It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus infection or something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
    droach274
    (male)

droach274 HB User
    Sinus infection or something else?

Hi,

My symptoms are hard to describe, but I'll give it a try :

* I have what feels like a pulling or pushing or pressure from behind my eyes/nose, or sometimes I think it is my jaw, or my teeth, other times my cheek-bones, other times my temples and sometimes my forehead. Sometimes I think it is my neck but when I concentrate on it it feels more like the the roof of my mouth.

It is not pain exactly, but it is incessant and makes it very hard to concentrate on work or social things. I have had mild versions of this for maybe about six months, but recently it has gotten worse and is pretty much constant now rather than on/off like before.

I went to the doctor last week and she said it sounded a lot like a deep seated sinus infection. Having read some about my symptoms on the internet I was a little dubious since people always seem to talk about sinus problems in conjunction with conjestion/phlegm etc. which I don't have at all. Well, in saying that I do have a feeling often of having phlegm at the back of my throat when I swallow but it is not anything that I can ever cough up or anything which doesn't seem to be what people typically say about sinus infections. Can sinus infections be facial the pressurt/discomfort without the phlegm?

Anyway, the doctor gave me 500mg of Amoxcillin 3 times a day for 5 days.

After taking these for 3 days I feel a bit rough - my symptoms are occasionally worse than before. Is this a good sign, in that the infection might be getting hit? Or am I clutching at straws there?

My question is - do my symptoms sound like a sinus infection is a good diagnosis of my problem? Or does it sound like it could be something else? I'd love to hear from anyone with similar symptoms or who might be able to give me a clue. My main problem is that I'm getting anxiety from fearing it might be something worse than just a sinus infection - I'm not a hypochondriac I'd just like to know whats up so I can stop worrying about it.

Thanks!

(PS - if there is a better board for this then please let me know).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User
    Re: Sinus infection or something else?

hi i have the same symptoms as you,its been going on for four years,doc put it all down to anxiaty,after going back and for to the doc for three years i asked him to look in my ear,he said my ear drum was badley retracted,and i need to see an ent,he said this could be the reason i have constant pressure left side of face, temple,behind left eye,and it has just gone to my gums and left side of the neck after having bad cold,he thinks my sinuses are infected,so put me on antibotix,but i know how you feel with this head and face thing, i was looking on this board,trying to find help,when i somebody said it could be my ear,have the doc checked your ears,good luck shirley

Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

forgot to mention i dont get much phlegm, but i do get dry throat,and find it hard to swallow. shirley

Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
    kristylynn10
    (female)

kristylynn10 HB User

Hi,
    I've also experienced very similar symptoms for the last 4 months now.
    It all started with a feeling of dizziness and light-headedness. Shortly after I began feeling pressure behind my left eye and in through my temple. I was first diagnosed with an inner ear infection by my family doctor. She gave me amoxicillan which did absolutely nothing, then clarithromycin which just gave me an upset stomach. I haven't been back to her so I have no idea if the ear infection is still present.

I have also heard "sinusitis" can be the issue but I've been skeptical because I've had absolutely NO sinus symptoms. No congestion, cough, sore throat, nothing.

I've been to the eye doctor twice now since my left eye feels so uncomfortable. Not painful, just strange. Like pressure in and around...a feeling of uneveness if that makes sense? My eye doctor says everything looks healthy from what he can see, but sent me to a Neuro-Ophthalmologist for a more extensive exam. I went there yesterday and he too said all looks healthy and normal. He scheduled an MRI for me this coming Tuesday but said he believed the problem is sinus related and not neurological. I pray that
    he's right!

I have myself very worried that it's something more serious than sinuses...especially since the symptoms have lasted for such a long time. I'm just tired of feeling this way and want some answers. I'm anxiously awaiting and dreading the results of the MRI at the same time.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through issues like this one.
    I'm generally a very healthy person and never worry about my health, but this one has got me down.

Please keep me updated on your journey as well!
    God bless

Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi all the best for, tuesdayi ts good your getting things done, ,im in the uk, and have been waiting for four months just to see an ent im putting my problems down to badley retracted ear drum, keep us informed shirley

Closed Thread