HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Symptoms of chronic sinusitis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/571474-symptoms-chronic-sinusitis.html)

Essica 01-22-2008 05:16 AM

Symptoms of chronic sinusitis

Can I ask how I would be feeling *if* I had chronic sinusitis?

I have just had a virus, (cough & cold) and I have been left with a shooting pain in my head, on the right side which someone has said to me is probably just inflamation of the nerves after the virus ive had and not to worry and also a really cold pain up my right nostril. I also have mucus in my throat daily which dr just says is the time of year and my cough is still lingering on which again is only in the throat.

I suffer every few days with blocked ears, ear pain, sinus pain over eyes/cheeks. I had ct scan 14mths ago and all was normal so they suggested it was allergies or neuraliga. I can breath freely out of my nose and I do not have a temperature.

Can someone reassure me that these do not sound like chronic sinusitis symptoms because I keep thinking the dr is leaving something untreated especially since I started with the shooting pain across the right side of my head. It comes and goes every 5 mins or so, very annoying.

gcsjr 01-23-2008 09:01 AM

Re: Symptoms of chronic sinusitis

Some of your symptoms are consistent with chronic sinusitis but others aren't - the blocked ears and sinus pain are very common for people with chronic sinusitis (although they don't typically go away and come back which is why it's labeled chronic sinusitis).

The mucus in your throat is a "maybe" - if it's discolored and draining down the back of your throat it may be sinus related but it could just as easily be from acid reflux or leftover from the virus you mention.

The fact that you can breathe freely out of your nose is probably the one that is least consistent - most of the folks I know (including myself) who have chronic sinusitis feel very stuffed up all of the time and have a hard time breathing through their nose.

I don't know about the shooting pain - I've never experienced that and have never had a doctor mention it as a symptom of chronic sinusitis...usually they ask about a dull ache and sinus pressure.

Hope that helps.

Essica 01-23-2008 09:13 AM

Thanks very much, thats reassuring.

I get abit snotty but I never feel like I cannot breath through my nose if u see wot I mean?

Do you feel bad with the chronic sinusitis? has yours been treated?

Thanks again.

gcsjr 01-23-2008 09:20 AM

Mine has been managed for a long time but yes, you feel very fatigued and run down (primarily because your body is constantly fighting a bacterial infection).

Essica 01-23-2008 02:04 PM

I do feel tired alot but GP says I have 3 children and low iron;)

I dont think I feel ill but I do pick up alot of viruses/bugs over the last year or so, I had bronchitis not long ago and since then I have had a few colds.

Would i be likely I would get a frequent fever and alot of pain?

Thanks for your help.

gcsjr 01-23-2008 02:39 PM

Not so much a fever and pain as constant sinus pressure and nasal congestion and maybe a low-grade fever. It's pretty much a 24 hour-a-day thing if you've got chronic sinusitis.

Essica 01-23-2008 03:54 PM

I see, I do have the symptoms most days but I also have regular blood counts due to having low iron stores and my GP says that count wouldn't be fine if I had an infection so I guess he is right.

I get these annoying sinus symptoms very regular though, sometimes lasting days other times weeks but then it may go for a few days before returning or swap sides, very annoying.

JordanSF 01-29-2008 05:36 PM

I had continual colds - head, chest, throat, etc and saw many doctors. They didn't know what it was. No one connected it to my tonsils. Finally a coworker suggested that I check out getting a tonsillectomy. That plus a radiofrequency turbinate reduction has made a huge difference. I can breathe now and I don't get sick at the drop of a hat! So you might want to get the tonsils looked at. . .

Essica 01-30-2008 08:48 AM

Thanks,

My tonsils seem to be fine my GP says.

Its wierd because its like every 2-3 days I get sinus pain one on side, mainly over the eye and in the ear then it will go for a few days then hit me again a few days later on the other side. So strange. My GP says chronic sinusitis wouldn't swap sides or come & go every few days but today the pain is back and im swallowing mucus again:(