughing issues that are painful. The reclined 30 to 40 degree slope of a recliner will be your friend. Otherwise sleeping flat on your back will be hack city.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-05-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Closed Thread