It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic sinusitis??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User
    Chronic sinusitis??

My GP has given up on me as has my ENT consultant so im coming here to see what you all think.

Last year I started with a blocked feeling in my left ear, it also went into my left cheek and side of the head like a sinus pain, it went on and on for months. I saw my GP who refered me to ENT, they did a CT scan and all was perfectly normal so sent me on my way and said I had TMJ or Neuralgia.

In March this year it came back on me, it had got better for a little while but I got sinusitis in feb and then I suffered with a blocked ear again for months and months, I saw the ENT man again in June and he did an ear pressure test and said all was perfect and not to worry.

I suffer almost daily with one of the ears/cheeks feeling full and often have a drip down back of my throat. It can be quite painful/uncomfortable and the side I get the discomfort in that nostril will feel blocked but the next day it could swap sides, does that make sense?lol!

Last week I started with a swollen throat feeling, I had white spots on my right tonsil so im taking penicillin from my doctor.

I am worrying its because ive chronic sinusitis, GP and ENT say im fine but I find it hard to believe it hadn't developed this year.

I also had bronchitis in August, something ive never had and im getting myself all worried.

Does it sound like chronic sinsuitis? my gp says its just alergies and the way I am, I get worse in the dry heat or damp weather, he says im little with delicate linings, grrrrrrrrr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Chronic sinusitis??

I'm not sure what's going on with you but a couple of thoughts - first of all, have you had allergy tests? If not, you should get tested to identify what you're allergic to or rule out allergies completely.

The other thing you might think about is whether you get heartburn very frequently - acid reflux can actually create symptoms similar to chronic sinusitis if the stomach acid irritates the membranes in your throat.

If the ENT doesn't think you have chronic sinusitis you probably don't have to worry about that - it's more important to figure out what else might be causing your symptoms.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

HI,

I sufer with awful heartburn at times, since childhood I recall having a snotty nose & bad wind pain in my tummy and chest. I always had them.

The thing is why would i get proper sinus and ear pain if I didnt have a sinus problem?

My arguement with my dr is that just because my CT scan was clear last year surely that doesn't mean I can't have chronic sinusitis now but he just laughs at me?????

Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

PS Here they do not do allergy testing anymore, the dr refused it.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

PS Here they do not do allergy testing anymore, the dr refused it.

Is it that they don't do it there, or that there is too long of a wait? I did a bit of research on the web and found numerous sites about allergy testing in the U.K.. I also found articles about there being some sort of allergy pandemic over there and that the wait for allergy testing is something like two years.

Do you have the option of paying for a test yourself through a private practice? Maybe that's an option.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thanks

My GP says they do not do it on the NHS anymore and that im probably allergic to a number of things including dust mites, chemicals in household cleaners etc....

Today I have a wierd symptom, my right ear feels abit warm and itchy and my nose and throat do too, very odd, lol!

If I had chronic sinusitis is it true that id more than likely have a fever and constant pain over the infected sinus?

Any reassurance appreicated.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
    healthy333
    (female)

healthy333 HB User

Hello Essica,

I have chronic sinusitis maxillaris, but there is no fever at all. In contrary I have never fever (normally from 35,5 - 36 degrees). What makes me so is my Thyroid. I have hypotireosis. My sinusitis is totally dry. My face is swollen and I have eyes pains (it is normally by sinusitis maxillaris, in the face).
    There is possibility that your sinusitis is from neck muscles (so told me more doctors for my case); could be from teeth as well.
    On your place I would make
    CT of NECK as also CT of SINUSITIS
    (CT shows all). If you can do that, do it.
    Beside that go to dentist and tell him your problems. Maybe some of teeth are sick and you don't feel it?

healthy333

Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thanks,

My GP does think im very tense so its muscle tension alot of it.

I would of thought that if i had chronic sinusitis id be unwell????? my gp said its an infection so I would have a fever, green mucus from nose, headaches and he said it would not jump sides every other day???

I am just fed up of it.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

If you've had consistent heartburn you should definitely consider the possibility that acid reflux is behind some of your symptoms. Below is a quote from research being done at the University of Wisconsin - if you go to Googl* and search for "Acid Reflux" and "Sinusitis" you'll find a lot more information.

"In patients with chronic sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses), a large number of acid reflux events reach the top of the esophagus near the sinuses compared to a control group. While acid reflux probably does not reach all the way to the sinuses, it could induce inflammation of nasal mucous, blocking the sinuses."

I don't know if Zantac is available over the counter in the UK but if it is, you could try taking Zantac for a couple of weeks to see if it addresses your heartburn symptoms and helps improve your sinuses - when my doctor recommended this to me I noticed an improvement in my sinus and asthma symptoms about 5 days after I started the meds.

Last edited by gcsjr; 12-15-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: blocked word

Closed Thread