It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Severe Sinus Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
    aw4whitesox
    (male)

aw4whitesox HB User
    Severe Sinus Problems

I have had post nasal drip for several years and subsequently have that feeling of mucus stuck in the back of my throat. I am constantly hacking trying to cough it up and nothings there. I get sinus infections regularly and I catch every upper respitory virus that I come in contact with. The gagging is driving my wife insane ( and rightfully so, yuk ). What can I do? I have seen my doc. several times over the last few years about this and he keeps telling me it is probably just allergies, and prescibes a nasal spray that is only about 20% effective and doesn't last long. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
    jimswife44
    (female)

jimswife44 HB User
    Re: Sever Sinus Problems

Have you seen an ENT doctor about this problem? If not, perhaps your regular doctor could refer you.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
    aw4whitesox
    (male)

aw4whitesox HB User
    Unhappy Re: Sever Sinus Problems

Thanks for your reply. I have not been to ENT yet. I just recently lost my insurance coverage at work due to an astronomical premium increase. I was hoping someone else may have had similar symptoms at one time and could tell me what if anything the ENT was able to due. I can't afford to waste money on something that will not alleviate the problem.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
    jimswife44
    (female)

jimswife44 HB User

I used to have the post nasal drip, but now that has dried up. I still have congestion and pressure and I also have the feeling of a lump in the back of my throat, but very little comes up and it's very thick. I saw an ENT Tuesday and she is sending me for a CT scan of my sinuses on Monday. I am sorry about your health insurance. If I didn't have mine, I don't know what we would do. I have had so many tests done recently. If there is any way at all you can afford it, I would strongly suggest a consult with an ENT. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
    aw4whitesox
    (male)

aw4whitesox HB User

Thanks so much for your replies! I hope everything goes well for you. God bless!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
    jimswife44
    (female)

jimswife44 HB User

Thanks so much. Same to you.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

White Sox:
    I have had severe chronic sinusitis for the last 15 years. You name it, I have had it. I experienced a problem with many ENTs. MANY times there is a tie in with allergies and chronic sinusitis. I had to waste a lot of time with ENTs that would only treat the sinuses, but not the cause. Its very tough without the health insurance. There are 2 ways to get sinus infections: One way is to catch a virus, which turns into a bacterial and or fungal infection because the sinuses swell up and do not drain. The other way is to have an allergic reaction, which also makes the sinuses swell and not drain. So please be aware that many many times you are dealing with allergies that are causing it. The bane of existence is MOLD, which makes me so ill. I am currently recovering from a nightmare bout of sinusitis since Oct. 5th. The antibiotics didnt woek, so I am on an antifungal, which is helping. I got a virus....which turned bacterial....which then turned fungal, because the antibiotic killed off the fungus fighting bacteria (the good bacteria) as well as the bad bacteria. I am pretty much an expert on this topic, so ask me anything. I am sure I experienced it already.
    Sue

Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
    jimswife44
    (female)

jimswife44 HB User

Well, I have been having problems with sinuses for many years, but really bad problems since the end of August. The feeling of pressure comes and goes as does the feeling of drainage stuck in the back of my throat. I was scheduled for a CT of the sinuses for Mon. 10/29 (my birthday), but the ENT called today and said my insurance co. is reviewing the approval for the scan. Now I'm rescheduled for Nov. 2. Since the end of August, my life has been just having tests done and waiting on the results. I am currently using a saline mist to moisten the nasal passages (which helps some) and Nasaquort AQ ( a steroid spray ) I guess for inflammation. It helps a little, but I don't like using the steroid spray. Maybe soon I'll have some answers. An MRI was done, but they did it of the brain as well. It did show some swelling of the sinuses, but didn't focus in on the cause. My ENT said that it should have picked up if cancer cells were present or tumors, so that makes me feel a little better. Just more waiting, I guess. I'll be so glad when I can feel like me again. My ENT said if the CT was okay, we would look at allergies next.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Yea, definitely look into the allergy thing. I had to go a long long time before anyone made that allergy connection. Since i have the allergy thing figured out, I am better. I used to get like 7 infections a year. This year I got 2. Its all relative, I guess. I give my own allergy shots at home. The Dr. trained me to do it and I have been doing it for many years. (molds and pollens). And every 5 years I get retested and they serums gets tweaked a little. I drive 33 miles each way for this Dr. I wont let any other Dr. treat my sinuses. This is the only one that "gets" it.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
    aw4whitesox
    (male)

aw4whitesox HB User
    Smile Re: Sever Sinus Problems

Hey thanks so much! I had basically written off the whole allergies thing. I guess I just figured that since I have never experienced the usual allergies symptoms that most people do ( scratchy throat, itchy watert eyes, sneezing ) that I didn't have allergies. I will definately explore this further. I am curious to see if any of you have experienced the same problem I have with catching colds and such every month or so. It seems like I am always "sick". I hate it! I have always been a "Manly Man" and this is especially hard for me. Takes away from my manhood you know!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
    jimswife44
    (female)

jimswife44 HB User

I'm glad you were finally able to get some help with your problems. When I think of all the bad things it could be ( cancer, blockages ), I would be very willing to "settle" for allergies if something has to be wrong. Good luck to you and thanks for the info. God Bless.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I have a ton of allergies, NONE of which make me sneeze, get a runny nose, watery eyes,etc. The main sympton I get is swelling of the nasal passages and sinuses. Swelling=no draining= infection. I dont have hay fever or any of that. Also, I get a lot of these because I am a substitute elem. school teacher. Talk about a sitting duck. I may have to quit. I am almost 52 and these things are not going away as quickly as they used to. Bummer. I cannot get a cold EVER without it turning into a secondary bacterial sinus infection. Its not unmanly, but I can see why you would be utterly frustrated with this whole thing. One time I had it so bad I had to go on IV antibiotics for 9 weeks. Then 2 sinus surgeries. OY VEY! I missed my calling. I should have been a sinusitis consultant. LOL

Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
    aw4whitesox
    (male)

aw4whitesox HB User

SKZ,
    I guess I have a lot to look forward too, LOL. I will more than likely end up just dealing with it, at least until something changes and I get some insurance. I wish you the best with your situation. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
    pammcat
    (female)

pammcat HB User

Hello...i Was Wondering If Any Severe Allergy Sufferers Have Had Any Weird Eye Situations....i Have Cronic Sinus Infections Because I Do Not Have Insurance, I Went To An Allergist For A Few Visits. Tests Showed Many Allergies,,,didnt Test For Foods Yet... The Pressure In My Head And Eyes Has Been Extreme And My Eyes Have Been Effected Like They Cant Work Right To Much Pressure .when I Layed Down I Got Dizzy And My Vision Doubled And Went Weird For A Few Minutes Was Frightening...allergist Said This Could Happen When Pressure And Fluid Buildup Is So Intense...has Anypne Else Experienced This Type Of Situation.....still Nervrwracked ...please Reply...thanks Pammcat

Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User

Pammcat-

Does it hurt to read? I've had that. I have had sinus problems for years. I really recommend a neti pot (add water and salt) or the nasal spray that is just saline. Made a big difference.

Closed Thread